Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gates311 Review - Carbonetic Triple Carbon clutch / AMS Clutch Master Cylinder Ring

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gates311 Review - Carbonetic Triple Carbon clutch / AMS Clutch Master Cylinder Ring

Hey guys, here's a review of one of the latest mods to my car.

Throughout the 2008 season I ran an Exedy Stage II clutch...I ran 15+ events and made decent power (450+whp) while using it until it BROKE. The clutch shows almost no wear, except for the portions of the disc that broke apart. You can see in the photos below where it's broken. This may be an isolated case, but never the less it was very surprising. It had taking a beating and I guess it was just too much.

Moving on...I now run a Carbonetic Triple Carbon clutch, which is rated at 800 lb/ft Torque and 850 HP at crank. Eric Jones @ AMS did the install and everything worked out great. Along with the clutch, he also installed one of AMS' Clutch Master Cylinder Reinforcement rings. The clutch was converted to a Push-style. I was a little hesitant going to with a Triple-plate clutch because of driveability and reliability of the Clutch Master Cylinder. Being that the Carbonetic is carbon, the clutch is super easy to drive. Taking off from a stop, the clutch feels perfect....it's not difficult, grabby, noisy etc. It was a pleasant surprise. And with the AMS Clutch Master Cylinder Reinforcement ring installed, I'm not worried about the Master Cylinder anymore. Sweet

In a rush before the last Redline T/A Event, I did the recommended break-in procedure and immediately headed to the dyno to run and test a new setup on the car. I was kinda worried, but the clutch held up perfect. Chris did plenty of pulls, back to back, and the Carbonetic Triple took all the power without issue...the car is making somewhere around 500whp/400wtq. No smell of clutch or issues the whole time...on a brand new clutch with only hard dyno miles on it! Nice.

After the tune, we packed up the car and I headed out to CA for the Willow Springs Redline T/A event. Unfortunately, I didn't get many laps on track (see this thread for full story: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...ml#post7152125 ) with the Carbonetic Triple, but the few that I did get it felt perfect. It's very smooth...that's a perfect way to describe how it felt. I'll be out testing the car this weekend at Autobahn with AMS and I'll report back with a bit more info. For now...I'm impressed and very happy with the Carbonetic Triple Carbon clutch and the AMS Master Cylinder Reinforcement ring.

You can visit AMS Performance to buy both of these items, and I'd highly recommend both.

Carbonetic Triple Carbon Clutch

AMS Clutch Master Cylinder Reinforcement Ring

Ryan

Diagram of the Carbonetic Triple Carbon clutch:

AMS Clutch Master Cylinder Reinforcement ring:

Exedy Stage II Clutch Pictures:

Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
wtf how does that piece of metal eject itself?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice writeup as always! That old clutch failure does look odd, perhaps a stress point at time of manufacture.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

How streetable is the clutch how does it compare to OEM in terms of comfort?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mj23foreva
How streetable is the clutch how does it compare to OEM in terms of comfort?
It's actually really smooth. I was expecting to fight it, but it drives great. Maybe not as light and feathery as stock, but more of a firm feel. Not much change in effort.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:19 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
.the car is making somewhere around 500whp/400wtq.
You still rockin' the stock motor/pistons/etc Ryan?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
You still rockin' the stock motor/pistons/etc Ryan?
100% Stock 4B11t.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:25 PM
Account Disabled

100% Stock 4B11t.
Awesome great to hear. True test of those stock pistons is beating the crap out of it for almost 2 years now? on the track with tons of heat, plus you aren't slow.

- Bryan

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Jun 9, 2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

haha I just realized this clutch is 3K...out of my budget
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Awesome great to hear. True test of those stock pistons is beating the crap out of it for almost 2 years now? on the track with tons of heat, plus you aren't slow.

- Brya
Exactly...I like the posts on here about the fragile pistons. Weird...cuz we've never seen it...and I can say that my car is one of, if not the most beat on Evo X in the US.

P.S. Like the name change.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

100% Stock 4B11t.
That's awesome...very re-assuring!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:35 PM
Account Disabled

P.S. Like the name change.
oops!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Friend has this Exact Same clutch In his 600+WHP Race Evo and Drive ability is real not bad at all. I will say that with his car when its cold its rougher to start in first gear but give it a little bit to warm up and its Great. Grabs great and I DD the Car for a little while on the street and Really like this Clutch. Def my pick for one of the Best clutches out there and I would recommend it to any higher HP Evos out there And I LOVE YOUR CAR RYAN
Old Jun 9, 2009, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostd4
That's awesome...very re-assuring!
It really is!
Originally Posted by Evolution IVGSR
Friend has this Exact Same clutch In his 600+WHP Race Evo and Drive ability is real not bad at all. I will say that with his car when its cold its rougher to start in first gear but give it a little bit to warm up and its Great. Grabs great and I DD the Car for a little while on the street and Really like this Clutch. Def my pick for one of the Best clutches out there and I would recommend it to any higher HP Evos out there And I LOVE YOUR CAR RYAN
Thanks dude, this clutch is awesome
Old Jun 9, 2009, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Ryan any chatter on this clutch?

Quick Reply: Gates311 Review - Carbonetic Triple Carbon clutch / AMS Clutch Master Cylinder Ring