Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Official Evolution X Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009 | 02:50 PM

was basically looking at doing the Perrin Stage 2 on my MR Touring once I get it.
Does anyone else have this set up and does it drone at all at low Rs ?

i come from 3 V8 Audis and a 335i.

Looking for a 'little' bit louder and deeper than stock, but I HATE drone, as in LA traffic it kills.
Old Dec 31, 2009 | 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kujoX
was basically looking at doing the Perrin Stage 2 on my MR Touring once I get it.
Does anyone else have this set up and does it drone at all at low Rs ?

i come from 3 V8 Audis and a 335i.

Looking for a 'little' bit louder and deeper than stock, but I HATE drone, as in LA traffic it kills.
As long as you maintain a HFC, the Perrin should sound quite nice.
Old Dec 31, 2009 | 03:04 PM

I do beleive the Stage 2 package from them gives you a TBE with HFC, as I don't think you can buy the Perrin TBE without a HFC DP

is this wrong ?
Old Dec 31, 2009 | 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

I do beleive the Stage 2 package from them gives you a TBE with HFC, as I don't think you can buy the Perrin TBE without a HFC DP

is this wrong ?
You are correct. Some folks run their (Perrin) Cat-back with test pipe. In my opinion, not worth it.
Old Jan 1, 2010 | 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

I kind of wish I got this exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j8ILO6pG64
Old Jan 1, 2010 | 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fishstix
I kind of wish I got this exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j8ILO6pG64
Thats the one im getting
Old Jan 1, 2010 | 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Any thoughts on the Cobb Limited vs. the Perrin? I want a quiet dual, and these look pretty similar.
Old Jan 2, 2010 | 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by GetterDragun
Any thoughts on the Cobb Limited vs. the Perrin? I want a quiet dual, and these look pretty similar.
What is the Cobb made of gold ?
$1,200 for a "LE" cat back ??????? for real ?
Old Jan 2, 2010 | 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

What is the Cobb made of gold ?
$1,200 for a "LE" cat back ??????? for real ?
What matters most to me is that I want a full 3" that is the quietest. If the Cobb is quieter than the Perrin, I'd go with that. I do like the tips of the Cobb better, but I'm not going to lie and say the price isn't a factor, but if the Cobb is noticeably quieter, then I would go with that, assuming performance is roughly the same between the two.
Old Jan 2, 2010 | 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Billy's MR
Thats the one im getting
Sounds good.

I might sell my Blitz and buy one. I dunno though. I do like being quiet. Cops don't really give me any attention.
Old Jan 2, 2010 | 05:29 PM

Here are a few pictures of a Specialty X Exhaust installed on my evo. I got this a couple months ago just haven't posted pics. Sounds great at idle and at highspeeds. Looks like it might bottom out near bumps and such but havn't experienced this problem yet (not lowered). Thanks to Sebastian for helping me out at Specialty X! If anyone has questions let me know.

-B

-B
Old Jan 2, 2010 | 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

What matters most to me is that I want a full 3" that is the quietest. If the Cobb is quieter than the Perrin, I'd go with that. I do like the tips of the Cobb better, but I'm not going to lie and say the price isn't a factor, but if the Cobb is noticeably quieter, then I would go with that, assuming performance is roughly the same between the two.
I have not been able to find an answer to this. But, one more option for you to look into is the buschur crossflow cat-back. This thing is very quiet....I am down to the cobb, perrin and buschur. Now, I will say TurboXS is also reported as being quiet...
Old Jan 2, 2010 | 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
I have not been able to find an answer to this. But, one more option for you to look into is the buschur crossflow cat-back. This thing is very quiet....I am down to the cobb, perrin and buschur. Now, I will say TurboXS is also reported as being quiet...
You sound like you are in the same boat as me. I looked at the Buschur, but mufflers mounted towards the front tend to drone. That's why I'm down to the Perrin or the Cobb. I've had Perrin parts before and they were good, but the Cobb looks a little nicer (because of the tips). I am just wondering if the Cobb is that much better than the Perrins, because I could get a Perrin TBE for almost the same price as the Cobb. Though even a few decibels lower could justify the price.
Old Jan 2, 2010 | 08:04 PM

true, I like the tips better and loved the sound, but price is ridiculous for a CB.

I come from BMW and Audi's and those are high prices anywhere for a CB.

But, Perrin's doesn't seem much louder in only CB form.

I think I'm going to go with Perrin TBE but as another poster said, the Buschur's seem nice too.
Old Jan 3, 2010 | 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

true, I like the tips better and loved the sound, but price is ridiculous for a CB.

I come from BMW and Audi's and those are high prices anywhere for a CB.

But, Perrin's doesn't seem much louder in only CB form.

I think I'm going to go with Perrin TBE but as another poster said, the Buschur's seem nice too.
The price is high but I would't say "ridiculous". I also disagree heavily with BMW and Audi after market CBs costing less. For a reference, the Borla CB exhaust for the BMW 335 costs $1129.00 while the HKS Legamax Premuim costs $1995.00. The EVO versions of the exhaust mentioned are both cheaper. Unless you are comparing single sided exhaust prices against the EVO's dual sided exhausts, which is an Apples to Orange comparison IMO.

I looked at the Perrin but the tips looked crude IMO, like a piece of cut pipe. If the Perrin had better looking tips I would have considered them more.

Quick Reply: Official Evolution X Exhaust Thread