Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Has anyone blown a motor

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not saying its either person's fault. I am merely asking how can you infer its one person's fault or the other without seeing the engine itself or building the engine yourself? You are making invalid assumptions because you have not seen a thing.

EVERY manufacturer builds engines that go boom at no fault to the user. That is FACT. Yes, even your precious Evo can be built incorrectly. Shocking, I know.

Edit: Also, just curious, in your earlier post you say it was from a "high rev", how high of an RPM do you consider too high on the Evo X?

Last edited by drewgray; Feb 9, 2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by drewgray
I am not saying its either person's fault. I am merely asking how can you infer its one person's fault or the other without seeing the engine itself or building the engine yourself? You are making invalid assumptions because you have not seen a thing.

EVERY manufacturer builds engines that go boom at no fault to the user. That is FACT. Yes, even your precious Evo can be built incorrectly. Shocking, I know.
But you also my friend, have no claim, to make have you seen or built one of these new all aluminum engines in the EVO? You don't have a leg to stand on either. And again, unless you have blown an EVO X motor and seen the inside you don't know what you are taking about either. So we are both wrong then.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

I am not claiming its one or the others' fault. I am making no claims, you are. Can you answer me, how high do you consider too high of an RPM in the Evo X?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

I am not claiming its one or the others' fault. I am making no claims, you are. Can you answer me, how high do you consider too high of an RPM in the Evo X?
Alright dude say what you want, fact is, I think the guy who blew his motor up is stupid, I think this because he probably abused, now I don't know for sure, but only what others who know him more then me, have told me. So frankly I don't give a crap. My EVO runs/drives great. That is all that I care about. I am done here. If you think I am making claims, well whatever, I said what I said and no point in arguing what you don't know. Cuz frankly I don't know alot about these cars, all I do know is this person blew his motor and what the tech at mitsu dealer told me, so I think it is stupid. End of story....
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Nice job side-stepping my questions.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Nice job side-stepping my questions.
I will answer it sure. past 7k when it is new, will hurt the motor before break in, I would think, but I really don't, knowing the properties of metal and a block that is sleeved, high rpm prior to piston rings being wore in would cause damage, I can only speak for what I have seen in V8's and well this is no v8 so I don't know, but anyway. I am just busting your *****, no hard feelings I hope, I know your screen name cuz I know you blew your motor at 3k and I personally saw your clutch, so you where HARD on it. BTW, if you still don't know who I am just walk into the control center, you will know what I mean.

Edit: I only starting saying you where stupid and an idiot when I saw your screen name just to see what you would say. I think you are alright, just hard on cars.

BTW: You don't have you side step my question I already know, you blew your motor.

Last edited by THEMEMPHISFORCE; Feb 9, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

And like I said. You don't have the facts. I do. I have pictures of ****, and I KNOW what caused my engine failure. Just because you drive a car hard, doesn't mean it will hurt the engine. If it were dangerous to rev to 7600 (the stock rev limiter), then the mitsu engineers would have set the limit lower. I didn't void the warranty, hence, Mitsubishi has no grounds to stand on denying my claim. I have lawyers to back me up as well, I promise you there is a reason they didn't deny my claim.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Easy....... that is cool David, like I said before, I think it is awesome that mitsu hooked you up, and again, I am just repeating what the evo tech told me, he thought you were running NOS. And I just when he said that. Sorry if I came across as a dick, wasn't trying to be, just giving you some crap cuz you blew your motor or mitsu blew your motor whichever way you look at it.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

1. Break-in procedures can always be 100% debated.

2. Any engine can be blown, especially when leaned out.

3. High RPM's will not blow a motor that's built for it, but high RPM's *will* wear down components faster than the same engine not redlined all of the time.

4. Cracks in pistons (like pictured) come from excessive heat (ran too lean). Ringlands CRACKING (but not melting) comes from excessive horsepower for a given set of pistons.

- Louis
Old Feb 10, 2009, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PR_Mivec
i know a few X's here in PR broken by owner/driver mistakes and overboost...

i know an instance of 2 x's breaking at the same day (racing) because of overboost

theres a guy here w/ a white one (pepe colon's son for those who know pr folk) he is on his 3rd going on 4th engine already...

common failure comes from the piston 'skirt' cracking under boost
I saw the pics of the cracked piston in a later post, thanks for posting that. Do you know how much boost was at when they cracked? (i.e. was it a spike to something above, say, 30PSI?)
Old Feb 10, 2009, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that detail i dont have....

but on my car im running a dangerous spike and i cant seem to fix it either by programming or unscrewing the wga.... is spiking to 28~30 then dropping to 19~20, this is not normal obviously...
wot skipe of almost 30psi is dangerous on any car i dont care how safe the afr is
Old Feb 10, 2009, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

I remember a failed 4B11 just after the car was released. The car had ~500 miles on it, no abuse. They were searching for a new block...at that time which is why I remember. It was pretty much a lost cause, I don't even wana see the bill for that from Mitsu.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 09:41 PM
Account Disabled

We lent our shop X to a customer who apparently shifted from 2nd to 1st and a pin in the MIVEC gear sheared off and as a result the pistons tagged all the valves and one of the pistons cracked.

We simply installed new valves and a set of Buschur pistons which have been really amazing

Al