Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

FMIC AMS v. ETS v. Perrin (Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2009, 08:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FMIC AMS v. ETS v. Perrin (Discussion)

I am currently looking for a intercooler for my EVO X. Right now I have the COBB Hardpipe Kit, Cobb Turbo Inlet, COBB SF Intake coming in for the car.

I am looking to upgrade to a larger intercooler for mostly street driving and some track/autoX events.

The car will have the stock turbo in it for the next 2 years minimum. Therefore I am looking for something that has the smallest pressure drop.

If you have any knowledge why any other brand is better than the current brands I listed, please post your reply. *** "xxxxxxx" FTW *** is NOT good enough.

***Please do not post pricing or smack talk any company, this is thread is a discussion of the pro's and cons of each setup***

AMS (CAST END TANKS)

12.4" tall, 20" wide (32" with end tanks and bracket) and 3.625" thick
1250 cfm flow and only 1 psi pressure drop at 650 whp
Bar & Plate Core
VOLUME: 892.8

ETS (SHEET METAL WELDED END TANKS) 3.5" or 4.0"

20x12x3.5 Bar & Plate Core - 750hp Direct Replacement
20x12x4.0 Bar & Plate Core - 820hp Direct Replacement
VOLUME 3.5" 840
VOLUME 4.0" 960

PERRIN (CAST END TANKS)

PERRIN 20.75" x 12.375" x 3.625" = 930 cu-in Ambient cu-in 256cu-in
Bar & Plate Core
VOLUME: 928.5

AGP (Cast End Tanks)

20x13x3.5 bar and plate core
VOLUME: 910
Bar & Plate Core

Last edited by Clipse3GT; May 3, 2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why isn't Ultimate Racing on here? Their 4 inch core is impressive and price can't be beat! Out of the 3 above I like ETS 4 in.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:36 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Guru
Why isn't Ultimate Racing on here? Their 4 inch core is impressive and price can't be beat! Out of the 3 above I like ETS 4 in.
Because the UR core is 4.5", I want a little bit of room between the radiator & condenser. As well as the the UR is 18" wide and not 20" like the others.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

18 might be a better option though, design is key. When I owned an SRT-4 one of the best Intercoolers was much smaller(Old Evo 8 shape design) in width compared to all the rest of the wider, "huge" style intercoolers and it outperformed them all.

Has it been shown for IC's to be worthy on the stocker? or at a certain power level?
Old May 3, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

I'll go for AMS just because of the stenciling
Old May 3, 2009, 09:30 PM

what about AGP?? i have heard good things about them.. something else to consider.

are you planning on upgrading the turbo in the future? if so, i say a larger intercooler would be the best thing. but thats just my .02
Old May 3, 2009, 09:33 PM
Account Disabled

I'd go with the perrin although the rest are as good , the perrin is a better quality IC hence the higher price tag, and @ empirepb210 i think if you asked them to stencil it they would I've seen a lot of inter coolers with perrin on the front although ti prefer my IC'S anodized.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by storm_trooper
what about AGP?? i have heard good things about them.. something else to consider.

are you planning on upgrading the turbo in the future? if so, i say a larger intercooler would be the best thing. but thats just my .02
I forgot, good heads up.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toostar-ish
I'd go with the perrin although the rest are as good , the perrin is a better quality IC hence the higher price tag, and @ empirepb210 i think if you asked them to stencil it they would I've seen a lot of inter coolers with perrin on the front although ti prefer my IC'S anodized.
i doubt the perrin's "better quality" has anything to do with price - it all comes down to sheet metal or cast, and thickness/efficiency of the core. to that extent, i see the cast ICs are better over sheet metal (heavier but better collector), and core size, well, it depends on your needs. for most, a 3.5" thick core is more than sufficient.

personally i have the AGP IC - cast, 3.5" core for $500 shipped from the group buy. price for value is hard to beat at that price point.

Last edited by EndlessRed; May 3, 2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
i doubt the perrin's "better quality" has anything to do with price - it all comes down to sheet metal or cast, and thickness/efficiency of the core. to that extent, i see the cast ICs are better over sheet metal (heavier but better collector), and core size, well, it depends on your needs. for most of us, a 3.5" thick core is more than sufficient.

personally i have the AGP IC - cast, 3.5" core for $500 shipped from the group buy. price for value is hard to beat at that price point.
Link to group buy?

Wow, that's awesome.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ there's an AGP rep lurking around here...if you search the vendor forums for "AGP", you'll find the GB. the title was literally advertising $500 shipped lol
Old May 3, 2009, 10:08 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
^^^ there's an AGP rep lurking around here...if you search the vendor forums for "AGP", you'll find the GB. the title was literally advertising $500 shipped lol
Got it. Thanks!
Old May 3, 2009, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

I have a wide end tank ETS 4" core for my IX and it very well made and fit as expected. I have always heard that ETS parts fit very well and in my experience of a few parts, that is very true.
Old May 4, 2009, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

The issue of the "best FMIC" has been discussed extensively here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rcooler-3.html and elsewhere. To me there are some critical variables that should be considered:
(1) pressure drop (as mentioned by Clipse3GT) but at a specified airflow
(2) temperature drop also at a specified flow rate
(3) frontal area relative to same for vehicle (there is only so much area available for direct exchange on any vehicle)
(4) ease of installation (do you have to hack into the the bumper assembly to install; 4" will be more difficult than a 3" wide)
(5) size of FMIC and its influence on engine's radiator efficiency
(6) cost.
The second item is especially important since the X has high temperature inputs as discusssed by Perrin earlier (see their website) due to proximity of the X's exhaust manifold. In an experimental world, it would be really informative to have temp sensors in and out of FMIC for various loads UNDER ROAD CONDITIONS for each vendors core. By so doing, in conjunction with the other items/variables listed above, our decision making would be rather trivial. Unfortunately such testing is unlikely so we will continue to be confused and uncertain when it comes to choosing a FMIC.
I know this little discourse solves nothing but it clearly shows the direction we need to go in: relevant testing under real world conditions.

Later, Ken
Old May 4, 2009, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

We actually had an Intercooler day years ago with SRT-4's and tested like 7 different IC's and came up with so much info it was nuts, AGP was one of the best.

Quick Reply: FMIC AMS v. ETS v. Perrin (Discussion)