Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMSOIL changed recommended oil??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMSOIL changed recommended oil??

A few months ago, I changed out my transmission fluid and used AMSOIL MTF 75W80 which I got from their product lookup guide. At that time,the MTF was recommended by AMSOIL for both 2008 Evo models GSR(5 spd) and MR(6 spd). I went on AMSOIL's website and saw that now, the recommended oil for the transmission is AMSOIL MTG 75W90. WTF?? Why all of the sudden did AMSOIL change their minds about what type of their oil should be put in the GSR(5 spd)? Do I need to change it out and put in the MTG or can I leave the MTF in their until the 30K mile maintenance?
Old Mar 8, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mmm i got mine like 3 month ago and it was manual transmission gear lub, Sae 75w-90 Api GL4, i think it's always been this lube. i donno about the fluid that u have in there, i mean it don't hurt to change it if ur worried.

Last edited by Kdash106; Mar 8, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, I believe I can help with this. I have a friend that works for AMSOIL, and this is what he has told me: At first, the MTF was recommended because it fits in with the factory recommended weight of the oil. The issue is that what's in the car most likely isn't a 75w80 GL3; mitsu used that antiquated rating to make people think that the fluid in the X's tranny is special and thus would need to purchase their fluids at dealerships. This is a common marketing strategy by auto manufacturers. The truth of the matter is that GL4s, which replaced GL3s years ago, covers the specs of any GL3 fluid and outperforms it. In any case, what's really important isn't the weight of the oil, but the protection that it provides and what operating range of temperatures that protection is available.

The factory fluid is not a well chosen fluid and does not provide proper synchro operation, hence the crunchy shifting that the X is notorious for. AMSOIL looked at it and decided that most people who own evos will modify their cars and a fluid that offers better gear protection than a 75W80 (if that's even what's really in this car) is preferable, hence the switch to the heavier MTG. I have not personally run this fluid, but will be switching over to it shortly. From all that I can gather, it still provides better synchro operation that the factory stuff so that is just an added bonus in my book. In any case, I wouldn't worry about running the MTF in your car for now, but if you are modified or track the car, I would switch over to the MTG. I hope this was helpful.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Mar 8, 2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by simons
A few months ago, I changed out my transmission fluid and used AMSOIL MTF 75W80 which I got from their product lookup guide. At that time,the MTF was recommended by AMSOIL for both 2008 Evo models GSR(5 spd) and MR(6 spd). I went on AMSOIL's website and saw that now, the recommended oil for the transmission is AMSOIL MTG 75W90. WTF?? Why all of the sudden did AMSOIL change their minds about what type of their oil should be put in the GSR(5 spd)? Do I need to change it out and put in the MTG or can I leave the MTF in their until the 30K mile maintenance?
Any GSR, 03-09 wil use MTG GL4, i will find out from our tech guys about what was the deal there i havent seen the fact that we usto reccomend ATF for both GSR and MR

only the evoX MR will use the ATF.

any questions let us know.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by apagan01
Any GSR, 03-09 wil use MTG GL4, i will find out from our tech guys about what was the deal there i havent seen the fact that we usto reccomend ATF for both GSR and MR

only the evoX MR will use the ATF.

any questions let us know.
its always good to go thrue a AMSOIL dealer that is familiar and its involved in the evoo scene
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Apagan, read my post above. It explains the reasoning behind the switch.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:35 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Apagan, read my post above. It explains the reasoning behind the switch.
yes sir i did read, and it makes sence to me that AMSOIl would do that.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:37 PM
Account Disabled

here is the link for anyone needing product lookup for any vehicle and any products that we have

http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa...msoiloaf:index
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Glad this came up, it's good to know. I'll be stocking up on some AMSOIL products soon.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by macPSU
Glad this came up, it's good to know. I'll be stocking up on some AMSOIL products soon.
yes i was going to say,,,, very good thread i think it will help to clear up many other questions
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:59 PM

apagan01- AMSOIL used to recommend their MTF for both GSR and MR. Not ATF.

I originally put in the MTG and a dude at AMSOIL said to change it out and put the MTF in which was recommended at the time. That's what ticks me off.

Last edited by simons; Mar 8, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 03:06 PM
Account Disabled

apagan01- AMSOIL used to recommend their MTF for both GSR and MR. Not ATF.
yes that
Old Mar 8, 2009, 03:09 PM

Should I switch to MTG? Or will AMSOIL change their recommendation again later on?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:56 AM
Account Disabled

Should I switch to MTG? Or will AMSOIL change their recommendation again later on?
no sir AMSOIl should not have any reason to switch, unless mitsu discovers any wierd stuff that requires the oils to be changed to a different spec although i higly doubt it.

MTG is the oil need to be used on any GSR 5 speed, and also Evo 1-9 MR 6 speed.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:53 AM

I talked to a tech guy at AMSOIL and he said that Mitsu must've changed their recommendation to AMSOIL. He also said that AMSOIL goes by whatever the manufacturer tells them. I ordered the MTG today and I'll change it one day this week.

Quick Reply: AMSOIL changed recommended oil??