Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intake...MAF...Tune?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake...MAF...Tune?

So I'm thinking about getting the AMS Performance Intake soon and already have a tune on the bone stock X. I plan on getting a TBE and FMIC soon as well so I would like to wait for a tune until then.

The question...
So can the MAF compensate enough to keep the AFRs in check or if I should get it retuned?

I searched and all I could find was dyno results.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flyguycfi
So I'm thinking about getting the AMS Performance Intake soon and already have a tune on the bone stock X. I plan on getting a TBE and FMIC soon as well so I would like to wait for a tune until then.

The question...
So can the MAF compensate enough to keep the AFRs in check or if I should get it retuned?

I searched and all I could find was dyno results.
Maf does not compensate for anything, fuel trims do. Fuel trims are only applied during closed loop operation. FMIC's and IC Pipes (in particular the hot side pipe) can change the VE a good bit and cause it to lean out under WOT, or open loop.

Your call, but your best bet is to check with whomever supplied your existing tune and see if there is enough wiggle room in the tuned AFR (If you were custom tuned with a cat there probably is as you need to run richer with a cat anyway) and timing.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

I would think that since you are already running a "protune", your A/F ratio is already leaned out pretty good. Adding the aftermarket intake without another tune would most likey make you run too lean.

I personally would wait and get another protune once the rest of your other future mods are installed.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Ok awesome good info to know!

Anyone else in the same or similar situation as me? Intake with no tune or not intake specific tune?