Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Official Evolution X Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009 | 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by migs647
I'm starting to think the only quiet exhaust is the HKS Legamax, which Michael shows has a massive restriction. I'm really thinking the only exhaust that will work for me is the factory exhaust

The most restrictive part of your exhaust is the CAT. So - if you have a cat anything better than stock will make a difference. I was running a works stealth muffler before I did turbo back and I could feel a difference.

FYI - I got a custom exhaust made for my cat back and I am very pleased with the results. This approach is much cooler to me. As long as you have a good design and and good muffler shop.

I will post some videos for the people who are not happy with what is available. Custom is the way - you can pick exactly what tips you want and exactly how you want it to sound etc. It is more hassle, but the result is much better.
Old Oct 8, 2009 | 06:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Can't you get the JDM Ralliart exhaust cheap? I'd go with that
Nah thats pretty dear as well

Originally Posted by CatalystGod
I was thinking you could get something similar from MRT, wouldn't you. They seem like a respectable shop/business.
Yeh I think MRT are doing a "gutted" stock exhaust, but I want something a little different...
Old Oct 18, 2009 | 07:48 PM
EvoM Community Team

I can't decide on exhausts at all. I'm leaning towards single exit more every day. So far top choices are JIC spartan partial Titanium, ams single exit, perrin dual exit, or ralliart dual exit. I want something that has a great sound, has great gains, has weight loss, is semi-quiet and doesn't drone when driving down the freeway. Too many choices
Old Oct 18, 2009 | 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Have you heard any in person? That definitely will help your decision. If you attend any local meets that is a good opportunity to hear different exhaust systems. I'm sure someone wouldn't mind giving you a ride in their car so you can hear the exhaust at speed.
Old Oct 18, 2009 | 08:02 PM
EvoM Community Team

Pretty good idea, not too many Xs around here though . I might have to wait until spring since not many drive their evos during the fall and winter here. I'll post in the local forums to see what pops up.
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 06:45 AM

Specialty X

Ok..I finally broke down a bought the Specialty X.. I love the way it looks and sounds. I haven't got it yet. Does anyone one else who has bought this yet have any complaints?

Droning in the cabin area? High speed too?

Thanks,

B
Old Oct 25, 2009 | 12:11 PM

Question UK Evo X - Milltek cat-back exhaust

Hello everyone!
Has anyone tried this exhaust system?

I need to open the Evo's voice up as I can't live with the large vacuum cleaner sound it's emitting at the moment. I don't want to have the kind of system that sets of car alarms, but more along the lines of a WRX STI Prodrive system (as reference).

Here is a link the the one I have been looking at: http://www.milltek.co.uk/media.file.cfm?fileid=554

The video is not very good on their site so you can't really get an idea how it will fully sound like.

I have two young kids and don't want to give them hearing problems from being in Daddy's car

Last edited by MrCreeky; Oct 25, 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2009 | 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor

I can't decide on exhausts at all. I'm leaning towards single exit more every day. So far top choices are JIC spartan partial Titanium, ams single exit, perrin dual exit, or ralliart dual exit. I want something that has a great sound, has great gains, has weight loss, is semi-quiet and doesn't drone when driving down the freeway. Too many choices
We can build a single exhaust for you! We have built a few in the past, but never brought it to market, we are currently building a 3.5" for a customer, I will get pics up shortly.

Thanks!

Michael
Old Oct 26, 2009 | 08:43 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
We can build a single exhaust for you! We have built a few in the past, but never brought it to market, we are currently building a 3.5" for a customer, I will get pics up shortly.

Thanks!

Michael
Intriguing... we'll be talking shortly. This may be what I need (might have to also get one of those new nifty SST coolers )
Old Oct 26, 2009 | 08:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Sounds Good! Talk to you soon
Old Nov 3, 2009 | 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone know when the Tanabe Concept G Blue is expected out?
Old Nov 4, 2009 | 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by MrCreeky
Hello everyone!
Has anyone tried this exhaust system?

I need to open the Evo's voice up as I can't live with the large vacuum cleaner sound it's emitting at the moment. I don't want to have the kind of system that sets of car alarms, but more along the lines of a WRX STI Prodrive system (as reference).

Here is a link the the one I have been looking at: http://www.milltek.co.uk/media.file.cfm?fileid=554

The video is not very good on their site so you can't really get an idea how it will fully sound like.

I have two young kids and don't want to give them hearing problems from being in Daddy's car
I don't have this exhaust on my Evo, but I did have a Milltek turboback on my VW Jetta. It was not loud at all, a very mellow town that sounded really good. It did not have any resonance on the highway either. The quality was top notch too. I would guess that this will be pretty similar in sound quality and build quality to what I had.
Old Nov 5, 2009 | 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrCreeky
I need to open the Evo's voice up as I can't live with the large vacuum cleaner sound it's emitting at the moment.
I really believe the VACUUM CLEANER noise is from the stock cat. I installed a high flow, and haven't heard it since. I really hate that sound from other stock X's though (even ones WITH catbacks). Some people say they like that noise though... I guess it's... unique?

PS if you ditch the stock cat, you will want a MUCH quieter exhaust to compensate. I had the Bushur loud, now on the Buschur quiet, and it still can be embarassingly loud with non car people along. Not sure who to throw my money at next .
Old Nov 5, 2009 | 11:16 AM
EvoM Community Team

I'm thinking of going with a high flow cat as well, i really have no idea what exhaust to go with.
Old Nov 5, 2009 | 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I'm thinking of going with a high flow cat as well, i really have no idea what exhaust to go with.
I like the look of the UR system. Haven't heard it though. Afraid it might be as loud as my Buschur. I would think something with two real mufflers would be best for me. Another consideration is ground clearance. Returning the mufflers to the stock location and not having any other resonators will help a lot. Also, single exit is no good on a car designed for dual (even if it is a 4 cyl). that's just my opinion though.

Quick Reply: Official Evolution X Exhaust Thread