Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

27 PSI okay? With No tune

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
27 PSI okay? With No tune

I am just wondering if it is okay to be running this high of a boost with no tune no reflash. I am currently on the original stock flash and with the mods listed in my sig, is this amount of boost okay for a DD. I use my car to go back and forth to work and I haven't thrown any codes, I also haven't heard of many running this high of boost on the stock turbo. What is going on, is mine one of the strong evo's? I took a local shop tuner for a ride and he said all was normal and he couldn't explain the high boost. TIA

Last edited by THEMEMPHISFORCE; Apr 24, 2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:11 PM
Account Disabled

Yeah, it's OK if you want to blow your motor after while.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

So all the ppl who are running high boost are going to blow their motor after awhile? I also thought the ECU is controlling the boost so why would it let it go that high?

Last edited by THEMEMPHISFORCE; Apr 24, 2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:17 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by THEMEMPHISFORCE
So all the ppl who are running high boost are going to blow their motor after awhile?
I don't really know. You should always get a tune just to be on the safe side.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

My plan is to get a tune, just trying to see if anyone can explain what is going on and if this is okay. Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

So it seems like you have 27psi without a boost controller or any other mods than the ones listed? It sounds like something is definitely wrong.

Things that come to mind are that your boost gauge is reading way too high (possibly tapped in the wrong location?) or something is going on with your WG actuator. Just guesses...but I wouldn't drive the car like this. Most of the "safe" tunes are seeing 24-25psi with the stock turbo. Mine is currently set at 24.5, with a well defined tune.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:35 PM

I agree, I ran 24psi safely as DD, would check out the guage first, make sure its connected properly, actuators do act up sometimes but, try not to boost to much till this problem gets resolved. If you have a guage laying around or someone you know has one go that route first if possible. if not then maybe be better to get the actuator, better then having to replace something major.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:40 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Does it tap 27 and fall immediately quite a bit down? If not, your gauge is wrong. The stock turbo will not sustain 27psi long.

Also, if you were set to hit it and hold it as long as possible with no tune, YES, it would cause damage. 27psi is too high for pump gas.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Did the OP turn his wastegate or something? thats really high. Lets hope it is a faulty gauge.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Well I don't think it is a faulty gauge, It reads "DEAD" on 0 psi with just the ignition on, I tapped into the same place everyone else is for reading boost, I am running 93 octane to btw. But here is what happens when I push the gas to the floor in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, it will hit 27 psi and then I will shift, so I am not sure if it is falling quickly after it hits the 27 psi or not. It also behaves like this when on the interstate.......------->>> If I am running 65 in 5th and not shift down, just push the throttle to the floor, it will jump to 21 psi and climb to 25-26 psi and hold all the way until I let out of the throttle and I have seen this up to 110 mph, so not sure if it is tapering down at any point. Plus I have not touched the WGA in any way what so ever.

Main question is the car okay to drive as long as I don't let it boost that high. Also no boost controller at all on the car except for what is stock, the ECU.

That is where I taped for boost. ^^^^^^

Last edited by THEMEMPHISFORCE; Apr 25, 2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:23 AM
Evolving Member

check your vac lines... i had a vacuum line pop off my intake pipe and i was running similar boost levels without a boost controller or tune.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:29 AM
BMS
Account Disabled

I would not recommend boosting the car until you get a fuel pump, boost controller, and maybe a better gauge just to be safe.

With a fuel pump, you can raise the boost from factory 19-20psi to 21psi no problems.

Once you get a tune, you should be able to be running 23-24psi.

Goodluck!

*** Note *** Not sure about the Evo X factory boost settings, just noticed it wasn't a 8 or 9.

Last edited by BMS; Apr 25, 2009 at 05:31 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

All my vac lines are connected on the intake and all of the factory boost controller lines are connected as well.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Are you reading knock? You should be fine in moderation (as you said, don't let it boost that high) but if you aren't letting it boost that high then why keep the setting that high?

Get a tune!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^^I wouldn't like to keep it that high if it was unsafe for the car, the car is deciding to let it do this. I don't know if I am reading knock, I have no scan gauge. I also am wondering will an off the shelf cobb ap and map help this/ take care of the high boost. So far the only explanation as to why it is boosting this high is because I am on the original stock map, and not the reflash. My car was built is Feb 08, so I have the first map with all the issues but mine never had any of the issues after I started to mod it, i. e. after the CAI install. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: 27 PSI okay? With No tune