Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Test pipe or no test pipe?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to go off topic too much but a test pipe is out of the question for me. I was considering the high flow cat. from Perrin but will it pass NYS inspection?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by qu evox
Well what i am thinking is that when inspection rolls around you can always just swap back to the stock cat, get the inspection to pass and then put the test pipe back on and be off to the races. Emissions and pullution are a concern but a high flow cat really doesnt catch all that much anyway, hence why it still doesnt pass emissions. That is my true dilema.
When that time comes this will be my game plan!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HudsonFalcon
Not to go off topic too much but a test pipe is out of the question for me. I was considering the high flow cat. from Perrin but will it pass NYS inspection?
It may not....it all depends. Some high flow cats flow too well, so they still throw a CEL.

I had a high flow cat on my VIII. It was a good one, and did not pass inspection. So I said f it, and just put on a test pipe. No reason to run a high flow cat if it's not going to pass anyway, right? Might as well just run a test pipe....

So really, you need to get a "bad" high flow cat to pass inspection. And at that point, why buy anything that doesn't flow well???
Old Feb 20, 2009, 08:35 AM

get the test pipe... it will make ur car sound better along with the great sound
Old Feb 20, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

I'm also thinking of the Greddy DP...

Have you dyno'd with it and been able to narrow down gains gotten from it?
Any recommendations on where to get it for cheap?
Thanks in advance,
Luc

Originally Posted by amrock88
idk what i want to do yet...i got a greddy downpipe but i want a test pipe...the ultimate racing test pipe is like $150...but the ones with a highflow cat are like $100 more....i dont want mine that loud though....but im also planning on getting a cat back this summer, dont know which one though either...seems like test pipe is my best bet, where i live i dont have to worry too much about my inspection sticker...
Old Feb 20, 2009, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steinvb12
It may not....it all depends. Some high flow cats flow too well, so they still throw a CEL.

I had a high flow cat on my VIII. It was a good one, and did not pass inspection. So I said f it, and just put on a test pipe. No reason to run a high flow cat if it's not going to pass anyway, right? Might as well just run a test pipe....

So really, you need to get a "bad" high flow cat to pass inspection. And at that point, why buy anything that doesn't flow well???

Thanks for the response Stein.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

I recommend the HKS metal catalyst. No CEL and great power.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

IMO, instead of worrying about emissions and passing smog checks, just get a regular test pipe. If you're concerned about sound, then get it resonated or w/a mini-muffler (Ultimate-Racing has those). Getting an HFC is a waste, it's not gonna pass smog, so might as well get something that allows u to go 100% of the way.

Just my personal opinion on things....
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

I have had my ams test pipe for three months now and still didn't put it on.I purchased it and right before I was going to put it on I started reading test pipes on the forums,found out about the flames issue and decided not to put it on.I think I'm gonna go wit a ur hfc.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:45 PM

bump.. anybody have data to show gains on just a testpipe alone? (tuned)
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by p'chan671
bump.. anybody have data to show gains on just a testpipe alone? (tuned)
Here is just bolting on a test pipe (no tuning for the test pipe yet) into a stock exhaust system (replacing stock cat) on a tuned Evo 10 (tuned for stock cat):

Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

im not a fan of getting flames out of my exhaust here in california haha, the laws here suck so bad. Even with a test pipe and silenced exhaust cops know if you are running a test pipe just from the smell. the gains arent that significant from what ive seen. hfc 7-9 hp, test pipe 10-15. so 5-6 more hp isnt worth getting a ticket over. my only exception of getting a testpipe is if im running over 375hp-400hp then the cat just gets way too restrictive. even though i have noticed better spool up time with a test pipe. If you dont have cop issues then i would go for a test pipe. just my opinion =]
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with the cat. Especially if your car is WW. Test pipe = black rear bumper.