Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

I need...a quiet exhaust

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need...a quiet exhaust

so, my buschur "quiet" cat-back was on today, and to my surprise...well, it was a lot louder than what their video demo'd, let's just say that. does anyone have an idea where i can get a QUIET (as in not very audible, i don't care about having that growling effect all the other exhausts seem to aim for), 3" pipe, dual exit exhaust? my budget is about $1200 for this part. where can that land me?

edit: so far, i've got T1R and potentially Magnaflow as options, with others being HKS/Blitz/Greddy that unfortunately bottlenecks at the axle flange.

Last edited by EndlessRed; May 11, 2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:11 PM

I have the t1r catback and it is very quiet. Can only really hear it when you really step on it. I've also heard hks and the greddy spectrum are quiet but the greddy is 2.75 piping
Old May 9, 2009, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your best bet might be to go custom. An exhaust shop could put together a 3" with a quieter muffler option and maybe even a resonator for your price point...
Old May 9, 2009, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by visionz
I have the t1r catback and it is very quiet. Can only really hear it when you really step on it. I've also heard hks and the greddy spectrum are quiet but the greddy is 2.75 piping
i saw some clips of the t1r catback, i dunno...it sounds just as loud, even though i know vids and sound clips don't do exhaust justice. i was hoping it would be somewhere like apex'i world sport II exhaust quiet (i had it before and it barely groaned at full throttle), but maybe i'm out of luck here and may have to weld in my own resonators to keep the noise down.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
i saw some clips of the t1r catback, i dunno...it sounds just as loud, even though i know vids and sound clips don't do exhaust justice. i was hoping it would be somewhere like apex'i world sport II exhaust quiet (i had it before and it barely groaned at full throttle), but maybe i'm out of luck here and may have to weld in my own resonators to keep the noise down.
Come by, hear ronnies T1R its quiet and just right, we also have Fujitsubo
another nice quiet exhaust!!
Old May 9, 2009, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HB Speed
Come by, hear ronnies T1R its quiet and just right, we also have Fujitsubo
another nice quiet exhaust!!
well my tuning appointment isn't due till the 13th of next month...i don't think i can just drop by and have ron rev his car for me?
Old May 9, 2009, 10:38 PM
Former Sponsor

well my tuning appointment isn't due till the 13th of next month...i don't think i can just drop by and have ron rev his car for me?
of course you can hell take u for a ride too, or do a drive by.
Trust me i cant even hear his car following him over the sound of my red!!
Old May 9, 2009, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

of course you can hell take u for a ride too, or do a drive by.
Trust me i cant even hear his car following him over the sound of my red!!
you open tomorrow?
Old May 9, 2009, 10:45 PM
Former Sponsor

you open tomorrow?
Tues- sat 10-7

we may be there monday
but tomorrow is mothers day
if i go to the shop ill be castrated
Old May 9, 2009, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Tues- sat 10-7

we may be there monday
but tomorrow is mothers day
if i go to the shop ill be castrated
yeah i just figured that out i'll see about making time during the week, sneak out of work for a bit
Old May 10, 2009, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

hks legamax gets my vote
Old May 10, 2009, 01:01 AM
Evolving Member

get one with a silencer.
Old May 10, 2009, 01:36 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure which "quiet" Buschur cat you went with but if it is their high-flow cat then it is going to be louder than stock. An option with Buschur would be to get their SD muffler (I believe that is what it is referred to as) in the place of the catand then I believe you have the bullet, or maybe magnaflow muffler.

Read about it in the Buschur Project White thread. It seems like it is quiet, at least based on what people have said. One thing to note is that you will never get a true representation of an exhaust from a video file. You really need to hear exhaust systems in person.

*edit - I just realized you have a X, so I'm not as sure about your options. Here is a link to the thread I was referring to, though I'm not sure it will help you now that I realize you have a X: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...formation.html

Last edited by yahu; May 10, 2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old May 10, 2009, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yahu
I'm not sure which "quiet" Buschur cat you went with but if it is their high-flow cat then it is going to be louder than stock. An option with Buschur would be to get their SD muffler (I believe that is what it is referred to as) in the place of the catand then I believe you have the bullet, or maybe magnaflow muffler.

Read about it in the Buschur Project White thread. It seems like it is quiet, at least based on what people have said. One thing to note is that you will never get a true representation of an exhaust from a video file. You really need to hear exhaust systems in person.

*edit - I just realized you have a X, so I'm not as sure about your options. Here is a link to the thread I was referring to, though I'm not sure it will help you now that I realize you have a X: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...formation.html
for the x there's only bullet or quiet muffler. i got the quiet muffler option, and it has a magnaflow canister. if that's what they consider "quiet" then i don't think they're trying hard enough.

Originally Posted by JoeyM3
hks legamax gets my vote
looked into that. two things i don't like: 1) midpipe has no cat, and 2) the legamax actually shrinks to 2.4 on the axle, according to the specs. it IS quiet though, it barely growls on video, which is close to what i'm aiming for. almost every other option out there aims for that "growl," like the evo itself doesn't grab enough attention already.

Originally Posted by pcasupreme
get one with a silencer.
sorry, that is not an acceptable option.

Last edited by EndlessRed; May 10, 2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old May 10, 2009, 09:03 AM

I plan to go with the Blitz Nur Spec R because I heard it was quiet. I think someone even posted a thread complaining about how quiet it is.

Quick Reply: I need...a quiet exhaust