Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Code P0234 after Jun wastegate actuator install

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code P0234 after Jun wastegate actuator install

Problem solved, thanks.

Last edited by LVSBB6; Mar 8, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You HAVE to get be custom tuned for the wastegate upgrade or you will overboost and have all kinds of issues. I'm assuming you have an OTS map from cobb (which is garbage BTW, get a custom tune asap) and that will not work with an uprated actuator. The reason for this is that your wastegate duty cycles in the ecu are tuned around the stock spring pressure, so the solenoids are letting out more pressure than they should be with your stiffer spring setup.

Fuel cut, limp mode, overboost codes, not to mention that it is potentially dangerous to put a mod like this on your car and not have a custom tune for it. Ever heard of detonation? Yeah, big boost + incorrect fueling and timing = bad things. Not trying to be a jerk, I'm really not, but I am just amazed that people do stuff like this and don't realize the potential harm. I would take that junk off the car until you can get a custom tune for it, and if you don't have anyone in your area to do the custom tune, then I would cut your losses and just not use it.

It's kind of a pointless mod anyway man, as the boost taper isn't THAT much better than stock, but even still it's at the expense of overspinning the little stock turbo and you are more likely to heat soak your IC from this, not to mention raise EGTs. I would recommend running the stock actuator with more reasonable boost, and then just run more timing. Temps will be lower and you'll make about the same power, and it'll be more consistent to boot. If you want big boost, buy a bigger turbo that can actually do it and not turn into a flamethrower.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Mar 8, 2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:16 AM
Evolving Member

I bet that you reset the ECU and it was solved
Old Mar 10, 2009, 06:59 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
You HAVE to get be custom tuned for the wastegate upgrade or you will overboost and have all kinds of issues. I'm assuming you have an OTS map from cobb (which is garbage BTW, get a custom tune asap) and that will not work with an uprated actuator. The reason for this is that your wastegate duty cycles in the ecu are tuned around the stock spring pressure, so the solenoids are letting out more pressure than they should be with your stiffer spring setup.

Fuel cut, limp mode, overboost codes, not to mention that it is potentially dangerous to put a mod like this on your car and not have a custom tune for it. Ever heard of detonation? Yeah, big boost + incorrect fueling and timing = bad things. Not trying to be a jerk, I'm really not, but I am just amazed that people do stuff like this and don't realize the potential harm. I would take that junk off the car until you can get a custom tune for it, and if you don't have anyone in your area to do the custom tune, then I would cut your losses and just not use it.

It's kind of a pointless mod anyway man, as the boost taper isn't THAT much better than stock, but even still it's at the expense of overspinning the little stock turbo and you are more likely to heat soak your IC from this, not to mention raise EGTs. I would recommend running the stock actuator with more reasonable boost, and then just run more timing. Temps will be lower and you'll make about the same power, and it'll be more consistent to boot. If you want big boost, buy a bigger turbo that can actually do it and not turn into a flamethrower.
Hmm, good info.