Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aftermarkit FMIC weights vs stock

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I might have to bite the bullet and save up for the ARC. I think i missed what you have for hard pipes, but will ARC accept aftermarket hard pipes such as Nesei? (UIP & LIP)
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

^Im running ARC pipings as well.

If the Nesei pipings are design to work with stock I/C, then they should work with the ARC I/C.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Cool
Old Mar 10, 2009, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

No cooling problems what so ever with my 4.5" thick Buschur FMIC. I don't know why that one person said ARC was arguably the best... look at the hp gains and drops in temp on the Buschur or AMS as well s the drop in psi across the FMIC and I think you'll find they beat the ARC in every way that matters other than bling factor
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

Thanx for the post Siver-one thing that does matter to me though is weight. Less weight up front would be nice. Now Ultimate Racing just came out with their version of FMIC, and the numbers look fantastic-and so does the price. I am also curious though on the weight of UR new baby.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 03:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
No cooling problems what so ever with my 4.5" thick Buschur FMIC. I don't know why that one person said ARC was arguably the best... look at the hp gains and drops in temp on the Buschur or AMS as well s the drop in psi across the FMIC and I think you'll find they beat the ARC in every way that matters other than bling factor
The Silver fox is right on this and the cost differential between the ARC and all the others is huge. Again, to me, the primary objective for replacing the OEM FMIC is to increase efficiency of heat loss. The gain in performance will MORE than outweigh the <0.1% gain in weight to the vehicle.

Later, Ken
Old Mar 11, 2009, 09:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoJoy II
Thanx for the post Siver-one thing that does matter to me though is weight. Less weight up front would be nice. Now Ultimate Racing just came out with their version of FMIC, and the numbers look fantastic-and so does the price. I am also curious though on the weight of UR new baby.
24 lbs

Darryl
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Darryl.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

And the fact a lot of aftermarket I/C have fitment issues that require you to modify your light bracket, front member....etc. To me thats just gay and tells me that product hasn`t been R&D thoroughly prior to releasing to the public. Making a huge intercooler isn`t rocket science. But making one that is efficient, with high quality and perfect fitment in mind is what worth going for in my books.

Originally Posted by NoJoy II
one thing that does matter to me though is weight.

Last edited by LVSBB6; Mar 11, 2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LVSBB6
And the fact a lot of aftermarket I/C have fitment issues that require you to modify your light bracket, front member....etc. To me thats just gay and tells me that product hasn`t been R&D thoroughly prior to releasing to the public. Making a huge intercooler isn`t rocket science. But making one that is efficient, with high quality and perfect fitment in mind is what worth going for in my books.
What are you talking about? You act like the ARC fmic is the holy grail of all intercoolers. If your comparing same size intercoolers as ARC, I don't know of many that requires hack job of the bumper for fitment. Please name the ones that need a modification. My 3.5 AGP fits perfect in between the crash beam w/ no modification whatsoever. Personally, the tiny intercooler that ARC makes is overpriced for what you get. It's not that much better than comparable fmic made here in the states. If paying 3 times more for an intercooler is your cup of tea, more power to ya.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:17 PM

Definitely check out the AGP FMIC I just got mine and it is top notch. I got a screaming price on it too. Ask Ben @ AGP for the EVOM discount, you wont be disappointed
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

My ETS 3.5" intercooler weighs in at 23.4 LBS

-Bink
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LVSBB6
^The ARC is a PERFECT fit, absolutely no modification needed and you re-use all the factory hangers at the same location. It is the ONLY FMIC available that would also aid cooling of the radiator due to its special fins design, its tested to drop 3 degrees in water temperature. It is the most efficient and arguebly the best design intercooler in the world.

Beware of other big tank intercooler out there, those may give you some good bolt-on power right off the bat, but they are too thick and blocks a huge amount of air going into the radiator which creates cooling problem. HKS recommends upgrade of radiator due to its 4" core design, while other manufacturers may have overlooked this issue and did not address.
Good advice
Old Mar 11, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Guru
Yeah I would not get a Perrin for that reason alone. I prefer sheet metal. Lighter and looks better with the same flow or better.
Lol, welded sheet metal looks better and flows better than cast endtanks? I think you might have that one backwards, buddy.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 02:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Lol, welded sheet metal looks better and flows better than cast endtanks? I think you might have that one backwards, buddy.
The thing you need to be careful with on cast end tanks is the casting thickness. We have tested a couple intercoolers and if you measure the inlet and outlet you will notice it's only 2.0" (or smaller) where a sheet metal or tube inlet/outlet is much larger and closer to 2.5". You can get a much higher flowing unit with tubes instead of casting when comparing like sizes.

Thanks!

Michael

Quick Reply: Aftermarkit FMIC weights vs stock