Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Major Boost loss at 15 lbs

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Boost loss at 15 lbs

So ive tried to search these forums for a solution and have found nothing.
I have already installed the AMS intercooler, Intake and top pipe. In addition I have a Hallman manual boost controller for the time being and I was running boost at 21 psi for months and have been waiting for the release of the ams dual exhaust before I got a tune. Last weekend I was running at pocono race way in a hpde event when all of a sudden I lost a ton of boost so i immediately got off the track and looked at my engine and noticed I had blown the vacuum hose off of my intake so i reattached it and clamped it tight. I then figured that the problem was fixed but after driving it again I still was losing tons of boost. with a
little testing I realized that the car is fine until I hit 15 lbs and then
it dumps the extra boost with a giant swoooooosh. when the windows are down its extremely loud. later that night I went home and plugged the oem
boost solenoid back up and was only getting 12bs of boost. Also after
reading some documentation on the cobb site for using the access port to
control boost I notice that the old vacuum tubes that i had disconnected
from the stock solenoid had brass pills in them but since i cut the hoses off in
the first place and not realizing it I dont have those pills any more.
I included a photo just to point out the hose i blew off and then put back on.

First off is it possible that i blew my Manual boost controller or could
it be something else?

Also when i do get my tune should I control boost with the Access port or still use a manual boost controller?

Ive checked all my hoses and they all seem connected and tight. Even if I had a loose connection on some of my pipes would I lose so much boost at 15lbs? Like I said I was fine for months and thought 21 lbs was conservative.

In addition were brass pills in both those vacuum hoses that i originally disconnected from the stock solenoid?

Old May 9, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

bump for help! has any one else had or seen this problem?
Old May 9, 2009, 09:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You pictured an intake pipe. The intake pipe has nothing to do with boost. All you did was connect a breather tube to the intake.

You leak lies elsewhere where actual boost is contained.
Old May 9, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Your only solution is to do a boost leak test. That way you can pinpoint the problem. You'll be surprised where you'll find the leaks...
Old May 9, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

I was showing the image just because im confused why I blew the tube off and I lost all that boost at the same time. Im also pointing to the stock solenoid because im confused if i hook that back up to control the boost were there two brass pills in both those hoses that im missing? Cobb mentioned that you are supposed to replace one of them. Basically Im more confused about what part of the turbo system would be dropping all that boost with a Giant Swooooooshh. Its really really loud. I dont have access to a dyno right now and I can only hit 15lbs when driving and no way to look under the hood to see where that sound is coming from. like i said it was running well at 21 lbs for months then bam this happened. Could it have something to do with my turbo. Im gonna dig deeper into my engine bay today and see if there is any thing visible but just not sure where to start
Old May 9, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
i had mbc and i think my spring went in it, honestly i think there garbage, i had the same problem as you , and my problem was solved when i went to the apexi avc-r , i love it , its very simple to install if you have basic knowledge and no more boost dropping off or going out and adjusting due to climate changes.
Old May 9, 2009, 09:53 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manual boost controllers are more reliable than electronic ones.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

i've got a forge mbc and it required constant adjustment and would cause overboost. since i started using ecu controlled boost and adjusting the tables I never had any issues. ill take stock ecu controlled boost anyday over a mbc.
Old May 9, 2009, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

I would get an AP tune I let the ECU handle boost control.
Old May 9, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

You have to remove one of the boost pills for a Stage 2 AP tune instructions are here:

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/.../EVOXMaps.html

not sure what the happens if the other one is missing.
Old May 9, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

after looking closer at all my tubes and hoses im convinced nothing is leaking boost. I now assume its the mbc. In addition i found the two restricter pills that were in my vacuum hoses attached to the boost solenoid and am now removing the one cobb explains to do. I thought that i lost them when i cut the hoses off but now realized that they are installed deeper into the hose. My bad. Now that Ams is releasing the dual exhaust in the upcoming week I will be installing it with the high flow cat and down pipe and will go get a custom tune that week. Fingers crossed boost problem will be fixed. Thanks guys
Old May 9, 2009, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

No problem hopefully everything works out.