Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Motor mounts and Transmission mounts going bad at 16000 miles

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Motor mounts and Transmission mounts going bad at 16000 miles

I dont know if this should be posted under "General" or "Drivetrain" section, so Mods may feel free to move this thread to the right section.

So, I took in my GG X to the dealership for oil change and gave a driveability complaint about a rubbing and clicking noise coming from the drivetrain when making a full lock left/right turn from a standstill. The dealership comes back saying that the ribber bushings in all my motor mounts seem cracked to some extent, and the transmission mount is actualy cracked causing the noise I complained about. For some reason they saw it fit to involve a district manager for a COMPLETELY stock car to see if warranty would cover it. 2 days later, the service manager calls back saying he sees damage to my air dam and passenger side front wheel (curb rash), almost suggesting that my driving had somehow caused the premature failure of these parts. I explained to the service rep that it was just curb rash and he could speak to my insurance company to see what claims were made on the car. Anyway, the final answer the service rep comes back with is that they are only going to replace the transmission mount for my noise complaint, and they will only do it as a goodwill gesture, not under warranty.

So my question to you guys is, are the stock motor mounts so bad, do you see this often, or is mine a very unique case? I ask because I do push the car around the curves a bit sometimes, but not enough to cause motor mount damage in 16000 miles. The service rep said I should just get the trans mount fixed, and then when the motor mounts eventually do go bad, try raising a separate warranty ticket. It might be better doing things that way as opposed to pursuing this ticket to cover all parts.

Any and every suggestion/view is welcome.

FYI, there isn't ANY mod in my car, I never put in one, and I have NEVER participated in autocross or similar events.
Old May 13, 2009, 08:47 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes it happens, more often than not. MS3 had issues, Eclipses had this issue.

It happens. Probably replacing front roller stop with something harder would put less stress on the other mounts.
Old May 13, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Yes it happens, more often than not. MS3 had issues, Eclipses had this issue.

It happens. Probably replacing front roller stop with something harder would put less stress on the other mounts.
Damn! that was quick. Thanks mate.

I was also thinking that iif the motor mounts are REALLY bad, and I do need to replace them and Mitsu wont do it for free, I should probably get some good aftermarket mounts. I dont wanna turn this into a contest of which company makes better ones. What is a decent mount for Daily Driving without causing too much vibration, but something that will also withstand some track abuse if I do decide to participate in such events in the future? I guess I am looking for a decent balance between the two.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:16 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CatalystGod
Damn! that was quick. Thanks mate.

I was also thinking that iif the motor mounts are REALLY bad, and I do need to replace them and Mitsu wont do it for free, I should probably get some good aftermarket mounts. I dont wanna turn this into a contest of which company makes better ones. What is a decent mount for Daily Driving without causing too much vibration, but something that will also withstand some track abuse if I do decide to participate in such events in the future? I guess I am looking for a decent balance between the two.
I know that these vendors make them. AMS, Buschur Racing, AGP, Boomba Racing, Agency-Power.

From these I would go with AMS get the street durometer one. Buy the insert only, and have a shop press them out and press the new ones in.

It cost me about 50 bucks to press out the old ones (x4) and press in the new ones for my race Eclipse.

Last edited by Clipse3GT; May 13, 2009 at 09:24 AM.