Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X Filter Choices...

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X Filter Choices...

I've been researching different drop-in filters for days now. I'm honestly getting really tired of it. About the best conclusion, I can come to, is it really doesn't matter in the end. The performance gains are a wash after a tune, the actual "junk" the filter catches is never measured, and everyone has a different opinion about the quality of said products. WORKS has a $112 filter (after shipping) that people say fall apart because the metal is held to plastic via glue. The K&N supposedly lets more dirt through because of the bigger holes, thus requiring more oil to stop the dirt from getting through and then people end up over oiling and screwing up their MAF.

With all that being said, it just returns me to my original assessment, in the end it doesn't matter after a tune.

Sorry for the rant I'm just curious if anyone else gets tired of so many conflicting "opinions" on a single topic. People say, use the Search, but in the end you find about 50 different posts on the same topic with no real clue who to trust and who not to trust.

Stock, Perrin, WORKS, or K&N. I don't think it matters anymore.
Old May 12, 2009, 06:36 PM

HKS hybrid is pretty good.....just my 2 cents
Old May 12, 2009, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Very happy with my K&N. They have been doing this for years...and any aftermarket filter should work better than stock. For around $50 you can't beat it!
Old May 12, 2009, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the HKS drop-in is the best value. It works great and can be had for like $40 shipped nowadays. I had one before I switched to the AMS intake. I can't see spending over $100 on a drop-in filter like some of the others on the market when, after a tune, they essentially all make the same power. I think you'll find that the aftermarket filters will flow better than the stock one when tuned.
Old May 12, 2009, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

That's just it I appreciate the responses, but nothing new is being said. I guess it all boils down to just buying and hoping you get a good one, or not buying and seeing what the stock can do. As for the HKS I can't see paying $40 for a one time use filter. The whole reason I'm thinking about switching away from stock has nothing to do with power gains, it has everything to do with the following...

1. Will it filter better.
2. Reusable.

I really don't think there are any other advantages to a filter after a tune. Just gotta make sure it flows and it last longer. I was thinking about the WORKS because it's supposedly has good construction. But then I found a pretty convincing post that talked about it falling apart after a single clean because of the glue holding the metal and plastic together coming off.

So now I'm thinking there's very little point to get anything other than Perrin or K&N.

They are reusable & cheap. The only question is how well each filters.
Old May 13, 2009, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Can't go wrong with this deal if you're looking into a drop-in filter: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lter-sale.html

Wish I would have seen it before buying it for the normal price but even at the normal price it's still a good deal. as for an explanation about the different drop-in filters, take a look at the "LOOK HERE" link on that same post. Really good/interesting info.
Old May 13, 2009, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I've seen that post and read all the links as well. But my point still stands.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

I guess I'm just not clear on what your point is then...I think it just all boils down to what you think is the best one for you, get the one you think is the best...just my opinion tho. Good luck.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

I guess I'm just having a hard time accepting that WORKS would go so far as to charge double the price of another filter and not have a reason. Gah! :-P

I just bit the bullet and went with the Perrin. I hope to god I don't regret it.

Thank you for your order
Your order has been received and will be processed.

(Please print a copy of this page for your records)
Your order contained the following items:

1 x Panel Filter - [PEP-INT-110 LLL]
Old May 13, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't recommend the Perrin panel filter. It has fitment issues.
Old May 13, 2009, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Hey dude, I just noticed you're from Cary... I went to Cary High, and will be visiting this Memorial Day weekend, but unfortunately being in Cali right now, can't bring my X with me... dah well.

-Keola
Old May 13, 2009, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mj23foreva
Fitment issues???? Not sure what you mean by that, mine "dropped" right in without any issues at all...Overall, i think its the best for the price.
Old May 13, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Olaboy808
Hey dude, I just noticed you're from Cary... I went to Cary High, and will be visiting this Memorial Day weekend, but unfortunately being in Cali right now, can't bring my X with me... dah well.

-Keola
That's too bad! You living their permanently or just going to school then coming back to NC?

What years did you go to Cary HS? I went to HS in Hampton, VA but my brother went to school here.

Originally Posted by Mj23foreva
What do you mean fitment issues? I haven't read about this in ANY of the research I have done so far.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by macPSU
I think the HKS drop-in is the best value. It works great and can be had for like $40 shipped nowadays. I had one before I switched to the AMS intake. I can't see spending over $100 on a drop-in filter like some of the others on the market when, after a tune, they essentially all make the same power. I think you'll find that the aftermarket filters will flow better than the stock one when tuned.
Agreed, I think HKS is a good value. It does flow better, and does not cost very much. In the end, I think they all flow slightly better than the stock filter. You probably won't see noticibale power differences between them, just your brand preference.

I run the HKS, and it does flow better than stock. No problems and have about 8,000 miles with it so far.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Koroshiya
What do you mean fitment issues? I haven't read about this in ANY of the research I have done so far.
The filter is too big for the air box. To properly put the filter in you have to make sure the bottom two plastic clasps lock in. When the bottom clasps lock in the top wont close. I tried for awhile trying to fit the Perrin one in but I just gave up and got the HKS. Let me know if you manage to get it in properly.

Quick Reply: Evo X Filter Choices...