Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Has anyone blown a motor

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009 | 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone blown a motor

Just curious how these motors are holding up to the abuse.
Old Jan 22, 2009 | 05:39 PM

We have US-spec car under 10k milage with piston pin circlip failure. Bottom end destroyed. Standard car driven by older person, no abuse.
Old Jan 22, 2009 | 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

That would be the first failed 4b11t I have heard of. I've been waiting to see someone pop one. these damn race car shops on this site just build their parts too good i guess :P.

.... that was a compliment btw to all the shops
Old Jan 22, 2009 | 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

There is another one caused by probably a money shift... Owner denies it. The valve kissed the piston. X GSR.
Old Jan 22, 2009 | 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

I have seen two local with blown engines. One with a lot of mods, one stock.
Old Jan 22, 2009 | 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

seen 05 rs evo E-85 w/ fp green, 420hp/410tq blow at half throttle
Old Jan 22, 2009 | 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by txfoster
Just curious how these motors are holding up to the abuse.
hey dude lost one from a turbo that let go
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 02:30 AM
Evolving Member

A guy I work with blew his all stock GSR at 3000 miles, the clutch was destroyed so he abused it. My guess high rev before break in. The piston rod lengthened and pushed the valve thru the head, mitsu had to eat the replace cuz insurance wouldn't cover it, they said his clutch proved it was abuse. But he doesn't know that!!!! I found out from the evo tech at the dealer last week....Anyway mitsu gave him a new L4 block, flywheel, and clutch.......I couldn't believe it.
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
There is another one caused by probably a money shift... Owner denies it. The valve kissed the piston. X GSR.
That's the only one i have heard of until now. No one else comes fwd.

And to the OP, dont believe everything you read online, FYI.

Any engine can be destroy, it is how it happen that tells your everything. If the car is not tuned properly or mistreated even a Ferrari will blow.

You will be surprise how many post you will find with people that just throw stuff on their cars and just think it will work. When the codes start to show up, they start to cry. You can't just slap stuff together and pray for a miracle.
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
You will be surprise how many post you will find with people that just throw stuff on their cars and just think it will work. When the codes start to show up, they start to cry. You can't just slap stuff together and pray for a miracle.
Yeah, that.

It blows my mind how much stupid stuff people keep doing to their $30k cars.
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 08:20 PM
Account Disabled

Lets keep this related to Evo X 4b11t engines only, its the reason its in this section.
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by THEMEMPHISFORCE
mitsu had to eat the replace cuz insurance wouldn't cover it, they said his clutch proved it was abuse. But he doesn't know that!!!!
I'm a little confused here; he tried to make a claim on his blown motor? And who doesn't know what?
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stokEd
I'm a little confused here; he tried to make a claim on his blown motor? And who doesn't know what?
Mitsu replaced the motor, clutch and flywheel. They had to eat the costs, their insurance is usually what covers that. Well it didn't and reason being because when they turned it in, the report came back and driver abuse so it was denied. The guy I work with doesn't know that, it was denied by the insurance. So, if and when he does it again, they told me they won't cover it, if abuse is present.
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

i know a few X's here in PR broken by owner/driver mistakes and overboost...

i know an instance of 2 x's breaking at the same day (racing) because of overboost

theres a guy here w/ a white one (pepe colon's son for those who know pr folk) he is on his 3rd going on 4th engine already...

common failure comes from the piston 'skirt' cracking under boost
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by THEMEMPHISFORCE
A guy I work with blew his all stock GSR at 3000 miles, the clutch was destroyed so he abused it. My guess high rev before break in. The piston rod lengthened and pushed the valve thru the head, mitsu had to eat the replace cuz insurance wouldn't cover it, they said his clutch proved it was abuse. But he doesn't know that!!!! I found out from the evo tech at the dealer last week....Anyway mitsu gave him a new L4 block, flywheel, and clutch.......I couldn't believe it.
So, you think by revving it high before break in, it some how blew his engine ( you do realize you said it happened when he had 3000miles on the car which is a good amount beyond break-in for an engine)? You do know there are rev limits in place set by Mitsubishi to stop that. Either way, a stock car with 3000 miles on it had its engine blow, and you don't think that would fall under the warranty? Even with the clutch destroyed, how does that prove abuse? How could you differentiate between abuse and a someone who simply doesn't know how to drive the car (slipping the clutch too much)?

Quick Reply: Has anyone blown a motor