Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Goodies from Perrin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Goodies from Perrin

This was fun. Installation took way too long because I took my time and got some pics of the install. I might do a write-up eventually, but it really was not that hard if you follow the directions that come with the FMIC. By the time I got everything back on it was too dark to take pics, but you get the idea.

The fitment is pretty awesome. I ended up having to use the lower coupler from the OEM FMIC as the upper coupler on the Perrin FMIC. I also had to use the OEM hose clamp as the upper hose clamp on that coupler (the one that clamps around the stock upper IC pipe) because the Perrin coupler was too big for the pipe, and the Perrin T clamp was too big as well. In the end everything ended up fitting ok, I just hope when I get my exhaust next week and flash with Stage III that the coupler doesn't pop off. It's stupid how Mitsu put a double flare on the hot side lower pipe and only a single flare on the cold side upper pipe. Ah well.

No complaints about this FMIC though - it came packaged well and instructions were easy to follow. It's heavier than stock, but it's a LOT bigger, and thicker, as the pics show.

Boxes make me happy.

Virgin.

Not so much anymore.

This looks like a scary transformer face.

Teh biggar.

Teh thickar!

Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! If I had to choose between Perrin and AMS intercooler, this is hands down a much better build and beefier in looks.

Last edited by GGIXMRSE06; Jun 29, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:18 PM

Looks nice! How much heavier is it?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks really really nice!
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Good write-up, thanks!
Looks like the build quality is way up there.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks dudes.

It's quite a bit heavier. I didn't weigh them, but I'd say maybe 2-3x as much. I'm really impressed with the build quality and the fitment was excellent as well.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
man u guys get access to good stuff
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

The quality on the Perrin unit looks top notch! Wow.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

This is the intercooler I'm going to get when the time comes. Appearance wise it's the best IMO.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

How long did it take to take the nose off? Was it a pain?

Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

have u driven the car yet? does it feel any different?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

I drove the car all day today. I should say that I've got a Perrin Stage III map on my Cobb AP right now waiting for my 3" Perrin exhaust to come so I can make the flash. I was scared in the mean time that the Perrin FMIC was going to be too big and was going to make the car slower, or kill throttle response, etc. I can say after driving a few hours today that it hasn't - and for that I'm glad. I can't say anything power gains wise because it's literally 25 degrees cooler today than it was yesterday (go Michigan) so there's no fair comparison there.

Getting the nose off was easier than getting the intercooler to fit. I was able to use the supplied T clamps on the hot side of the IC piping, along with the coupler than came with the IC kit. As for the cool side of the AC, I had to use the OEM coupler from the hot side (it's longer) and was only able to use the supplied T clamp on the IC side of that coupler. I had to use an OEM clamp (those little screw clamps - which suck) because the T clamp was too big for that small UICP. Even at its tightest it wasn't tight enough around the coupler and UICP to make a good seal and I was afraid of getting boost leak.

It's part Perrin's fault for supplying T clamps that are so large, and partly Mitsu's fault for not putting TWO flares on the lower side of that pieces of UICP like they did on the lower one. What's strange is that they put two flares on the OTHER side of the UICP. Two flares is WAY better than one, because the clamp can sit between them. I still don't like the idea of only one flare on that pipe as the car sits now.

Maybe it's time for a hard intercooler pipe kit... that'll solve all the problems. :-)
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarwinX
How long did it take to take the nose off? Was it a pain?

Taking off the front bumper is straightforward but a little tedious. You have to remove the fasteners and bolts that mate it to black plastic tray under the front end and in the wheel wells. The first time I took it off it was a 30 minute job, but now I could probably do in fifteen (or less if was hurrying.) It made my UICP install much easier as I relatively big hands.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by i64X
Maybe it's time for a hard intercooler pipe kit... that'll solve all the problems. :-)
My first mod was swapping out the stock UICP for a Nisei one-piece and it made a very noticeable difference in power (some say as much as 15whp.) You'll also pick up some boost response and spool-up noise as a bonus.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

that looks good...i have the same IC Perrin did a good job on this IC I should say. Ive driven my car from toronto to Boston and back and Toronto to NJ and back ...never seen any broken fins im really amazed..not just the performance but the quality is amazing!! good buy!

Quick Reply: Goodies from Perrin