Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Motor blew up :(

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about you motor man, sucks!

Like you said... Built block.. by either Turbo Trix, or AMS Sleeved built block FTMFW!

Good look over seas, make it back safe!

-Chris
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
sorry for your car good luck on the rebuild
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:28 PM

Wow, so this happen while you just driving and not racing. This is first I've heard on a EVO X.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, just wow. To take a stab in the dark, my suspicion is that all these mods, imparticular the MBC, + no tune caused the failure. I am leaning towards the MBC, because they tend to cause overboost issues at partial throttle in load cells that are running lots of timing and lean AFRs, but again, these are all just guesses. Were any of your pistons cracked? How about your valves? Were they bent? Any more insight you can offer so we can figure out what the hell happened here?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

That sucks ((( What's up with this week - trannies and engines are blowing like never before.
I guess if you have an intake with wider MAF housing combined with high boost without tune - that may have been the reason. But who knows...
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by combatp21
Wow, so this happen while you just driving and not racing. This is first I've heard on a EVO X.
MBC+no tune = boom on lots of motors
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
These cars run 24 psi stock at low RPM's, hard to say what killed the car on the highway at those speeds as 70-75 mph should be almost no stress.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiboost
These cars run 24 psi stock at low RPM's, hard to say what killed the car on the highway at those speeds as 70-75 mph should be almost no stress.
with a mbc the ecu hits higher load cells and the car sustains higher boost and maybe the damage was before the highway driving?
more pics would help us here and more info to see what happened with this engine.
its the first evo x i see that fails
Old Mar 18, 2009, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
looks like runned lean a longer period of time . Maybe that rpm between 70-75mph was the critical , most lean condition your engine had without the tune and those goodies.
I think everyone who have your mods :
an intake, upic, lic, fmic, mbc. tbe. Can cause a dangerously lean condition for sure. AT that level i think the tune is very important.
I might be wrong , but this is my opinion.

Good luck with the rebuild, and make it sronger .
Old Mar 18, 2009, 03:03 PM

You have a great attitude; it could always be worse. Good luck being deployed; stay safe and Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Wow, just wow. To take a stab in the dark, my suspicion is that all these mods, imparticular the MBC, + no tune caused the failure. I am leaning towards the MBC, because they tend to cause overboost issues at partial throttle in load cells that are running lots of timing and lean AFRs, but again, these are all just guesses. Were any of your pistons cracked? How about your valves? Were they bent? Any more insight you can offer so we can figure out what the hell happened here?

That could of been the problem. Another thing to is I guess in texas they run 90octane? atleast along route66. I was acutally pissed when I went to 3 gas stations and saw 90 was the highest they had. I've come to a stopping point in taking the motor apart, right now my time is dedicated to my family and not the car. If I find more time I will take the head off to see if i ate some valves. From what I can see the piston looks cracked looking up at it.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 03:20 PM

So I was just messing with my oil pump and the gear is seized. I wonder if it locked up just driving. I checked the oil about 20miles before it happened and I still had plenty of oil in the pan when i drained it out.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

There's your problem - 90 octane.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

You might have overboosted with the MBC a while ago and did some initial damage, along with 90 octane it just accelerates the deterioration. i suspect it was a gradual process to come down to this. Good luck with your built and hope everything works out for you!

Last edited by LVSBB6; Mar 18, 2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 03:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by olmoscd
Dude I'd just put it back to stock, which wouldn't take long based on what you've got, and take it to the dealership. After they make the repairs, send the new motor to AMS!

what he said

Ive done that to my sti plenty of times when i had it

Quick Reply: Motor blew up :(