Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X Filter Choices...

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2009, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
The reservations you are having made me avoid oil type filters and get a Ralliart dry filter for my VIII, even though it was a lot more expensive. I don't understand why Ralliart doesn't make one for the X, or if they do why I haven't see it offered anywhere yet. If they do become avilable I would look into it because fitment is perfect and the durability is great.
They do make one for the X, but like you said it's expensive. Try the Cosworth, it's dry and cost half the price of the Ralliart.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris
We haven't changed the filter since we have been manufacturing them. Before I send out a new filter, is there anyway you can measure the thickness of the rubber? Is it all even?
Ok I'll try to measure it later tonight.
Old May 14, 2009, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

its 6.25cm w/ the outer foam and 5.25cm without the outer foam olr a little less than 2.5in w/ the foam or a little more than 2in w/o the foam

Last edited by Mj23foreva; May 15, 2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old May 15, 2009, 05:14 PM

Those measurements sounds about right. The filter is tricky to install, even with the box off of the car, we tested our filter on our airbox it was a little tricky. The trick is to snap the filter into the section of the airbox facing the front of the car. Then pressing down the metal straps.
Old May 17, 2009, 08:30 PM

My turn to put my 2 cents in...

1st thing, none, and I mean none of the aftermarket filters will filter as much as the stock filter does.

2nd, It isn't the thinkness of the filter as much as it is the material that they use.

I have put a bunch of different filters in a bunch of different cars, and types of cars. As far as the filtration goes, fram is the best from what I have seen on my off road rigs. It still gives a noticable difference, but still filters pretty good. They unfortunately dont have one for the evo x yet. I sent an e-mail to find out if they plan on coming out with one or not. Unless I hear from them in the next month or so on a yes or no I will go with KNN. I have not run perrin so I can't speak for them, but I definately would not run an hks drop in. We have taken a few hks filters apart and they are cheap to me. At least with KNN if you know the quality is uniform and that it should be pretty good filtration as it is one of the only filters that will not void your factory warranty.

my .02
Old May 17, 2009, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Koroshiya
I've been researching different drop-in filters for days now. I'm honestly getting really tired of it. About the best conclusion, I can come to, is it really doesn't matter in the end. The performance gains are a wash after a tune, the actual "junk" the filter catches is never measured, and everyone has a different opinion about the quality of said products. WORKS has a $112 filter (after shipping) that people say fall apart because the metal is held to plastic via glue. The K&N supposedly lets more dirt through because of the bigger holes, thus requiring more oil to stop the dirt from getting through and then people end up over oiling and screwing up their MAF.

With all that being said, it just returns me to my original assessment, in the end it doesn't matter after a tune.

Sorry for the rant I'm just curious if anyone else gets tired of so many conflicting "opinions" on a single topic. People say, use the Search, but in the end you find abouit 50 different posts on the same topic with no real clue who to trust and who not to trust.

Stock, Perrin, WORKS or K&N. I don't think it matters anymore.
A local tuner told me it is pointless to modify for more power unless you get enough air into your engine.
Rule 1: Give your engine as much "clean" air as possible.
I don't know how good the panel filters are compared to open pods but most would agree open pods are less restrictive than panel type.
I adapt the Apexi filter to UR intake for my car.

Some "old"info on different open pod filter element in case you are not aware:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
Old May 18, 2009, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slonez
A local tuner told me it is pointless to modify for more power unless you get enough air into your engine.
Rule 1: Give your engine as much "clean" air as possible.
I don't know how good the panel filters are compared to open pods but most would agree open pods are less restrictive than panel type.
I adapt the Apexi filter to UR intake for my car.

Some "old"info on different open pod filter element in case you are not aware:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

You probably wouldnt gain too much more power if anymore... But by putting in a good filter you can increase baseline.
Old May 26, 2009, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

We'll after taking off my air-box and checking my filter, I see that its not on correctly Hey Perrin, this thing does not fit properly. I even took off the air box and tried every possible way and it does not fit. If it's supposed to fit, can you please post some pics of how to position it for proper fitment.
Old May 27, 2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by sylnraul_evox
We'll after taking off my air-box and checking my filter, I see that its not on correctly Hey Perrin, this thing does not fit properly. I even took off the air box and tried every possible way and it does not fit. If it's supposed to fit, can you please post some pics of how to position it for proper fitment.
It's pretty tricky to get the filter on, even with the whole intake out of the car. This is the way I do it: Connect the 2 hinges on the box so the 2 pieces of the airbox are open up like a clamshell. Then carefully insert the filter, kind of like you are putting in a piece of bread in the toaster! Then you put the filter in the portion of the box that faces the snorkel and push it in as far as it will go. Finally you can close the box and snap the 2 metal brackets closed. Try that, and let me know how it works!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 07:43 AM

Where I could have spec of the Ralliart drop-in?
Is it reusable?
Where I could buy it?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:25 PM

any info????
Old Jul 18, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

I ordered my Perrin Foam Filter (from Perrin Performance) and been waiting the whole week for it to arrive. When I checked the mail today, I was surprised to see a little package... upon opening it, I found a Perrin shorty antenna =X Uhmm, where's my filter? Grrr, I'm disappointed... was hoping to bump up 10whp for a little trip tonight.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

I got the Cosworth today, fits perfect, not sure about gains per se yet but pulls nice so far.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

I like the works. I have the k&n, but will like to switch to the works later on.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 09:19 PM

i put the k&n in and theres quite a difference its awesome i was impatient waiting for my injen intake. that will be here within the week hopefuly

Quick Reply: Evo X Filter Choices...