Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS How to build a bullet proof 4b11 Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's funny how every generation of Evo, guys on this forum ***** and complain about the changes made in one way or another. I've watched guys on this forum doin it since the 7 when I first joined. Most recently, at least 80% of the guys on this forum complained about Mitsu coming out with the 4b11 crying that it wouldn't live up to the prehistoric 4g63. Good job AMS for showing the whiny little girls that it wouldn't take long at all for some serious internal bullet-proofing. You'd think it would be the old farts being afraid of change but that's not the case. Again, great job AMS!!!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Hey MR. Mean Sir, whenever something new comes along, people will ask is it better than the last model. Nothing wrong with this; just a "show me"attitude. NOthing more, nothing less! Ease up big fella.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:43 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MrMeaner
I think it's funny how every generation of Evo, guys on this forum ***** and complain about the changes made in one way or another. I've watched guys on this forum doin it since the 7 when I first joined. Most recently, at least 80% of the guys on this forum complained about Mitsu coming out with the 4b11 crying that it wouldn't live up to the prehistoric 4g63. Good job AMS for showing the whiny little girls that it wouldn't take long at all for some serious internal bullet-proofing. You'd think it would be the old farts being afraid of change but that's not the case. Again, great job AMS!!!

OT: But I remember making that classic quote! Thanks for keeping it alive!!!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KPerez
Yup Tim, they are definitely larger! So the aluminum is lighter but not as strong, therefore, the need for increased thickness all around. So how does one determine the benefits of going aluminum vs steel? Is the weight a wash between the two and if so what is the advantage then of going to aluminum? Just curious here.

Later, Ken
Weight is the biggest benefit in using a aluminum rod. Obviously due to the size of the rod it may not physically fit in the constraints of some applications. If you do a search for threads on aluminum rods there are many pros and cons to them. We ran al. rods in our drag car for the last few years and with the proper maintenance and inspections have had zero failures. Many people are now using these rods in road racing and daily driven cars. i feel that there have been many advances in forging processes and materials.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 01:57 PM

are they zero deck pistons???
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:56 PM

Aluminum Rods have a relatively short term life!

I think using Aluminum Rods is a proper thing for you to do, to be able to build your test 4B11 motor in a shorter time, and they will take a tremendous amount of punishment for a long enough period of time to give you the information you need now.

For a long term solution I think you will agree that a billet steel rod or a forged steel rod, which would take much longer to produce, is a much more appropriate long term choice.

As you said proper maintenance (replacing the Aluminum Rods with-in their known Life cycle) is key in the success of running a motor with aluminum rods that are relatively cheaper and faster to make. -
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:08 PM

What alloy are the rods?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 07:40 AM

Aluminum Rod Alloy

Not absolutely sure about the alloy, but I would guess it would have to be something close to a forged 7075 alloy to get the strength needed for a "Rod" application.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

subscribed...whats going on with the head??
Old Mar 4, 2009, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

This build is insane, great job AMS! I've got a huge
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

any updates available
Old Mar 8, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Yup Tim, they are definitely larger! So the aluminum is lighter but not as strong, therefore, the need for increased thickness all around. So how does one determine the benefits of going aluminum vs steel? Is the weight a wash between the two and if so what is the advantage then of going to aluminum? Just curious here.

Later, Ken
EDIT: Dang you guys are posting fast. I responded and several people beat me to it

He said that he needed a custom length, so it was much faster to have the aluminum rods made. It usually takes us 2-3 weeks to get a custom length rod in aluminum, and I think I waited several months for my steel rods to be made.

Also the aluminum rod is forgiving and can absorb some shock in the case of preignition or other stressing conditions.

Also FWIW, we have tried everything we can to get weight out of the bottom end and really have never picked up ET on any motor with lightweight block components, but see big gains lightening valvetrain.

Last edited by DRAG; Mar 8, 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 09:02 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
is there a risk of stripping the threads with the strengthened studs since it is aluminum(block and head)?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:38 AM

Smile Less Friction at the Threads!

The benefit in using after market Head Studs is the reduction of friction at the threads. The relatively much longer thread at the end of the Stock "Head Bolt" has a relatively much higher friction value when torquing the "Head Bolt" during installation than when the "Nut" on an after market "Head Stud" assembly is torqued during installation. This reduction in friction translates into higher clamping forces applied to the Head to Block interface because less torquing energy (clamping force) is lost to friction at the threads.
Also the aftermarket "Head Studs" are of a higher tensile strength and therefore stretch less under full boost thus maintaining a higher clamping force.
Another advantage using after market “Head Studs” is less wear and tear on the threads in the Aluminum Block because the studs are only put in once even though the Head may be R&R’d many times.
As far as increasing the stock specified torque value, when using after market “Head Studs”, I would guess that most engine builders here may only go up 5 lb. ft. over the stock specification. Not being an expert on the 4B11 Motor I would be interested to know if my assumption is correct about this.
So in short to answer your question – no the threads in the aluminum 4B11 block are not at risk of being stripped out when using after market “Head Studs”.

Hope this helps your understanding of the benefits of using after market “Head Studs” -