Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X Backfire.. Help.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go ahead & get a tune. U still have some backfire but probably not as much with a tune.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's pretty common on turbocharged cars. Hell, my car is tuned and it backfires regularly between shifts.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

Another qucik question, since theres fair few people saying i should retune it.. Would it cause any damage if i was to delay a retune for a while? since theres only one place that i know off that do retune X's and they are asking arm and leg for it. Im in process of saving up for it now.

Ive been looking into AP and they dont support Aussie X's. My only other cheap option is Zchip?

PS damn i love the sound of pop pop pop, specialy when it does it 3-4 times in row. hahah.

Last edited by Deannn; Mar 19, 2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by macPSU
I'm right there with you. I draw wood when my car backfires.
I started busting up laughing when I read that. That is going to be in my sig now. Thanks

It is normal for it to afterfire with an aftermarket free flowing exhaust. Mine does it to. It won't hurt a thing and you can WAIT on the tune, won't hurt anything.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

If you have a exhaust only don't worry about a tune,a tune will not cure that popping sound.Your exhaust will not hurt anything in your car.The popping sound is something you have to get used too,it comes with the territory.My car pops whenever I floor it and let go of the gas.Nothing to worry about. I got a tune and it still does that.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 01:37 AM
Evolved Member

Sometimes a small pop...sometimes a shotgun blast behind the car, mine backfires quite a bit with a test pipe and buschur catback but I like it. It's especially fun when you pass someone and it backfires right as your coming by their window The 9.6-9.8 AFR after you shift gears is causing it as well as the flames.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by THEMEMPHISFORCE
I started busting up laughing when I read that. That is going to be in my sig now. Thanks
Hahaha, glad I could be of assistance.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 06:07 PM

The 9.6-9.8 AFR after you shift gears is causing it as well as the flames.
Looks like it's the rich mixture on the overrun that is causing the popping.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by arbo651
Tune isnt going to fix it. It is just what these cars do with exhausts.. with a test pipe its even worse. You should hear my car... it pops all over the place.
Your car sounds amazing like that!!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:47 PM

Love this thread. now for my story. I have a new EVO X, less than a year old. I put an ETS 'quiet' catback on the Evo.

So a couple weeks go by and I was driving down a side street in town. Old guy out walking his poodle on the right with his back to me. So I'm getting closer to him, maybe 30 feet away and..... ~KABAAAAAAMMMMMM~ huge backfire (first time for me). Old guy spins around so quick he yanks the poor poodle around in a circle. He still wasn't sure where that shotgun sound came from... very funny, you had to be there. That was my intro to EVO backfire.

I too was wondering if the backfire was a problem, but I suspect a tune is not the answer. My car's engine is not out of tune, but it backfires occasionally.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

This made me wonder a little bit, I have a full tbe, no cat, or resonator but has mufflers. My car very rarely backfires, does that mean I could be running a little lean? It's a full CPE exhaust btw.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 08GsrX
This made me wonder a little bit, I have a full tbe, no cat, or resonator but has mufflers. My car very rarely backfires, does that mean I could be running a little lean? It's a full CPE exhaust btw.
Are you still on the stock tune? If so probably more in-line with where it should be. Do you have a wideband?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:08 PM

i got your same problem jejeje
Attached Thumbnails Evo X Backfire..  Help.-evo-4.jpg  
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
Are you still on the stock tune? If so probably more in-line with where it should be. Do you have a wideband?
I'm tuned by Jestr. I'm currently deployed, shopping around for an innovate lc1 so I can log, (don't want gauges)
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:24 AM

have the popping sound on my X too, so it means i'm popping flames everytime it happens? I'm on stock cat and CP-E catback exhaust with tune.

Quick Reply: Evo X Backfire.. Help.