Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

kelford stage 2 cams installed, car wont idle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2009, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question kelford stage 2 cams installed, car wont idle

ok this is what heppened, cams were installed (kelford stage 2) but the car wont idle so i figured it needs a tune

got a tune but still the same, we tried different maps but its no use!!

so i started snooping around the engine bay and found 3 huge boost leaks, even the intake wasnt hooked on right, so we fixed it, but the car still wont idle

it runs great when in motion and AFR is good, but when i take my foot of the gas (or when parked, same thing) the RPM dances between 0~800 RPM and then it dies

cars at the dealer now they are checking every thing and will get back to me tomorrow

any thoughts ???
Old Jul 1, 2009, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

What mods do you have on the car?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah what mods and who is tuning the idle portions of the timing and fuel maps? From what I recall I've heard people richen up idle to smooth out lumpy cams. Adjusting the timing can also effect how much vacuum it will pull at idle and too high or too low can cause drivability issues. I'll let someone that has already gone through this upgrade chime in with details!
Old Jul 1, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

i have cams and it did the samething to me once in a while. but after i got it tuned it ran perfectly.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

here are the mods:
agency power 3" cat-back duel exhaust
O2 housing down pipe with O2 dump
ETS manifold
ETS 3" intercooler with 3" pipes
AEM cold air intake
FP red turbo
800cc injectors
walbro fuel pump
kelford stage 2 cams (270)
exedy clutch
perrin mbc

car being tuned by 4wheelslide
Old Jul 1, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Verify that injector scaling is 665 cc (richer side) or 680cc (leaner side) to get those 800 cc injectors dialed in. I picked 665 cc in order to compensate slightly for the AMS intake and it's still adding in 3-4% fuel on my LTFT (still slightly lean).

If the cams were installed a tooth off it could really make it hard to get the car to idle as well. What is vacuum at 1000 rpm if you artificially add in some throttle to keep it running?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
From what I recall I've heard people richen up idle to smooth out lumpy cams.
My idle was reset to about 1100 RPM with my cam upgrade. Also check to see how it runs with the AC on, as idle under AC load may also have to be adjusted via tune.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

When I had cams (though in a IX) I had my tuner raise the idle to around 1050rpms. Smoothed out the idle nicely.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:08 PM

need upgrade valve springs for the cams.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

^This doesn't make any sense. Is this a comment or a question?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo16v
need upgrade valve springs for the cams.
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
^This doesn't make any sense. Is this a comment or a question?

I think he's stating that Stage 2 cams typically require upgraded valve springs. The OP doesn't have upgraded springs in his mod list.

The upgraded springs are certainly required for high RPM use to mitigate valve lash but I would think the stockers could handle idling...
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

valve springs shouldnt be the issue. im still running stock valve springs and i havent had this problem
Old Jul 1, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think most folks realise how "Big" the kelford stage 2 cams are. The best way to think about it is this in order of smallest to largest:
Kelford stage 1
Cosworth MX1
Kelford stage 2

I had to do a lot of mivec and fuel work with the MX1's. Needed a lot of fuel in the low rpm area and way less intake advance in the low load load rpm areas. Best vacuum I can get them to pull at idle (bumped to 850 or 900 iirc) right around 5.5 lbs vacuum.

First things first, you need to make sure the physical timing is correct and your not a tooth or more off in either direction. You can only add so much fuel at idle as the trims will compensate for any fuel you add or remove, unless of course you force the car to idle in open loop by setting the open loop load threshold to 10 at rpm points up to around 1200 - 1500, then you should be able to richen up the idle to 14.0:1 or so for starters. Also bump the timing a tad in the idle area's by 2 degrees or so.

Don't bother messing with the mivec on the exhaust side, from my logs it looked like the exhaust mivec setting did nothing up to a certain load and rpm, don't recall that load or rpm at the moment though.

Also, back out all the intake mivec advance (assuming you not still on the stock mivec maps) in the idle up to 1500 rpm or so areas. The goal is to reduce overlap at idle and very low load and rpm.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Enjoitk
valve springs shouldnt be the issue. im still running stock valve springs and i havent had this problem
If you look at kelfords website, they clearly state upgraded valve springs are required with the stage II cams.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
If you look at kelfords website, they clearly state upgraded valve springs are required with the stage II cams.
yep valve springs are included with the cams

Quick Reply: kelford stage 2 cams installed, car wont idle