Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Specialty X dual catback

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't doubt that it has a bad drone, I had a similar setup (ETS) that was just unbearable.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

No drone, Sebastion @ Specialty X gave me a test drive in his PB X MR on the freeway and no drone. This is with a straight test pipe (there is an available resonated testpipe) and no resonated Y.

Thing is, I'm torn between this exhaust and the T1R (which has a low quite tone and uses a resonated test pipe
Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by theFLASH12
No drone, Sebastion @ Specialty X gave me a test drive in his PB X MR on the freeway and no drone.
No drone, hmmmm......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn4eOHLYhHE

at 2:50 it becomes noticable. Looks good but too much drone.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Would love to hear from some owners that actually have seat time with the exhaust as to the drone levels.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:21 PM
Seb

Originally Posted by Td66
No drone, hmmmm......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn4eOHLYhHE

at 2:50 it becomes noticable. Looks good but too much drone.
It's real tough to get a true feel for the sound via a camera.
Running the open setup on my car I have no drone. It is subjective to personal preference and I am picky.
Others who have driven the car along with me can say the same.
Those worried about any drone\sound can have the optional resonator in the y-pipe. Along with running a resonated test pipe or CAT pipe.

Last edited by Seb; Jun 3, 2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 02:38 PM
Seb

Originally Posted by 08 Evo X MR
i know this is gunna sound like im an idiot but what is the big differnce between a resonated test pipe and a regular one. and a full tbe is a catback testpipe downpipe right?

Here is a photo:

A resonator is somewhat like a "mini muffler". It acts to lessen the exhaust noise.
Not all resonators are the same as some are louvered, perforated, and maybe even baffled.

We use a perforated core so it is straight thru and will not hurt performance.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Seb
Here is a photo:

A resonator is somewhat like a "mini muffler". It acts to lessen the exhaust noise.
Not all resonators are the same as some are louvered, perforated, and maybe even baffled.

We use a perforated core so it is straight thru and will not hurt performance.
Is there a vid out there with just the cat back installed, without the resonator test pipe? Also one with the Hi-FLow CAT? What is the feedback on that HF CAT anyway? Have you guys dynoed a car with it to see the gains? Any issues with a CEL going off? I guess since I discovered this exhaust a few days Im getting excited. I was set on a different exhaust for the past 5 months and now you guys come make this. Terrible.

Last edited by Cornerstrike; Jun 4, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 01:05 PM
Seb

Originally Posted by Cornerstrike
Is there a vid out there with just the cat back installed, without the resonator test pipe? Also one with the Hi-FLow CAT? What is the feedback on that HF CAT anyway? Have you guys dynoed a car with it to see the gains? Any issues with a CEL going off? I guess since I discovered this exhaust a few days Im getting excited. I was set on a different exhaust for the past 5 months and now you guys come make this. Terrible.
We don't have a video of our own with the CAT pipe, it keeps it nice and subtle though. This week we installed our downpipe and CAT pipe on a customer's car who already had our catback and mentioned that it didn't sound "louder" but more aggressive sounding. Those worried about sound issues I recommend the resonated versions and or a CAT pipe. Although the open setup is not bad at all.

No issues with CELs on any of the pipes.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Seb
Old Jun 5, 2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Seb
We don't have a video of our own with the CAT pipe, it keeps it nice and subtle though. This week we installed our downpipe and CAT pipe on a customer's car who already had our catback and mentioned that it didn't sound "louder" but more aggressive sounding. Those worried about sound issues I recommend the resonated versions and or a CAT pipe. Although the open setup is not bad at all.

No issues with CELs on any of the pipes.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Seb
So basically your saying that your exhaust with the stock CAT is louder then your exhaust with the resonated HF CAT?
Old Jun 5, 2009, 06:04 PM
Seb

So basically your saying that your exhaust with the stock CAT is louder then your exhaust with the resonated HF CAT?
The hi flow cat pipe AND resonated y-pipe will be quiet but not silent like the stock exhaust. It will be aggressive but not out of "control" so to speak.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Seb
The hi flow cat pipe AND resonated y-pipe will be quiet but not silent like the stock exhaust. It will be aggressive but not out of "control" so to speak.
Well I was planning to keep the stock CAT and just getting the exhaust. Hopefully it wont be to loud.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
top on my list as far as exhaust is concerned.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Same
Old Jun 7, 2009, 01:40 PM

Well I was planning to keep the stock CAT and just getting the exhaust. Hopefully it wont be to loud.
It won't be.

I have the sx catback w/ resonated y pipe and a test pipe and is not loud at all. Looks and sounds awesome.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Looking forward to receiving mine, just put the order in yesterday. I'm going to keep my car mostly stock but this exhaust seems like a must-have.

Quick Reply: Specialty X dual catback