Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Motor blew up :(

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor blew up :(

I'm fairly new to the EVO world. So I don't like to post alot. I've owned DSMs for the last 10 years. This year I decided to try my luck with the EVO X. I bought my car in May of 2008, I have 14.5k miles on my motor with an intake, upic, lic, fmic, mbc. tbe. I haven't gotten it tuned yet because I'm deploying in a few weeks, figured it would be a waste since I was going to do a turbo upgrade on meth when I return. (My car has only seen the track 3 times, other wise I baby my car because its my DD. Oil changes every 2500 miles)

So anyways I was driving my car Cali -> Wisconsin, doing about 70-75mph with CC set. When I got to Texas I heard a loud bang and the sound of metal getting shattering and bouncing around in my engine. I lost all oil pressure and smoke everywhere. Instantly I shut my car off. Called a tow truck, took my car to a Uhal center, threw my car on a truck/trailer and started driving agian. When I got home I decided to take a look to see what damage was done. So as I took the oil pan off this is what I found. I'll post more pictures when I break the engine down further.
Attached Thumbnails Motor blew up :(-img_0987.jpg   Motor blew up :(-img_0990.jpg   Motor blew up :(-img_0989.jpg   Motor blew up :(-img_0988.jpg  
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:48 PM
Account Disabled

wow man good luck with everything this is the 1st evo x motor i seen blow up whats crazy to me is your mods are every mild good luck
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Dude that totally sucks, but isn't the car still under warranty. If so it was a bad move to take off the pan. Let us know how it goes. Look at the bright side. Now you can have a fully built motor when you get back from deployment. Take care of yourself Bro
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Jesus, that sucks big time dude. I was pissed that my trans messed up and that is'nt near the cost off a engine. I hope you are putting everything back stock so you can take it back to mits.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:54 PM

I guess its not going to be warrantied since you publicly announced you've modded the car.

What were you boosting at?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

looks like bearing failure which lead to rod failure which lead to KaBOOM!!!should of taken it directly to stealership for warranty & evalulation.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Publicly announcing you've modded the car does not affect your warranty. Come on.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by kimletrim
I guess its not going to be warrantied since you publicly announced you've modded the car.

What were you boosting at?

I was at 21psi.. The car broke sitting around -10vac.... I'm not worried about the dealer replacing my motor. My plan was to get the motor sleeved and run a stroker kit anyways. Just wasn't planning on doing that so soon lol.. Guess I will start my build early. The only thing I am really mad about is I can't turn my block in as a core, since the lower half of the block is messed up, and I have a rod size hole threw the sleeve and block itself. On the bright side I didn't crash and die on the way home . Gotta look at the positives
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Dude I'd just put it back to stock, which wouldn't take long based on what you've got, and take it to the dealership. After they make the repairs, send the new motor to AMS!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andy5notarobot
I was at 21psi.. The car broke sitting around -10vac.... I'm not worried about the dealer replacing my motor. My plan was to get the motor sleeved and run a stroker kit anyways. Just wasn't planning on doing that so soon lol.. Guess I will start my build early. The only thing I am really mad about is I can't turn my block in as a core, since the lower half of the block is messed up, and I have a rod size hole threw the sleeve and block itself. On the bright side I didn't crash and die on the way home . Gotta look at the positives
Haha I like your Outlook!!!!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by sovain
looks like bearing failure which lead to rod failure which lead to KaBOOM!!!should of taken it directly to stealership for warranty & evalulation.
The lower half of the rod still spins freely like on rollers. No grooves on the crank for that Cylinder. I couldn't take it straight to the dealer considering i was 1100miles from home and I deploy for a year in less than 10 days. Atleast I know where Uncle Sams money is going to go haha (btw i sold my stock parts) and I have no desire to track some down in the 6days I have left in WI. So that rules out turning it back to stock
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
whats the max boost the car has seen before??
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
whats the max boost the car has seen before??
The most the motor has seen was 25psi.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:16 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by 4myX
I hope you are putting everything back stock so you can take it back to mits.

Yeah, the 4b11 grenade remnants won't tip them off.

Just read the OP's replies. Thank goodness he has a much better perspective on it. :up:
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by andy5notarobot
The most the motor has seen was 25psi.
maybe this is what caused the engine damage cause 25psi without a tune and all your mods could have hurt it.
remeber when using a mbc you hold more boost also

Quick Reply: Motor blew up :(