Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which Turbo Kit to get?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I would go with the turbo kit, if you have plans on making bigger power down the road.

You can use the bolt on turbo and be limited to 450 @ 25-28 psi, you will still need to buy an o2/downpipe, upper pipe and intake to make that kind of power. I'm pretty sure you will be close to the price of a turbo kit. (Most customers do not want to run 28 psi all the time to make good power)

If you go the turbo kit route, you will have the ability to upgrade to a bigger turbo down the road and make upwards of 750whp if you desired (6262/HTA3586), we can even do a PT6765 (900whp) if needed .

We ran a 35R single scroll turbo kit on a bone stock evo and at 18psi on the stock fuel system made 420whp before running out of fuel on STOCK CAMS! This is at lower then stock boost!! Add injectors and a fuel pump, this car will be a monster!

35R on stock evolution x w/ a few bolt ons.

35R Single Scroll Kit - 18psi (lower then stock) - 420whp (Stock Fuel System on Pump)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9OH0...layer_embedded

You said you were going to IveyTune? They have been tuning the ESX Evo X, which has one of our turbo kits, I would give them a call.

35 Single Scroll Kit - Results Getting Better and Better - Check out thread for details!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ctane-mix.html

Thanks,

Michael
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor

$3600 - 35R Kit

Dominator is $1500
O2/Downpipe $440 (Don't have to have, but to compare apples to apples)
Upper Pipe $275 (I guess you can run stock, but who doesn't upgrade this?)
Manifold $880 (Don't have to have, but to compare apples to apples)
Upgraded Wastegate $180 (Do you need this?)

Total: $3275.00

I guess you could get into the dominator on a stock evo x for around $1500.00, but most people will buy the upgrades above. So I guess in short the main difference besides peak power will be if you want to buy all the parts together (turbo kit) or 1 at a time w/ the dominator?

Either way, you will have a monster on your hands =) Good Luck!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Personally I think a turbo kit isn't needed for the car. Why tolerate all the lag and expense to go with a turbo that MIGHT make a little more power than a bolt on and still not go faster in the 1/4 mile? Our car is making 450 whp on a Dynojet with simple bolt ons on straight 93 octane. Put the right combination together and skip the big laggy turbo.
what he said ^ lol
Old Jul 10, 2009, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor

We have seen full spool around 4k, that's not much of a lag on a 35R. The top end on a big turbo car vs a small turbo is night and day.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Im getting the Dom 2 for $1375. I researched both options and found going with the Dom 2 with full bolt ons, full fuel upgrade, cams, and meth was cheaper than the turbo kit. The kit I wanted to get was the twin scroll so it would $4200.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RaysEvoX
Im getting the Dom 2 for $1375. I researched both options and found going with the Dom 2 with full bolt ons, full fuel upgrade, cams, and meth was cheaper than the turbo kit. The kit I wanted to get was the twin scroll so it would $4200.
Where did you find that deal at?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Excalibur
Where did you find that deal at?
PM sent
Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are planning on installing the cams yourself, you better make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. The one thing no one mentions is the cam install. If done correctly it will be a serious pain in the A$$. Not only do you have to deal with the chain alone. You might want to look into the valve tappets that have to be replaced to get it into spec. I have heard that many have installed the cams without looking at the clearance, but I can assure you that there is no way that you will get away without changing at least 2-3 tappets. This reason alone is keeping me from going with like a DOM or an FP. I would rather just install a larger turbo like the one AMS or ETS has make the same power if not more without ever touching the block or head. Depending on the cam you may also have idle issues and SES light issues if not tuned correctly. Just my .02.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spazpilot
If you are planning on installing the cams yourself, you better make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. The one thing no one mentions is the cam install. If done correctly it will be a serious pain in the A$$. Not only do you have to deal with the chain alone. You might want to look into the valve tappets that have to be replaced to get it into spec. I have heard that many have installed the cams without looking at the clearance, but I can assure you that there is no way that you will get away without changing at least 2-3 tappets. This reason alone is keeping me from going with like a DOM or an FP. I would rather just install a larger turbo like the one AMS or ETS has make the same power if not more without ever touching the block or head. Depending on the cam you may also have idle issues and SES light issues if not tuned correctly. Just my .02.
Cams will be profesionally installed. Im going to Sean Ivey at IveyTune to get it tuned, so Im not worried about it not be tuned correctly.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

I'm holding out for the AMS 35R kit, or if more people test out the ETS 35R twin scroll kit I might do that and have TTP install it. This way when I can afford a new shortblock / CNC head I'm ready to turn up the boost.

The bigger turbo at lower boost is the way to go if you ever want to go above 450whp.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by flyguycfi
The bigger turbo at lower boost is the way to go if you ever want to go above 450whp.
Ryan Gates has his X over 460WHP with the FP RED.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There is no free lunch though, bigger turbos WILL have more lag/later spool than smaller turbos everything else being equal or it wouldn't be a bigger turbo.

If you are mostly using the car on the street with some drag racing/road course thrown in, the Red/Dom2/GT30 sized turbos are a nice balance. Go much larger and you are delaying spool another 300-500 rpm's which starts to really change the character of the car for daily driving. You also have to consider how high you are going to rev the engine to take advantage of a larger turbo as your optimal power band is going to shift upwards something like this:

Stock Turbo: 3500-7000
Dom2/Red/GT30: 4000-8000
GT35: 4500-9000

If you can take advantage of it then the loss down low is usually worth the gains up top. Just don't expect to go WOT at 2000 in a GT35R car and see any meaningfull power for about 5 seconds, you will have to adapt a different driving style to make it work well.

At the current price the ETS Turbo kit is a great value, and if you haven't invested in other bolt on supporting mods it's a great way to get it all in one package. Just keep in mind what your end goals are for getting that larger turbo though, for me, I already had the bolt ons and adding just the turbo seemed like the easier path rather than sell off parts that were going to be replaced.

Last edited by Hiboost; Jul 11, 2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
We are running the smallest Cosworth cam upgrade they offer, it was good for about 40 whp. Cosworth says they can be installed on the stock valvetrain. We've installed 3 cam sets that I know of (I do not run service at our shop) all on stock valvetrain and have had ZERO issues. You don't have to change squat, you won't get an SES light or anything else.

We are running our car to well over 8500 rpm on the stock valvetrain/shortblock to run the 11.9 at 124 mph we just ran with the car. Do I advise this for everyone? Hell no, but installing the cams professionally, you can expect to have no troubles.

Also, I have never seen a 35r make any substantial (20 psi is what I use to measure boost response) on a 2 liter, NO 35r kit on any 2 liter by 4,000 rpm.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Ryan Gates has his X over 460WHP with the FP RED.
Right, but I'm sure it was some rediculously high boost at at the limit of the FP Red. I'm not saying that is bad, that's really good, but if you want to make more power (like Ryan G. currently) you will need a larger turbo.

Ryan doesnt have the FP Red anymore. He is testing a prototype turbo kit for the X.

Also, I have never seen a 35r make any substantial (20 psi is what I use to measure boost response) on a 2 liter, NO 35r kit on any 2 liter by 4,000 rpm.
Could you rephrase? Are you saying the 35R will spool by 4000 or there's no way it will?
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
We are running the smallest Cosworth cam upgrade they offer, it was good for about 40 whp. Cosworth says they can be installed on the stock valvetrain. We've installed 3 cam sets that I know of (I do not run service at our shop) all on stock valvetrain and have had ZERO issues. You don't have to change squat, you won't get an SES light or anything else.

We are running our car to well over 8500 rpm on the stock valvetrain/shortblock to run the 11.9 at 124 mph we just ran with the car. Do I advise this for everyone? Hell no, but installing the cams professionally, you can expect to have no troubles.

40 whp from those Cosworth cams is rockin Dave, I'm definitely looking at them for my next mod. From what I read they seem to be right between the Stage 1 & 2 Kelfords too. How hard is it to swap valve springs during a cam install, can you even do it with the head on the car still? being able to rev 8500 with a little more peace of mind would be worth some extra monies.

Could you rephrase? Are you saying the 35R will spool by 4000 or there's no way it will?
I'm pretty sure he is doubting a 35R could ever spool 20 psi by 4000 rpm. Even from a good load bearing Mustang Dyno plot in 4th gear it usually seems to be closer to 4500 before the car is doing 20+ psi of boost. Maybe with every spoolup trick in the book you could get close but 4000 rpm would be very tough on a 2 liter with a turbo that big. I would love to see a dyno plot of one if anyone has achieved that.

Last edited by Hiboost; Jul 11, 2009 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Which Turbo Kit to get?