Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

how much hp from o2 housing for evo x?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much hp from o2 housing for evo x?

anyone out there have or know about how much power you get from an o2 housing on an evo x?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you mean a downpipe with an O2 housing replacement versus one without?

I'm not aware of any separate O2 housing for the Evo X that is available yet.

When researching Ultimate Racing's offerings, I saw on their site that they only show a 2 WHP difference between their O2 housing downpipe and the regular downpipe. So I suppose the best answer I can give you is a coupe of HP, maybe.

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...Downpipe.shtml
http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...ousingDP.shtml

I did have a conversation the other day concerning the development of various Evo X parts and I believe that a certain tuning firm found that there wasn't enough benefit in a redesigned O2 housing to mass-produce a replacement. Maybe I can find something to back that up, but it's just what I heard. Seems reasonable that the stock unit flows well enough.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:42 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
Do you mean a downpipe with an O2 housing replacement versus one without?

I'm not aware of any separate O2 housing for the Evo X that is available yet.

When researching Ultimate Racing's offerings, I saw on their site that they only show a 2 WHP difference between their O2 housing downpipe and the regular downpipe. So I suppose the best answer I can give you is a coupe of HP, maybe.

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...Downpipe.shtml
http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...ousingDP.shtml

I did have a conversation the other day concerning the development of various Evo X parts and I believe that a certain tuning firm found that there wasn't enough benefit in a redesigned O2 housing to mass-produce a replacement. Maybe I can find something to back that up, but it's just what I heard. Seems reasonable that the stock unit flows well enough.
Since when do you have a EVO X... copy cat from C3G....
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out the o2 / DP's from ETS and AMS.

They are proven to make power. In fact the o2 is VERY restrictive. I highly recommend one!
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is there any science between one that has a collective opening vs a separate tube for each portion of the o2
Old Apr 15, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by antics22
is there any science between one that has a collective opening vs a separate tube for each portion of the o2
I am sure there is, but I am in no position to provide actual statistics to support which one is better.

I can, however, give you my theory and you can decide if it makes sense or not. I am sure the vendors who make each type will support their type 100% and could argue all day over which is really better. So until someone swaps them on a dyno back to back, we won't really know for sure. And it's not very likely someone will do that since the removal of the o2 is a pain to begin with.

Anyway, here are my thoughts. An o2 with an open dump tends to make power since it vents directly to the atmosphere and does not have to travel through any pipes. The serperate o2 / downpipe simulates an open dump, but recirculates back into the exhaust at some point, to reduce the noise. So in theory the separate o2 / DP is more similar to an open dump, and should make more power.

But I really don't have any evidence to say a combined will make less. All we do know is the stock o2 is restrictive, so certainly both aftermarket designed o2's should help, but which one will produce better results, I don't know for sure.

I bought the ETS for the reasons noted above. I definitly feel it was worth it.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On Cobb's website is a technical white paper discussing down pipe design. In a nutshell, it's a compromise between packaging, performance, longevity and price. A divorced waste gate / main pipe is better for performance but could be bulky and close to the steering rack etc and there is a lot of heat in the DP. The cast pieces are thought to better manage the heat and hold up better over time, but it's too intricate to cast it as a divorced design. They also cost more.

Lots of info to digest... if you can't decide, maybe the reputation of the vendor should decide it for you
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:09 AM

a while speed clinic did a dyno test with an Xtremeboost O/2 dump dp, and they gained i think some where around 30 whp. apparently someone deleted the thread....

but here they confirm it

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...meboost&page=2
Old Apr 20, 2009, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-downpipe.html