Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cobb/Perrin Turbo Inlet vs Nisei Turbo inlet

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobb/Perrin Turbo Inlet vs Nisei Turbo inlet

Why is the Nisei turbo inlet so much different than the Perrin and Cobb one?

Cobb

Perrin

Nisei
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
because nisei's badass.

no really, besides the obvious difference in materials, it's because nisei relocated the recirculation hose. you need their LICP to work with the inlet pipe.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
It's the placement of the blow off valve, we change the location of the blow off valve, and provide silicone to relocate the valve. The silicone intakes above look like they use the stock blow off valve location.

Good Luck! If you need any help, let me know!

Thanks,

Michael
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:14 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I know the COBB one is reinforced with steel mesh/rebar of some sort. As well as the fact that it will not heatsoak as much as steel or aluminum and it is a bit flexible to give more room to maneuver.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Cobb inlet installed on my car. Quality piece. It looks very similar to the Perrin piece. It's probably the same just different colored silicone.

The piece is pretty stout from what I can feel with enough flexibility when the engine moves.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
because nisei's badass.

no really, besides the obvious difference in materials, it's because nisei relocated the recirculation hose. you need their LICP to work with the inlet pipe.
You dont need the Licp with the intake. You can run your stock LICP.

But yes the Nisei intake pipe relocates the bov, and return hose to run underneath the intake, so you dont see the ugly hose. The intake pipe does not have the attachment for valve cover vent or boost contoller vent. The boost contoller vent tubes are vent to atmosphere (the stock unit vents back into the intake). Also there is no valve cover vent nipple. With the Nisei intake pipe, the valve cover vents to the atmosphere so not oil enters into the intake.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
You dont need the Licp with the intake. You can run your stock LICP.

But yes the Nisei intake pipe relocates the bov, and return hose to run underneath the intake, so you dont see the ugly hose. The intake pipe does not have the attachment for valve cover vent or boost contoller vent. The boost contoller vent tubes are vent to atmosphere (the stock unit vents back into the intake). Also there is no valve cover vent nipple. With the Nisei intake pipe, the valve cover vents to the atmosphere so not oil enters into the intake.
Correct me if i am wrong.. from what's described in the EVOX service manual, it appears that the valve cover nipple (or the breather hose) is basically used for drawing air into the crank case to mix with the blow-by gas. The blow-by gas is hence regulated and vented to the IM via the PCV.

As such, with there stock configuration, the breather hose is used to draw air into the crankcase, not the other way round. As such, there should be no oil entering the intake (turbo inlet hose) b4 the turbo. Only the compressed air at the far end of the IM will see blow-by gas, just b4 the air is mixed with fuel.. did i missed anything?

EVO X Positive Crankcase Ventilation System
The positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system prevents the escape of blow-by gases from inside the crankcase into the atmosphere. Fresh air is sent from the air cleaner into the crankcase through the breather hose to be mixed with the blow-by gas inside the crankcase. The blow-by gas inside the crankcase is drawn into the intake manifold through the PCV valve.

The PCV valve is designed to lift the plunger according to the intake manifold vacuum so as to regulate the flow of blow-by gas properly. In other words, the blow-by gas flow is regulated during low load engine operation to maintain engine stability, while the flow is increased during high load operation to improve the ventilation performance.

Last edited by tokwc; Jun 3, 2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

I have the Perrin turbo inlet installed on my car. Great OEM fit and finish for sure. It certainly looks and feels like a quality piece. Install was a breeze as well.