Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Test pipe or no test pipe?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
For a DD? High flow cat! I'd estimate about 50% of the power gain vs. a test pipe, but quieter and cleaner emissions.

Quieter to save your hearing, cleaner emissions to save your health. That nasty *** smell with the test pipe? CO (carbon monoxide), HCs(hydrocarbons), sulfur and NOx. You think breathing that **** in is good for you? The cat converts most of that in CO2 (carbon dioxide), H20(water), and N2 (nitrogen), stuff that won't kill you.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I ran a test pipe on my car for awhile and I was surprised how much it stunk. I didn't really mind, but my wife complained every time I came to a stop.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Run a test pipe.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Buschur Test Pipe here. It rocks =D
Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:49 AM

My opinion is..test pipe adds a little noise, some power gains, minimal smell, as far as emission testing goes, what state tailpipe tests these days? OBDII most 96^ cars check the computer, all you have to do is fool the computer.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:04 AM

idk what i want to do yet...i got a greddy downpipe but i want a test pipe...the ultimate racing test pipe is like $150...but the ones with a highflow cat are like $100 more....i dont want mine that loud though....but im also planning on getting a cat back this summer, dont know which one though either...seems like test pipe is my best bet, where i live i dont have to worry too much about my inspection sticker...
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Well what i am thinking is that when inspection rolls around you can always just swap back to the stock cat, get the inspection to pass and then put the test pipe back on and be off to the races. Emissions and pullution are a concern but a high flow cat really doesnt catch all that much anyway, hence why it still doesnt pass emissions. That is my true dilema.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:19 AM

I say pipe the sob lol
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

I'm no expert but I'm in the same boat. I think I'm going to get a test pipe and go with the buschur quiet muffler. I don't want my car super loud (as it would be with a test pipe and the bullet exhaust) but I want something with a decent strong growl. I'm hoping that if I get the quiet muffler the car won't be so loud at cruising speed. The CP-E exhaust is also a contender for me since it has a decent sound but still quiet during cruise - too bad it's out of stock.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by devinramen
I'm no expert but I'm in the same boat. I think I'm going to get a test pipe and go with the buschur quiet muffler. I don't want my car super loud (as it would be with a test pipe and the bullet exhaust) but I want something with a decent strong growl. I'm hoping that if I get the quiet muffler the car won't be so loud at cruising speed. The CP-E exhaust is also a contender for me since it has a decent sound but still quiet during cruise - too bad it's out of stock.
i LOVE the sound of mine...its phenomenal...loud when i get on it and quiet when cruising...best of both worlds IMO
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidiii
i LOVE the sound of mine...its phenomenal...loud when i get on it and quiet when cruising...best of both worlds IMO
What test pipe and down pipe did you go with and why? They're all the same to me.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Test pipe is bad for emissions, correct? So what about a mini-muffler? Less noise (maybe pollution), should be like a test pipe correct - performance wise?

Last edited by MAS2377TECH; Feb 19, 2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added words
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

I bought a UR TP but haven't installed it yet. You should be able to get 20 to 30 hp with a tune:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...st-system.html
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're in cali i'd say get a high flow cat, but you're in jersey. depending on emission regulations, do what's good for you in the long run.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MAS2377TECH
Test pipe is bad for emissions, correct? So what about a mini-muffler? Less noise (maybe pollution), should be like a test pipe correct - performance wise?
not the same. muffler only alters noise, while the test pipe is...well, a pipe. to truly alter emission levels, you need a cat converter.

Quick Reply: Test pipe or no test pipe?