Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

FMIC AMS v. ETS v. Perrin (Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2009, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
AGP inlet and outlet are 3 inches in diameter.
I have never seen an AGP intercooler, so i'm not sure about the inlet/outlet size. The comment was a general comment and not directed towards AGP, AMS or Perrin.

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
We we asked not to come in here but just to clear the air our cast end tanks are VERY light. The cast version compared to the sheet metal is withing a pound of each other on a fully assembled FMIC. Weight is a non issue. Also there is no replacement for how smooth you can get a cast piece for airflow compared to a sheet metal version. There is a big reason we went to cast on the end tanks from our previous sheet metal version. Stronger and better design to optimize airflow. Its not going to translate into some massive difference in HP but every little bit helps.

Again sorry, I just wanted to make sure no misinformation was spread.

Eric
Eric,

Sounds good! This comment was not directed towards your company, just what we have seen in the industry.

Thanks,

Michael

If needed, I can post up examples of cast inlet/outlets vs tube inlet/outlets for size reference.
Old May 5, 2009, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Totally understandable Michael. Just wanted to clear up any possible confusion.

Eric
Old May 5, 2009, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ultimateone
We actually had an Intercooler day years ago with SRT-4's and tested like 7 different IC's and came up with so much info it was nuts, AGP was one of the best.
I remember that on the SRTforums
Old May 5, 2009, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why didn't you chose DTM for your comparison?
Old May 5, 2009, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

i saw this floating around awhile ago. i dont know how accurate it is but thought it might be helpful in here.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

i would go with ams:

1. proven company
2. proven parts
3. best look of them all
4. have done butt loads of testing to get perfect design

worth the extra $$ IMO
Old May 5, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Again this is not the exact same intercooler. I don't know of any other company that uses the cores we do. This is in no way saying an AGP unit is inferior. We have not done back to back testing to prove its performance. I am saying however your statement is not correct. They are not the same core of intercooler.

Eric
I'm sorry i didn't think the cores really mattered. I was under the understanding that it doesn't matter what core you use it still yields the same cooling effect. Therefore i dailed to mention the different cores.Correct me if i am wrong. I have read this statement in a couple of places 1 of which is from bellintercoolers web page, and somewhere else on the forums as well.

"Does one style core cool better than another?
No, almost no difference. With three decades of testing intercooler’s, we have found no appreciable difference between any core style or manufacturer. Keep in mind, that the merit of a core is it’s efficiency versus its internal drag characteristics. When sized for a tolerable flow loss, virtually all cores will produce essentially the same efficiency results. Perhaps a core with slightly less flow area per linear inch, or one with longer tubes, will need perhaps 5% more tubes to equal the best of intercooler’s with regard to flow loss and efficiency. Not a very important difference"
Please feel free to comment on your experience with this subject, because im in no way qualified to say one is better than the other. I will leave that up to the pros. AKA. AMS,ETS,AGP etc.... Im looking for performance not a bargain.

P.S. YOU GUYS ROCK!
Old May 5, 2009, 09:08 PM

AMS hands down!
Old May 5, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NyRsNy
Come on, thought this thread was to talk about the specs/gains? Not vendos trying to push their products...anyway i just picked up a intercooler from AGP for 550 shipped

I wanted the AMS one but i couldn't justify spending $250.00 more on the exact same intercooler...AGP IC is actually bigger.

AMS:
699.00 IC
50.00 Tax (required on their site)
50.00 Ship

AGP:
550.00 Shipped

No Brainer
How and where did you get it for 550 shipped?
Old May 5, 2009, 09:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, but I'm sure that most manufactures or sub companies get their cores from some company in Mexico then it redistributed under a bunch of different names, etc... etc...

Either way, I do not believe one bit you are going to get a subpar products from AGP, AMS, ETS, PERRIN, etc... all reputable vendors.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mj23foreva
How and where did you get it for 550 shipped?
Just PM him, lets not turn this into a price match thread like the last one thanks.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silver06evo9mr
i would go with ams:

1. Proven company
2. Proven parts
3. Best look of them all
4. Have done butt loads of testing to get perfect design

worth the extra $$ imo
+1
Old May 6, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Price match thread? Whats wrong with that? Thats true capitalism isnt it?

Not to get off topic or anything just got excited to see the word price match.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by toostar-ish
I'd go with the perrin although the rest are as good , the perrin is a better quality IC hence the higher price tag, and @ empirepb210 i think if you asked them to stencil it they would I've seen a lot of inter coolers with perrin on the front although ti prefer my IC'S anodized.
Perrin IC comes with a stencil. It is a giant sticker. Just put it on where you want it and paint...if you choose.
Old May 13, 2009, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

I'll be getting an ETS 4" FMIC in the near future. The deciding factor for me was that they have their own core design that is supposed to flow as well as the Garrett core (which I believe Ultimate Racing uses and is arguably one of the best core designs around) but unlike the Garrett, it allows for more airflow past the IC to also cool the radiator. Something not many people think about...

Quick Reply: FMIC AMS v. ETS v. Perrin (Discussion)