Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aftermarkit FMIC weights vs stock

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarkit FMIC weights vs stock

Does anyone have a list of aftermarket FMIC weights vs stock? Such as Perrin, Nisei, ARC, Agency Power, ect. What is the stock FMIC weight?
Thanks-
Old Mar 9, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't weigh my AGP fmic before the install, but i'll tell you that the stock fmic is a featherweight compared to some of these aftermarket fmics. The shipping papers showed 40 lbs...I'll guesstimate and say it probably weighs 30-35lbs. Stock fmic probably weighs half that.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks-that's good to know. I have a feeling that most FMICs are going to weigh alot more than stock. ARC might be the closest to stock weight, but it is the most $.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:06 PM

I think the stock 1 is 7 pounds. Buscher Race is 27 pounds and Nesei is 26 pounds. Don't know any others
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

I didn`t weigh the ARC, but it felt pretty much the same, if not even lighter, than the stock intercooler.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

I installed this last friday:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-install.html

Many thanks to turbo26tsi for the great core and the help installing! It weighed out at 24 lbs for the new one and 12 lbs for stock plus 4 lbs for the weighted heavy bracket at the bottom. So total weight gain was 8 lbs, however, I'm sure I last a few lbs with the IC piping and getting rid of the BOV hoses and what not so I doubt I gained much weight at all going to FMIC and piping. BIG Gains with the FP Red and the significantly more efficient core made me go up 2 PSI in boost readings initially. Keep in mind this is a pretty big 4 inch core! I couldn't be happier!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LVSBB6
I didn`t weigh the ARC, but it felt pretty much the same, if not even lighter, than the stock intercooler.
It is definitely smaller than OEM, so it must weigh less.

Later, Ken
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm. Good info guys! Anyone know how much the Perrin ways? I would really like to have ARC-if I could swing the $1600.00 though! My next choice is Perrin in Stealth.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
perrin one probably weighs a good bit since it has cast end tanks. they tend be be heavier than sheet metal tanks.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I would not get a Perrin for that reason alone. I prefer sheet metal. Lighter and looks better with the same flow or better.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. who out there makes a good FMIC that weighs simuliar to stock with a price tag of under 1000.00?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoJoy II
Ok. who out there makes a good FMIC that weighs simuliar to stock with a price tag of under 1000.00?
In terms of cost, all aftermarket FMIC cost less than ARC (and HKS) by hundreds of $$ (see https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rcooler-2.html). IMHO focus should be more on performance gains rather than weight with cost being a close second. Cast endtanks will be a better collector. Pressure drop and temperature differential are the two major parameters that define the efficiency of an intercooler.

Later, Ken
Old Mar 10, 2009, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

The size is pretty much identical, the fins extend wider than OEM, but same thickness if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by KPerez
It is definitely smaller than OEM, so it must weigh less.

Later, Ken
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Kperez for the link! I have more research to do. Overall performance is important for my next FMIC. My goal is up to 400whp. I won't be going over this. And of course weight is also a factor. At the end of the day I may just stick with the stock unit until I find what suits me.
LVSBB6 how is the ARC treating you? Was it a direct bolt on with all equipment or did you have to use some of your stock fittings? I am going with Nesei UICP and LICP with an ARC BOV return pipe. I want to make sure all of these pipes will fit my next FMIC.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

^The ARC is a PERFECT fit, absolutely no modification needed and you re-use all the factory hangers at the same location. It is the ONLY FMIC available that would also aid cooling of the radiator due to its special fins design, its tested to drop 3 degrees in water temperature. It is the most efficient and arguebly the best design intercooler in the world.

Beware of other big tank intercooler out there, those may give you some good bolt-on power right off the bat, but they are too thick and blocks a huge amount of air going into the radiator which creates cooling problem. HKS recommends upgrade of radiator due to its 4" core design, while other manufacturers may have overlooked this issue and did not address.

Quick Reply: Aftermarkit FMIC weights vs stock