Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which Turbo Kit to get?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2009, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Turbo Kit to get?

I am debating on which GT35R Turbo Kit to purchase. ETS already has one avaiable. I talked to AMS and they said there's will be avaiable by late summer. Im in Iraq until November, so I have the time to wait for AMS to release theres. I know its hard to compare them, when one is not out yet. And there is very few people who have the other one. Im just looking for some input to help me make my decision.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
rays, you should check out the new thread I posted about our car running 11's tonight.

Be careful in Iraq and thanks for serving!
Old Jul 3, 2009, 09:53 PM

WAIT FOR THE AMS ONE!!!!! you won't regret it. I'm waiting for it now!! I'm waiting for the 3076R though. Same **** though. Cast manifold, Garrett Turbo......get it HTA'd at FP, good to go!!
Old Jul 4, 2009, 02:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chriso3030
WAIT FOR THE AMS ONE!!!!! you won't regret it. I'm waiting for it now!! I'm waiting for the 3076R though. Same **** though. Cast manifold, Garrett Turbo......get it HTA'd at FP, good to go!!
I wanted the 3076R kit too, but there is to many problems with get it to run properly. If they work out all the kinks in it I might go with the 3076R. As of now, Im going with the 35R kit.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Personally I think a turbo kit isn't needed for the car. Why tolerate all the lag and expense to go with a turbo that MIGHT make a little more power than a bolt on and still not go faster in the 1/4 mile? Our car is making 450 whp on a Dynojet with simple bolt ons on straight 93 octane. Put the right combination together and skip the big laggy turbo.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Word^
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^+++2 the last two replies.

Carlos
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

I am in agreeance with Dave here. Buy all boltons/cams and a good tune and you're lookin' at 450+ whp. All on a setup as responsive as the stock turbo? Thats something that is an absolute joy to be piloting.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

ripnbst, agreed. Autocross, road race, drag race, daily driven and a blast and competitive.

Our car ran 11.97 last night at a crazy 122.98 mph. With a real driver behind the wheel 122.98 is good for LOW 11's. At this power level the car is over 8500 rpm through the finish line, that is a lot to ask out of the stock engine and expect it to live.

I don't plan on running the car again until I can put someone in it that can out drive me (which doesn't take much) and then see how deep in the 11's it will go.

Stages 1-3 from us, Blouch Dominator 2 and Cosworth cams on just 93 octane and look at the power/performance!
Old Jul 4, 2009, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
ripnbst, agreed. Autocross, road race, drag race, daily driven and a blast and competitive.

Our car ran 11.97 last night at a crazy 122.98 mph. With a real driver behind the wheel 122.98 is good for LOW 11's. At this power level the car is over 8500 rpm through the finish line, that is a lot to ask out of the stock engine and expect it to live.

I don't plan on running the car again until I can put someone in it that can out drive me (which doesn't take much) and then see how deep in the 11's it will go.

Stages 1-3 from us, Blouch Dominator 2 and Cosworth cams on just 93 octane and look at the power/performance!
Dave, next time you brign that X to the track it would be cool if you guys could make a few runs with a shift to 5th and see how it effects the trap speeds and ET's. Most of us will be stuck shifting between 7800 and 8000 unless we do cams and stiffer valve springs and it would be a good comparison of what to expect.

Old Jul 4, 2009, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Im in the process of ordering all the bolt-ons right, and Im getting cams. Im getting my X tuned by Sean Ivey when I get back from Iraq in November. My goal is 500WHP. Can I reach that goal with the Dom 2? And its hard to find 93 octane fuel where I am at. Also, will the Dom 2 bolt to a tubular manifold?

Last edited by RaysEvoX; Jul 4, 2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well assuming 500 whp on an average reading (~20% losses) dyno that is likely 460 whp on a Mustang Dyno like Buschur's and ~ 600 HP at the crank. Good for 10.6 @ 128 mph range, honestly I don't think it would be easy to reach that on a Dom2 although enough supporting mods dialed in I guess anything is possible. Since the boost levels to reach that kind of power is on pump then Meth is likely your only bet, unless you want to setup and tune for E85 or race gas.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Well assuming 500 whp on an average reading (~20% losses) dyno that is likely 460 whp on a Mustang Dyno like Buschur's and ~ 600 HP at the crank. Good for 10.6 @ 128 mph range, honestly I don't think it would be easy to reach that on a Dom2 although enough supporting mods dialed in I guess anything is possible. Since the boost levels to reach that kind of power is on pump then Meth is likely your only bet, unless you want to setup and tune for E85 or race gas.
If I get the Dom 2, I will be getting a water/meth kit. Will the Dom 2 bolt to a tubular manifold? What Meth would you recommend? I hear Snow Performance and AEM are good kits.

Last edited by RaysEvoX; Jul 4, 2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

You'll need to get with your tuner to see what he says, I don't like getting in the middle.

My car makes exceptional power. I am using the smallest Cosworth cam they offer with stock springs/retainers, car runs absolutely perfectly all the way to the 8800 rpm rev limiter I have set up.

As for 500 whp that is a stretch on the Dominator turbo. I made 450 whp on a Dynojet which is what Ivey has. That was on straight pump gas at about 25 psi of boost. I would venture to say 500 whp on that turbo would be tought to achieve.

I'll tell you this, stop thinking about the dyno numbers. It's the overall power delivery of the car you need to worry about. Everyone is worried about the "upper right corner", there is more to the dyno sheet than that area and I can assure you the rest of the graph is more important.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
You'll need to get with your tuner to see what he says, I don't like getting in the middle.

My car makes exceptional power. I am using the smallest Cosworth cam they offer with stock springs/retainers, car runs absolutely perfectly all the way to the 8800 rpm rev limiter I have set up.

As for 500 whp that is a stretch on the Dominator turbo. I made 450 whp on a Dynojet which is what Ivey has. That was on straight pump gas at about 25 psi of boost. I would venture to say 500 whp on that turbo would be tought to achieve.

I'll tell you this, stop thinking about the dyno numbers. It's the overall power delivery of the car you need to worry about. Everyone is worried about the "upper right corner", there is more to the dyno sheet than that area and I can assure you the rest of the graph is more important.
Thanks for the advice. Im going with the Dom 2 with full bolt-ons with cams. If im not satified than ill add the meth.

Quick Reply: Which Turbo Kit to get?