Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Nisei intercooler piping compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009 | 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Nisei intercooler piping compatibility?

Just curious as to what FMICs work or don't work with the Nisei ic piping? Feel free to chime in with your setup!
Old Jan 12, 2009 | 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well, since most front mounts are designed to work with the stock IC pipes, and most ic pipes fit the stock front mount, I'd say you should be fine. I've only seen one case of an aftermarket front mount not matching up with another manufacturer's IC pipe setup, but I'm not sure exactly which parts. I want to say it was a perrin front mount with the cobb ic pipe setup, but I can't say for sure. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 12, 2009 | 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

+1 on what he ^^ said. All should be compatible with one another, since they are designed off the stock parts.
Old Jan 13, 2009 | 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

The Nisei Upper lines up perfectly to the stock intercooler inlet. I know this for fact because they used my car to make the jig for the pipes... and one of the BIG things nisei was **** about was making sure the pipes lined up. This was harder than you might think considering the entire pipe is one piece... There was alot of trial and error, and measuring, test-fitting etc.

If the aftermarket FMIC is made to spec, it should line up like the factory one.... if it doesn't line up, then its the intercooler that has the issue...

My ETS FMIC for example doesnt line up precisely. I purchased it from a local vendor and not directly through ETS so getting it exchanged proved to be a hassle. Tom did offer to "fix" the inlet for me but it meant finding a box big enough for it, packing it, shipping it at my cost, etc.... I used a flex coupler instead to align it.. but it was pretty off.... In this case, it was the ETS FMIC...
Old Jan 13, 2009 | 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

what he said!!

Originally Posted by antics22
The Nisei Upper lines up perfectly to the stock intercooler inlet. I know this for fact because they used my car to make the jig for the pipes... and one of the BIG things nisei was **** about was making sure the pipes lined up. This was harder than you might think considering the entire pipe is one piece... There was alot of trial and error, and measuring, test-fitting etc.

If the aftermarket FMIC is made to spec, it should line up like the factory one.... if it doesn't line up, then its the intercooler that has the issue...

My ETS FMIC for example doesnt line up precisely. I purchased it from a local vendor and not directly through ETS so getting it exchanged proved to be a hassle. Tom did offer to "fix" the inlet for me but it meant finding a box big enough for it, packing it, shipping it at my cost, etc.... I used a flex coupler instead to align it.. but it was pretty off.... In this case, it was the ETS FMIC...
Old Jan 13, 2009 | 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Outstanding info -- I was seriously considering going with the Nisei UICP with the ETS FMIC (from RRE -- which sounds like where you got it from) but now that I know fitment is pretty off...I might just bite the bullet and go with AMS.

4myX -- Did you run into any issues with the Nisei UICP and the AMS FMIC???

Thanks

Last edited by JayDub514; Jan 13, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2009 | 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Glad I could help. For what its worth, according to Tom, the FMIC came from an initial batch of FMIC's that were jigged incorrectly and shipped out by mistake to the vendor... Tom also stated that the vendor was not supposed to sell those pieces... So my case could have been an one-off scenario...

For all i know, the ETS FMIC's now might fit dandy... I have the 4" one btw.
Old Jan 14, 2009 | 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor

If the nesei pipes work with the stock intercooler there should not be a problem with our intercoolers. We have had several customers run there lower pipe with our intercooler and no fitment problems at all. We both use similar inlet and outlet locations on the cooler.

I think the older Nisei pipes might be different then the newer versions. I know they have two different types of coolers so I'm not sure if the piping changed as well? That would be a good question to ask Jedi.

Do you have pics of your fitment problems with the Nisei intercooler? Unfortunitly, I didn't help you so I don't have much info.

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

Michael
Old Jan 15, 2009 | 02:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ETS Sales
If the nesei pipes work with the stock intercooler there should not be a problem with our intercoolers. We have had several customers run there lower pipe with our intercooler and no fitment problems at all. We both use similar inlet and outlet locations on the cooler.

I think the older Nisei pipes might be different then the newer versions. I know they have two different types of coolers so I'm not sure if the piping changed as well? That would be a good question to ask Jedi.

Do you have pics of your fitment problems with the Nisei intercooler? Unfortunitly, I didn't help you so I don't have much info.

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

Michael
Hi Michael, here are the pictures of the fitment issue I was talking about. I used the stock upper pipe so you can see how off the fitment is when mated to the ETS FMIC. Note how far back towards the radiator, that inlet is and how long it is. The FMIC is mounted at the bottom by the two lower bolts in those pictures and the studs are hanging off the rubber hangers... Thats how the ETS FMIC i received sits completely mounted...

STOCK UPPER TO ETS 4" FMIC:

FOR REFERENCE, I TOOK OFF THE ETS AND PUT THE OEM FMIC ON TO SEE HOW THE ALIGNMENT LOOKED ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL.... LINES UP, RIGHT?

Old Jan 15, 2009 | 08:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Hi Michael, here are the pictures of the fitment issue I was talking about. I used the stock upper pipe so you can see how off the fitment is when mated to the ETS FMIC. Note how far back towards the radiator, that inlet is and how long it is. The FMIC is mounted at the bottom by the two lower bolts in those pictures and the studs are hanging off the rubber hangers... Thats how the ETS FMIC i received sits completely mounted...

STOCK UPPER TO ETS 4" FMIC:

FOR REFERENCE, I TOOK OFF THE ETS AND PUT THE OEM FMIC ON TO SEE HOW THE ALIGNMENT LOOKED ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL.... LINES UP, RIGHT?

We had a bad batch with some of the first intercoolers that shipped out. It looks like you might have received one that slipped by.

The length/angle of the inlet and outlet is correct on all the new coolers.

If you still have the old intercooler let me know so we can fix it.

Sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

Thanks,

Michael

Last edited by ETS Michael; Jan 15, 2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2009 | 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Wow...that's not even close to lining up!
Old Dec 24, 2009 | 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Can anyone comment on the buschur or the ams intercooler with nisei piping