Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Has anyone blown a motor

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanna hear more about the x that overboosted? Any information?

Originally Posted by PR_Mivec
i know a few X's here in PR broken by owner/driver mistakes and overboost...

i know an instance of 2 x's breaking at the same day (racing) because of overboost

theres a guy here w/ a white one (pepe colon's son for those who know pr folk) he is on his 3rd going on 4th engine already...

common failure comes from the piston 'skirt' cracking under boost
Old Feb 6, 2009, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have any picture of the skirt breaking? That is really odd place to break, and expecially a Mahle piston.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

I have had this happen on an svt built engine from my focus, it is due to high AFR not over boost is what I have been told. What are these pistons made out of is it hyper eut? I am sure I could hit search and find the answer but really dont want to right now.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRAG
Do you have any picture of the skirt breaking? That is really odd place to break, and expecially a Mahle piston.
Is this the same Mahle as the powerworks supercharger company?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRAG
here you go

original (taken on september 06, 2008 from my cel phone cam)

big circle is main dmg to piston
circle below is section of skirt that was cracked

the picture is not to defined enough but the skirt is cracked i held this piston in my hand
Old Feb 6, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by philamthebest
I wanna hear more about the x that overboosted? Any information?

both cars where on mbc tunned "in the heat" of the race both guys up the boost w/o looking @ wideband... that why i wrote 'driver error by overboost'
Old Feb 7, 2009, 01:45 AM
Evolved Member

both cars where on mbc tunned "in the heat" of the race both guys up the boost w/o looking @ wideband... that why i wrote 'driver error by overboost'
Thank you for clearing that up.

Just want to let everyone know, down in PR. Most guys don't play it too safe. They will push until something gives.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

That is correct...
I for example before ecuflash i was pushing 24-26psi untunned...i knew something was wrong when limp mode kicked in hehehehe those where funny times..
At least now i play it safe now that i have the tools...
Old Feb 7, 2009, 09:20 PM

My car is making 411 whp. Parts were custom built by Xtremeboost, turbo was purchased from CBRD (Blouch), and the tuning was performed by Jestr Tuning. My car has over 13,000 miles on it and I have beat the hell out of it after I first broke it in for 2,000 miles. Once I replace the stock exhaust, I should gain at least another 50 whp because I can turn up the boost (I am experiencing some surging due to the stock exhaust when I turn up the boost so I am just going to have to be satisfied with 411 whp until I get that fixed. My point here is that if you get your parts from those who sell or build high quality parts, and get it tuned by someone who knows what they are doing, then you should be fine. The X is a beast and the engine is very strong. BTW - all the numbers mentioned here are on pump 93 gas.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 11:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here you go

original (taken on september 06, 2008 from my cel phone cam)

big circle is main dmg to piston
circle below is section of skirt that was cracked

the picture is not to defined enough but the skirt is cracked i held this piston in my hand
It seems a few others are damaging the ring land are on the X pistons. What are they doing? New blocks and cranks or sleeving the existing ones?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 02:17 PM

nope
Old Feb 8, 2009, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by drewgray
So, you think by revving it high before break in, it some how blew his engine ( you do realize you said it happened when he had 3000miles on the car which is a good amount beyond break-in for an engine)? You do know there are rev limits in place set by Mitsubishi to stop that. Either way, a stock car with 3000 miles on it had its engine blow, and you don't think that would fall under the warranty? Even with the clutch destroyed, how does that prove abuse? How could you differentiate between abuse and a someone who simply doesn't know how to drive the car (slipping the clutch too much)?
I am not differentiating. That is great mitsu hooked him up, but I still think he is an idiot for blowing his motor, cuz I am pretty sure it was his fault, not mitsubishi's.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
It seems a few others are damaging the ring land are on the X pistons. What are they doing? New blocks and cranks or sleeving the existing ones?
that one in particular went bored w/ custom pistons the block was not harmed
Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by THEMEMPHISFORCE
I am not differentiating. That is great mitsu hooked him up, but I still think he is an idiot for blowing his motor, cuz I am pretty sure it was his fault, not mitsubishi's.
But how is he an idiot? How do you know it was his fault? You must be either young or not been around many engines if you don't think that build error can cause more problems than anyones driving. If you don't torque, say, a rod bolt correctly, it will fail and tear all sorts of things up.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by drewgray
But how is he an idiot? How do you know it was his fault? You must be either young or not been around many engines if you don't think that build error can cause more problems than anyones driving. If you don't torque, say, a rod bolt correctly, it will fail and tear all sorts of things up.
Well how would you know? Have you blown up a EVo X motor? Unless you have how can you claim it is mitsubishi's fault? Also, I have worked on many motors.

Quick Reply: Has anyone blown a motor