Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

FMIC or downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FMIC or downpipe?

I currently have buschur catback, ur testpipe and uicp, and ets intake. Due to some unforseen circumstances, the next mod i get will probably be the last one for a while. I'm trying to decided between a FMIC or a downpipe/02 housing. I've compared prices but need more info on the difficulty of installing the downpipe, and people's opinions on whether i should get the pipe or the fmic. I also plan on getting it tuned soon after i install whichever one i end up getting. Thanks in advance for the opinions.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

ease of install = FMIC
Power gains, probably go to the intercooler as well.

The o2 housing is a ***** to install and if you aren't comfortable with tools and your car its probably not the part you want to buy.

When i installed my FMIC i felt an immediate gain, most likely not due to cooling probably due to how well it flows. I got the AMS and i highly recommend it.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

id say fmic.

there seems to be more gain from the intercooler over the o2/dp
Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
last i remember, downpipe doesn't yield any hp...i think it was a test done by ams?...so i'd say fmic as well.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
last i remember, downpipe doesn't yield any hp...i think it was a test done by ams?...so i'd say fmic as well.
false. Buschur did a test and said it didn't yeild any results. ALL the other vendors are showing results from the o2 pipe.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

I'd say the FMIC from the point of view that even if it doesn't increase power very much, it will give more consistent power delivery since it will not heat soak like the stock unit.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by J5isalive2
false. Buschur did a test and said it didn't yeild any results. ALL the other vendors are showing results from the o2 pipe.
oh i see. my mistake.

but what would be an example of an o2 pipe that yields results? buschur is pretty reputable, so i don't see why their result is different from everyone else?

either way though, i'd still say fmic. it just yields more.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
oh i see. my mistake.

but what would be an example of an o2 pipe that yields results? buschur is pretty reputable, so i don't see why their result is different from everyone else?

either way though, i'd still say fmic. it just yields more.
Xtreme boost. AMS's test was done only on the downpipe portion, and didn't include testing on an o2 housing. Xtreme boost's downpipe/o2 w/ open dump combo yielded 30whp vs using the stock downpipe/o2 housing.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

How does a FMIC make more power?

Your next mod on the list should without a doubt be the downpipe. On a hot day you might see the benefit of an upgraded FMIC but there's simply no point at this level. Right now you're getting the most restriction from your stock downpipe.

An upgraded FMIC is almost last on the list before you upgrade your turbo. Many more mods make better sense long before the FMIC.

That's just my 2 cents...
Old Jan 31, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
Xtreme boost. AMS's test was done only on the downpipe portion, and didn't include testing on an o2 housing. Xtreme boost's downpipe/o2 w/ open dump combo yielded 30whp vs using the stock downpipe/o2 housing.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
You saw this where? not doubting you, just want to get all the info i can.

*edit nevermind, i found the thread from a while back.

so so far its 4 for the fmic and 2 for o2/dp

Last edited by dragon831; Jan 31, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

From what I have read, all test yielding no results were with just the dp. Test where the dp, and o2 combo were done yielded power, and according to Ultimate Racing it is not cost effective to just make an o2 housing, so they make they o2, and dp as one piece.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

ninja edit***

my mod choice i'd pick would be FMIC. Get a good Garret Core, like AMS/Buschur/ETS offer.

-Chris
Old Feb 1, 2009, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brodienuchies
How does a FMIC make more power?

Your next mod on the list should without a doubt be the downpipe. On a hot day you might see the benefit of an upgraded FMIC but there's simply no point at this level. Right now you're getting the most restriction from your stock downpipe.

An upgraded FMIC is almost last on the list before you upgrade your turbo. Many more mods make better sense long before the FMIC.

That's just my 2 cents...
You may be speaking from Evo 8 experience, but the Evo X factory downpipe has proven to be a very effective unit. AMS, etc all have noted this.

I would go with the FMIC as well. There are still 02/DP pieces in development and it would benefit to wait a bit to see what everyone has to offer. Right now, pretty much all companies have a FMIC out, so you get a broader selection.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

Go with the front mount. The factory downpipe is 2.75", mandrel bent, and flows very well. The factory intercooler DOES heat soak easily. An upgraded intercooler will beneficial at this time, allowing denser, cooler air to enter the intake manifold. More boost, more timing, more POWER!

P.S. You'd be surprised what a dremel and some time will do to your oem o2 housing

Quick Reply: FMIC or downpipe?