Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X Filter Choices...

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sylnraul_evox
Fitment issues???? Not sure what you mean by that, mine "dropped" right in without any issues at all...Overall, i think its the best for the price.
Can you double check? Is the filter properly in? When the bottom two clasps dont lock in you can get the filter into the air box, but its not properly aligned. Look at the top of the filter, its slanted.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Really?...that's strange, i didn't have any issue like you're describing. I admit it was a little of a tight fit, but it definitely fits.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Really?...that's strange, i didn't have any issue like you're describing. I admit it was a little of a tight fit, but it definitely fits.
are the bottom two clips in?
Old May 13, 2009, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

I hear the Cosworth filters are pretty solid. A little less restrictive than the HKS from what I've read. I hear the HKS filter is one of the worst when comming to quality. I've heard this filter allows a lot passed the filter.

Im also interested in which filter is the best for your buck. That wont also allow just about anything through the filter.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

+1 for Cosworth filter. I believe it's made with the same material as the AEM Dry Flo open element filters. The Ralliart and Cosworth are the only drop in dry flo filters i could find that were not foam like Perrin/HKS. Plus, the Cosworth is $50, very affordable.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

I'll check, but I'm about 98% sure that there are no fitment issues...we'll see.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

I'll check, but I'm about 98% sure that there are no fitment issues...we'll see.
I'm really interested to hear your feedback on this... mine's in the mail tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Project_Evo
I hear the Cosworth filters are pretty solid. A little less restrictive than the HKS from what I've read. I hear the HKS filter is one of the worst when comming to quality. I've heard this filter allows a lot passed the filter.

Im also interested in which filter is the best for your buck. That wont also allow just about anything through the filter.

Which filter are you referring to the HKS or the Perrin? I've heard good things about the Perrin, there's actually a link in this very thread to where you can find more information about the filter element itself. What I haven't heard is if this filter has good construction, and now the potential fitment issues have me worried.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by macPSU
I think the HKS drop-in is the best value. It works great and can be had for like $40 shipped nowadays. I had one before I switched to the AMS intake. I can't see spending over $100 on a drop-in filter like some of the others on the market when, after a tune, they essentially all make the same power. I think you'll find that the aftermarket filters will flow better than the stock one when tuned.
i agree, i currently have the HKS drop-in filter. it has a massive amount of airflow.. but the downside of it.. the filtration part (what its mainly there for) sucks. it lets so much random **** in because it made from those 3 foam pieces. which sucks because if they all make essentially the same power after a tune. why not get a different drop in with better filtration for like 10 bucks more.. i mean isnt it better for your car?

i learned this after i orderd it but i still love my HKS drop-in filter, dont get me wrong.
Old May 13, 2009, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Koroshiya
I'm really interested to hear your feedback on this... mine's in the mail tomorrow.

Which filter are you referring to the HKS or the Perrin? I've heard good things about the Perrin, there's actually a link in this very thread to where you can find more information about the filter element itself. What I haven't heard is if this filter has good construction, and now the potential fitment issues have me worried.
HKS

Originally Posted by pcasupreme
i agree, i currently have the HKS drop-in filter. it has a massive amount of airflow.. but the downside of it.. the filtration part (what its mainly there for) sucks. it lets so much random **** in because it made from those 3 foam pieces. which sucks because if they all make essentially the same power after a tune. why not get a different drop in with better filtration for like 10 bucks more.. i mean isnt it better for your car?

i learned this after i orderd it but i still love my HKS drop-in filter, dont get me wrong.
This is what I've heard, and which is why I don't see my self buying an HKS filter. Better safe than sorry =)

I'll be ordering a cosworth within the next day or 2.
Old May 13, 2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mj23foreva
The filter is too big for the air box. To properly put the filter in you have to make sure the bottom two plastic clasps lock in. When the bottom clasps lock in the top wont close. I tried for awhile trying to fit the Perrin one in but I just gave up and got the HKS. Let me know if you manage to get it in properly.
Is there any way for you to measure the thickness of the filter? That is not a normal thing to happen. If we find that you need a new filter, we would be happy to send out a new one for you. Let me know!
Old May 13, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris
Is there any way for you to measure the thickness of the filter? That is not a normal thing to happen. If we find that you need a new filter, we would be happy to send out a new one for you. Let me know!
I actually got mine in January I think, I never bothered to exchange it or anything. But if you guys can send me one that fits to replace the old one Id be happy to try it . I tried stripping the foam off surrounding the outer layer of the filter but that didnt work either. Did you guys change the thickness of the filter?
Old May 13, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Can you double check? Is the filter properly in? When the bottom two clasps dont lock in you can get the filter into the air box, but its not properly aligned. Look at the top of the filter, its slanted.
Mj23foreva try losening the turbo inlet pipe, get the botton clasp to lock in place, then try sliding the filter in and then lock the filter in place. After the filter is in place, then tighten the intake pipe back up.
When i first got the Nisei inlet pipe i had troubles fitting the stock air filter in place and getting the bottom clasp to lock. I had to fiddle around with the intake pipe to get it to fit right.
Sorry of the off topic!

I am also debating on which filter to get. Its a toss up between K&N and Perrin.
HKS is not a reusable filter, so its out.
Cosworth says you can reuse them but i wonder how strong the filter is and how long it can stand the abuse when you wash them?? The filter does not have some kind of mesh/steel backing to add bracing to the filter.

K&N has a good name to them and the gaurantees that the filter will last for ever. I already have the filter cleaner and oil, also it can be purchase local.

Perrin filter look like a very good product. I live in canada, which means you can not ship areosol cans. So how do i clean and oil my Perrin filter?? Can i use the same oil and cleaner that K&N makes for the Perrin filter?
Old May 14, 2009, 09:51 AM

I actually got mine in January I think, I never bothered to exchange it or anything. But if you guys can send me one that fits to replace the old one Id be happy to try it . I tried stripping the foam off surrounding the outer layer of the filter but that didnt work either. Did you guys change the thickness of the filter?
We haven't changed the filter since we have been manufacturing them. Before I send out a new filter, is there anyway you can measure the thickness of the rubber? Is it all even?
Old May 14, 2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
Perrin filter look like a very good product. I live in canada, which means you can not ship areosol cans. So how do i clean and oil my Perrin filter?? Can i use the same oil and cleaner that K&N makes for the Perrin filter?
Our filter can only be cleaned with a foam type filter cleaner. If you use the K&N stuff, it can actually destroy the filter! The cleaning process is pretty much the same as the K&N though. Our filter will pretty much last forever and will filter out dirt a lot better than the K&N filter too!
Old May 14, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The reservations you are having made me avoid oil type filters and get a Ralliart dry filter for my VIII, even though it was a lot more expensive. I don't understand why Ralliart doesn't make one for the X, or if they do why I haven't see it offered anywhere yet. If they do become avilable I would look into it because fitment is perfect and the durability is great.

Quick Reply: Evo X Filter Choices...