Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

What is the limit of the stock block?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2009, 06:42 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
^ To me, piston damage is definitely a symptom of some limitation on the stock components. I've heard of several other cars with piston damage as well, some at what I would consider to be fairly mild power levels.
Old May 3, 2009, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont kow where my dad got the info from.... but some tuner brought an evoX to willowsprings and TRIED to blow the motor... it was tuned at 35psi on Q16 and after 4 days they failed at blowing it.... they tore the motor apart afterwards and said the internals were AMAZING.... if some one knows what im talking about, can u post a link to this test?
Old May 3, 2009, 09:55 PM
Account Disabled

Once again these are just MY view on the 4B11 based on the things we've done and what the out come has been . The 4B11 does have some issue , some of which I'm looking into right now - but overall I like the motor a LOT more then I ever would had imagined.

Last edited by Noize; May 6, 2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

the post was about the stock sleeves limits not some one messing up valves and piston cause someone made a mistake everyone is human just want to not have to sleeve a block if you dont have to
Old May 4, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Back OT,

The more that I think about what some of the tuners are putting the 4B through, I find it to be very reassuring that the motor is taking the abuse so well. When I read about Ryan Gates pounding on his car for hundreds of laps and there being no issues with the longblock...it makes me more confident about tracking my car.

I think like everyone who chimed in about the aluminum block, I had my doubts...but it seems like the engineers put together a nice piece of metal.

Last edited by Noize; May 6, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old May 4, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Horsepower is not the killer of engines, torque is.

That being said 4b11 i dunno, "They" say that 400wtq is about the limit of the 4g63. I was running 410wtq (mustang dyno) on mine and it went in 3 months. I believe "Them" now on the 4g63.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
what was the failure that caused your blown motor?? are you thinking of the tranny limits cause thats nothing the 4g63 cant handle!

sounds like a bad tune

Rod failure is all we can tell so far as there is a hole in my block Motor's not torn down yet so specifics are unknown.

Things to keep in mind are that I was 442whp/410wtq at 32psi on a low reading Mustang dyno which is roughly about 492whp/460wtq on a Dynojet.

Last edited by evodood; May 5, 2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We don't believe the block needs to be sleeved under 600-700whp.

The stock cylinders have adequate thickness to them to support moderate power levels.

Running over 30psi boost on the stock bottom end for an extended or repeated time period will break the ring lands, shear off piston tops and break the top ring on the piston.

The thread title is "What is the limit of the 4b11 block"? So in an effort to summarize, the block is fairly strong and in our opinion able to support 600-700whp, however the stock bottom end of the engine is not set up to support boost levels in excess of 30psi as evidenced throughout case studies throughout the USA and in our own analysis of the engine we have disassembled and carefully measured.

Last edited by Noize; May 5, 2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old May 5, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering

At what torque level?

There is a significant difference in 600whp with say 550wtq and 600whp with say 450wtq. Would you not agree?

As I said before it's torque that kills motors. Torque is the actual force that your motor is providing. which is what strains the components, not not the measure of said force over time, which is what your measuring with Horsepower.

Last edited by evodood; May 5, 2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old May 5, 2009, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
This thread is a circus... Its truly laughable. 45psi and holding 32psi on a stock turbo smaller than a 16g? Uh-huh.

The Evored would be hard pressed to achieve these levels with the wastegate welded shut, let alone a stock turbo smaller than the stock Evo 8-9 turbo.

The stock cylinders have adequate thickness to them to support moderate power levels.

Running over 30psi boost on the stock bottom end for an extended or repeated time period will break the ring lands, shear off piston tops and break the top ring on the piston.

Its interesting how some brag about ridiculous boost levels within this thread are the same ones that have suffered the same aforementioned fate of broken pistons.

The thread title is "What is the limit of the 4b11 block"? So in an effort to summarize, the block is fairly strong and in our opinion able to support 600-700whp, however the stock bottom end of the engine is not set up to support boost levels in excess of 30psi as evidenced throughout case studies throughout the USA and in our own analysis of the engine we have disassembled and carefully measured.
i guess the question would be...how much power (and torque?) can a tuned 4b11 engine internals (pistons,rods,etc stock of course ) can hold? i myself is curious...tia

Last edited by tonyboy; May 5, 2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old May 5, 2009, 05:04 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by tonyboy
i guess the question would be...how much power (and torque?) can a tuned 4b11 engine internals (pistons,rods,etc stock of course ) can hold? i myself is curious...tia
Our best advice on the 4b11 is that larger, slower spooling turbos will be easier on the block. It was mentioned that torque is a large part of the equation and this is true. Therefore with a larger turbo, torque comes on less sudden and violently than the stocker allowing the motor to ease into the torque.

Being that the bottom end is not spec'd out for high boost from the factory, running a higher flowing turbo will also allow one not to exceed a predetermined boost level while providing much more cfm's at lower boost levels. This will allow one to make much more power at the same boost levels as the larger turbo flows more air.

The stock turbo is fun and all, but when the factory hands us something smaller than previous generation Evo's there really isn't too much to get excited about.
Old May 5, 2009, 05:10 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
i see you guys work on both engines which do you believe is a stronger, 4b11t-4g63??

The 4g63 we have seen take one hell of a beating. In the last week or so we have had a 510whp, 550whp, 563whp, and 602whp set of 4g63's built and tuned by us. 3 out of 4 of them were on stock engines with cams!

We have seen as high as 43.6psi on a stock motor EvoRed and we willfully stopped at 602whp on the 35R HTA 4g63. When he is ready to built it, we might just see how much the stock motor will put out. Personally I think we could pull out 660whp-700whp from the stock motor.

The 4b11 is newer, however we have disassembled and analyzed a few. The block is durable to an extent, however the way the pistons are set up from the factory will not allow reliable power to be extracted from it before the piston tops break off.

The 4b11 pistons are set up for low emissions, not high boost performance. It is very tight.
Old May 5, 2009, 05:35 PM
EvoM Administrator

Closed for cleaning.
Vendor muckraking is getting removed.
42psi on stock turbo stuff is getting removed.
Continue at your own risk.

Lets stick with the topic at hand, please.
Old May 5, 2009, 05:39 PM
EvoM Administrator

4G63 vs 4B11 is irrelevant for the scope of this thread, which discusses limits of the 4B11.
Iron is stronger than aluminum. If you want to debate it, use the Evo X vs Evo VIII and IX thread.
Old May 6, 2009, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

i apologize to the thread maker for getting off track of the original post.

i am also very curious of the 4b11t's capability, i was very close to buying a X but i decided that i am going to build my car instead.

but i have to say i am very impressed with the 4b11t so far!

Quick Reply: What is the limit of the stock block?