Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Battery Dies overnight, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
isn't the dome light always receiving power? If so???
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papi4baby
isn't the dome light always receiving power? If so???
I checked everything in the dome light circuit, the amount of amperage being pulled from the battery does not change when it is disconnected.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
One other thing I found out recently.

Before you disconnect the battery terminal put the ammeter probes on the cable end and battery terminal and hold them on there as you disconnect the cable end from the battery.

this way the system is never disconnected so whatever has to initialize has already done so.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:14 PM

your still gonna have a draw

look car now a day have a lot of electronic component which draw amp
by doing parasitic draw test you should have a spec of how much is allowable draw you can have,give example 09 maxima has 1.10 amp draw which is normal
some car may take .40-.90 it all depends,i actually test my battery and it come out bad gud luck
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:28 PM

I had this exact same problem. It would take almost exactly 24 hrs for the battery to die completely. It turned out to be my radar detector that was hard wired into the dome light. If I didn't manually turn off the power to the detector, when I parked the car, and the dome light wiring would loose power, it would sense a low battery condition, and start flashing "low batt". Being that I was no longer around the vehicle, it would flash until it drained the battery. I don't know why it can still draw power after the dome lights go off, but it would. It took a long time to find the problem. Not to mention a few trips to the dealer.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gear Grinder
I had this exact same problem. It would take almost exactly 24 hrs for the battery to die completely. It turned out to be my radar detector that was hard wired into the dome light. If I didn't manually turn off the power to the detector, when I parked the car, and the dome light wiring would loose power, it would sense a low battery condition, and start flashing "low batt". Being that I was no longer around the vehicle, it would flash until it drained the battery. I don't know why it can still draw power after the dome lights go off, but it would. It took a long time to find the problem. Not to mention a few trips to the dealer.

Definitely move to an ignition controlled circuit, if you are not manually switching off your radar detector
Old Apr 28, 2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Grip Master
The systems that fuse #8 controls are:
(This is from All Data btw)
A/c System
Brake warning light, Fuel warning light, and oil pressure warning light
Central door locking system
DRL's
Dome light, luggage compartment light, and ignition key hole warning light
fog light
headlight
ignition key reminder tone alarm
<Vehicles with KOS (Keyless operating system)>
immobilizer system
Keyless operating system (KOS)
Meter and gauge
Power windows
Seatbelt warning tone alarm
Taillight position light, license plate light, and lighting monitor tone alarm
Theft alarm system
Tire Pressure monitoring system (TPMS)
trunk lid opener
Turn signal light and hazard warning light
Windshield wiper and washer

(Big list, eh?)
i don't know if this will help or not. But on civic's or crv if there's a big draw it's most likely from the a/c relay. you can try unpluging the relay see if the a/c clutch moves or your draw is less. A lot of time the relay is melted inside. The best thing to do is check the data list of the body unit and see what's on if there doesn't seem to be anything wrong, just start pulling relays and stuff until the draw is less/
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

For the past week or so, when i go out to my car in the morning, the battery is either discharged to the point where the starter will crank slowly, or where the battery barely has enough juice to engage the solenoid. I did a load test on the battery, and it seemed a tiny bit low, but not to the point where it should be a problem, i then thought it might be a parasitic draw, so i left the neg. cable unconnected overnight, and the battery was fine the next morning (12.48v at night, 12.38v in the morning) So i did a parasitic drain test and the car draws about .8 amps with the car off, and locked. i then started pulling fuses to see what was staying on, i found it to be fuse #8 under the dash, which controls a whole mess of things. after i found this out, i figured that the dealer may know something that i don't, so i brought it to them, told them that i was an automotive student, and that it had a parasitic draw. They didnt' listen, charged the battery and told me to try that. I'm down in Bumble **** carbondale IL for 2 more weeks, until i can take it to a dealer that actually know's what they're doing. But has anyone had a similar problem? I searched, but didn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated

Zack

This is a known problem with the batteries. I was at the mitsu dealer buying my EVO X they had a new GSR in the shop because the battery kept dying. They said they had to order a new battery and that some of the EVO X batteries are defective, and because of that they were on back order.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

I would remove the radar detector first off, and you said you wait 15 min, and the draw is still at .8, and then you disconnect the #8 fuse, and the draw drops to .4. Try letting the car sit for a full 30 to 45 min, and then see where the draw is. Try doing this with the radar detector manually turned off as opposed to removing the entire unit. When I worked for BMW we would let the 7 series sit for 30 minutes sometimes before it would drop down to spec. I know the 7 is a lot more sophisticated than an EVO, but you never know. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WolvieDC
This is a known problem with the batteries. They said they had to order a new battery and that some of the EVO X batteries are defective,
They aren't defective, they are just getting lot rot from sitting so long, (remember the X is an '08) then they are not re-charged properly and it ruins them.

It's a Optima style dry cell with a vent because it's inside the pass compartment. It has to be trickle charged under 5 amps, more than 5 amps it goes bad.

You can replace with a Optima of the right model, don't have to wait for the original battery.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:40 PM

I know this an old post, but i would like to know if you have this battery drain problem fixed. I just started to have this problem on my car.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by DaFastOne
I know this an old post, but i would like to know if you have this battery drain problem fixed. I just started to have this problem on my car.
My brother has the same issue with his car
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

I found the problem with my car was how I had my radar detector hardwired in. I had it wired into the dome light (had it wiredthe same way on my previous car) but for some reason the X does not like the detector being there... It would constantly give the detector adaptor (goes from standard wires to a phone wore) power, which would drain the battery over night. I did a simple fix by putting a switch online with the ground wire, so when I turn the radar off now I just hit that switch, radar turns off and the battery doesn't get drained.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:45 PM

I found the problem with my car was how I had my radar detector hardwired in. I had it wired into the dome light (had it wiredthe same way on my previous car) but for some reason the X does not like the detector being there... It would constantly give the detector adaptor (goes from standard wires to a phone wore) power, which would drain the battery over night. I did a simple fix by putting a switch online with the ground wire, so when I turn the radar off now I just hit that switch, radar turns off and the battery doesn't get drained.
I too have my radar detector hard wired to the dome light. so i plan to change that. But why no hard wire it to the cig plug instead so that you dont have to switch it on and off. But thanks for the update.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaFastOne
I too have my radar detector hard wired to the dome light. so i plan to change that. But why no hard wire it to the cig plug instead so that you dont have to switch it on and off. But thanks for the update.
I don't want to have to run wires down the A pillar to the cig. lighter. i'm going to see if i can modify the switch that controls if the dome light comes on when the door is open, and make it the switch that powers the radar detector.

Quick Reply: Battery Dies overnight, HELP!