Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AEM CAI w/stock vac line setup?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM CAI w/stock vac line setup?

Has anyone did this with their AEM CAI, basically changed to or kept the stock BCS vac lines and not used the much larger ones that AEM supplied and plug the other hole on the AEM suction pipe, basically having the stock setup? I am just curious if this would help control the high boost spikes. Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2009, 08:05 AM

Upzz for answer..
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

You were getting high boost spikes after you installed the AEM intake?

On the subject of the AEM intake, does anyone know why one of the vaccum lines connecting the boost control relay to the turbo inlet tube is so long? Do the two lines have to match in length or something?

Last edited by DarwinX; Jun 1, 2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarwinX

On the subject of the AEM intake, does anyone know why one of the vaccum lines connecting the boost control relay to the turbo inlet tube is so long? Do the two lines have to match in length or something?
Yes, I was hitting 25 psi, but then added the UICP and stage 1 tune and overboosted a few times at WOT. It was just my driving habits, if I had to much vacuum and was low in the RPM it would overboost and go into limp mode at WOT from vacuum, sometimes it still hits 26 psi on stage 1 but whatever, I think it is fine. Usually it only goes as high as 25 psi sometimes just 24 psi. I did set the intake up back to the stock vac config and got alot of power loss and a 2 psi down across the whole power band, but with alot of vac and low rpm, I could still hit 26 psi, just not overboost this time, so I talked to surgeline and cobb some more and then said don't load the car that much and put the vac line back how the AEM instructions say. SO......I just adjust my driving style, all is well, got over 2000 miles on this setup, no problems. And this setup means, the only thing I changed was my driving style.

And the length of the hoses shouldn't really matter I wouldn't think, probably just give you more then you need and cut to fit, I just cut my vac hose the length that I needed.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarwinX

I see also from your sig that you have the turbo inlet tube, so you have the stock vac config, cuz it only have one spot to hook vac line into, while the AEM inlet pipe has two and up's the boost, so if you are running the AEM map as well, that would also not be the Correct map for your config/setup. Maybe that is why you are confused.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:43 AM

Some how, i still could not understand why AEM intake, with its 2 separate hoses strategy, will result in higher boost.

Since the 2 hoses are connecting to the turbo inlet hose (TIH), it is mainly responsible for bleeding the air out from the 2 boost control solenoids (BCS). The diameter of the each BCS bleeding outlet (not the hose attached to it) on each BCS as well as the WGDC (ie the % opening of the solenoids to bleed.. frequency of on-off) will determine how much the boost pressurized air will be reaching the wastegate actuator, thereby controling the boost. This is independent of whether u are using 2 bleeding hoses OR 2 hoses T-ed to 1 hose OR hose with bigger/longer bleeding hose diameter OR simply no bleeding hose (assuming u are using the after market EBCS in interrupted mode ).

As such, i dont see any relationship between the boost spike and the AEM intake 2 separate/longer/bigger hoses setup? Is it something else

Anyone?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by THEMEMPHISFORCE

I see also from your sig that you have the turbo inlet tube, so you have the stock vac config, cuz it only have one spot to hook vac line into, while the AEM inlet pipe has two and up's the boost, so if you are running the AEM map as well, that would also not be the Correct map for your config/setup. Maybe that is why you are confused.
No confusion, I just forgot to remove the Perrin turbo inlet tube from my signature. I'll be selling it soon since I don't need it anymore.

I'm currently running the turbo inlet that came with the AEM intake.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

i just installed my AEM and its hitting 25psi, going to play with the hoses and see what happens.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

i have the aem intake too...but never really had the time to use it with the stock/oem bcs...using the 3port...but i was thinking what you guys could do is plug/cover one of the vacuum lines in there and make use of only one and using a T...figured it will cut the vacuum source...but then again the vacuum line is big so i'm not 100% sure about that...
Old Dec 28, 2009, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

just capped off one of the big lines and used the smaller stock lines on one of the Aem big vacuum lines and same thing. no dice, going to cut down the aem vacuum lines to a nub, make the twin small factory vacuum twice as long and see what's what.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

resurrecting an old thread rather opening up a new one...

i'm in the middle of the aem install and also saw the single line (2-1 from solenoid to inlet hose) factory setup going into the inlet hose, being separated into two by aem. any problems capping off one of the aem lines?

i'm also debating whether i should've just kept the perrin inlet hose(current setup) there and just install the aem box.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RedSER13
resurrecting an old thread rather opening up a new one...

i'm in the middle of the aem install and also saw the single line (2-1 from solenoid to inlet hose) factory setup going into the inlet hose, being separated into two by aem. any problems capping off one of the aem lines?

i'm also debating whether i should've just kept the perrin inlet hose(current setup) there and just install the aem box.
I kept the stock set up and capped off the other AEM port. No problems so far.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

I ended up removing that inlet pipe that aem provides and replaced with niesi inlet and then run a 3 port and then Cobb dyne tune no issues.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:06 AM

I ran the stock line on my aem, ad plugged the other coupler on the intake pipe. Everything ran fine. However, when I re ran the lines from the solenoid I threw a code that I can't get rid of.....

But, my car ran great on the stock lines lol