Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing, 11's at 122+, only 93 octane.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2009, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Buschur Racing, 11's at 122+, only 93 octane.

Hi guys,

I've got a lot to put into this post. Hope it doesn't get boring.

We have been very busy building parts for the EVOX, thankfully. We have also been too quiet with the car and the project.

We came out strong with the car, built a lot of our parts very quickly when the car hit the market and we had great results. We did a lot of testing and found what, at the time, was the perfect combination. Last year on the stock turbo, full weight, stock tires, stock clutch the car ran 12.2 at 113 mph, this was on straight 93 octane.

We then did more testing to try to find more power. What we found was that while the stock cat is an excellent part there was some small gains at the 300 whp level (our dyno, reads low) that could justify an offroad pipe. We also found that at 300 whp levels the STOCK downpipe was more than efficient enough and it was pointless to build a new larger downpipe for the car.

We added an Exedy Twin disc as soon as they were released and just never ran the car again. Then we got a chance to try the Blouch Dominator 2 turbo, this was an impressive part as it easily raised the HP levels about 40 whp.

I worked on our tunes, built tunes for the RC 750 injectors, DW 800's and the DW 1,000's.

We also decided to try the Cosworth cams, this was the smallest grind they offer, again this was good for about 40 more whp over the stock cams.

At that point in time we were at 407 whp. Our car had run a best of 12.2 at 113 with only 290'ish whp on our dyno.

I drove the car, enjoyed the car and got to test other parts on customers cars.

What I learned through the last 8 months or so is just what I had found in the first place. The stock downpipe is an excellent part along with the stock 02 housing.

This left us in a dilemna, to build those two parts like everyone else was offering or just pass on the sales. I decided to pass on the sales as I found no gains in the parts I had tested.

We did build a 3" downpipe for the EVO X and it is on my car. However when the car was under 350 whp there were no gains in going from the stock 2.5" pipe to the 3" pipe. At the power level I am at now (400+) there may start to be some slight gains that will show up. More testing will come on that eventually.

I also noticed something else about the EVOX. The car is not geared to go very fast in the 1/4 mile. You simply run out of gear/rpm before you run out of power.

I thought to myself long and hard what to do next and I have been stuck on this for a long time.

The stock engine/head has proven itself to be just awesome but I know it can only take so much.

This brings me to today. Yesterday Trent built a completely new exhaust for our EVOX. Tucked it way up under the car so it's high off the ground, we used a cross flow muffler in the rear and made the car QUIET! Today I dyno'd it and did a lot of driving in it and I can't be happier with the outcome. Tonight my wife told me we she go to the track, I had nobody to drive the car but figured I could make a few passes in it, no matter how bad a driver I am.

Here is exactly everything we have done to the car:

BR 3" downpipe (prototype part, simple stock replacement)
BR 3" offroad pipe
BR new exhaust with cross flow muffler
BR ported stock 02 housing
BR ported stock exhaust manifold
Blouch Dominator 2, stock appearing turbo
BR upper and lower i/c pipe
BR MAF pipe, filter and carbon fiber shield
BR FMIC
BR Manual boost controller
Exedy Twin disc clutch
KW suspension
Cosworth cams
BR opensource tune on 93 octane ONLY.

Other than this the car is stock. Engine/head are untouched and have never been apart. The front strut tower bar is off the car, the spare tire and jack are out of it, other than that it is FULL WEIGHT.

Tonight I ran the car with about 5/8 of a tank of 93 Shell fuel and a bunch of misc stuff in the car. I want to be clear this is on only pump gas, the car has never had any race gas in it.

The runs from tonight looked like this:
1. 12.34 at 122.28
2. 12.07 at 122.33
3. 11.97 at 122.96
4. 12.04 at 122.24

The car is up nearly 10 mph from when we ran it last but the ET's because I am quite handicapped have only dropped about 3 tenths. My best 60 foot of the night was a sorry 1.85. I lifted to shift each gear. I'm still happy as hell that it ran 11's and ran all 122+ mph.

Now back to my thoughts on the car. In order for the car to cross the finish line it has to run at over 8500 rpm. Needless to say that is way past the redline and I'm just not real sure how long or how many times the stock engine can do this, especially at this power level.

What I have concentrated on in building this car was the fact it is limited on how fast it can go in 4th gear and giving it the best power curve I could without just focusing on peak power numbers and laggy POS to drive.

This car is a BLAST to drive. The close gear ratio's keep it in boost contantly and the turbo spools up as fast as I can remember the stock one spooling.

I just have to ask myself, "What do we do next? The car can't safely run anymore RPM in 4th gear."

I truly feel that focusing on the power band of the car, keeping a quick spooling powerful combination was the way to go and I'm glad we didn't just start making big laggy turbo kits and selling parts I knew weren't going to increase the power.

I've got what I think is the perfect EVOX, responsive, fun to drive and I haven't broken the bank building it. It's also VERY-VERY Quiet. The KW suspension is killer, rides great, corners amazing. This car can be used for road racing, autocross, daily driving, trip taking and it is maxed out on gear ratio in the 1/4 mile.

I do want to build a 35r kit for the car but everytime I start to think about it I again ask myself, "Why add the lag when it's out of gear?" Makes no sense and I guess that's why it's not done yet.

I have not searched yet but I do need to see if we can find or make a new final drive for the car. It would be nice to drop the cruise RPM about 600 rpm, which would also drop 600 rpm off the finish line RPM. That would open up some room for more power.

I would think given this is a full weight (minus the strut bar and spare) on just 93 octane it has to be one of the highest trap speeds recorded, given those factors.

I'm quite happy with the results.

I rarely post in the EVOX sections, so please excuse my long post. Just wanted to get some information out there and let you all know why we have been doing what we are doing.

Thank you.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice MPH there Mr. Buschur, it's cool that you admit that you're no Oscar off the line yet but I'm sure the car can manage low 11's with those MPH given some practice. Heck I know I'll have some adjustment getting my car down the strip this Wednesday, hopefully I can get some solid 11's under my belt and work from there.

I have not searched yet but I do need to see if we can find or make a new final drive for the car. It would be nice to drop the cruise RPM about 600 rpm, which would also drop 600 rpm off the finish line RPM. That would open up some room for more power.
I would definitely be interested in such a mod as the RPM's are just too high on the highway at 80mph. 4th gear also runs out too fast in the quarter mile and I refuse to risk revving it past 8000 rpm so I'll need to get used to shifting to 5th for those last few MPH's. Until there's a solution without resorting to taller motor cycle tires I'll have to be content knowing that the car hauls around a road course and is quick despite not having it's gears optimized for the quarter mile. It's cool that you are focusing on a combination of parts that a large number of Evo X owners will persue as not everyone is going to want to strip their car down and put a giant lag monster turbo on their car.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quite a few Evo X threads from you today, I'm glad to see that. We haven't heard much about the Buschur Evo X lately. It's good to hear the updates, please keep them coming
Old Jul 3, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

I was thinking I'm not a Kevin or Trent................

The motorcycle slick is not going to drop the RPM much if at all, the car needs a final drive change.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Hi guys,

I've got a lot to put into this post. Hope it doesn't get boring.

We have been very busy building parts for the EVOX, thankfully. We have also been too quiet with the car and the project.

We came out strong with the car, built a lot of our parts very quickly when the car hit the market and we had great results. We did a lot of testing and found what, at the time, was the perfect combination. Last year on the stock turbo, full weight, stock tires, stock clutch the car ran 12.2 at 113 mph, this was on straight 93 octane.

We then did more testing to try to find more power. What we found was that while the stock cat is an excellent part there was some small gains at the 300 whp level (our dyno, reads low) that could justify an offroad pipe. We also found that at 300 whp levels the STOCK downpipe was more than efficient enough and it was pointless to build a new larger downpipe for the car.

We added an Exedy Twin disc as soon as they were released and just never ran the car again. Then we got a chance to try the Blouch Dominator 2 turbo, this was an impressive part as it easily raised the HP levels about 40 whp.

I worked on our tunes, built tunes for the RC 750 injectors, DW 800's and the DW 1,000's.

We also decided to try the Cosworth cams, this was the smallest grind they offer, again this was good for about 40 more whp over the stock cams.

At that point in time we were at 407 whp. Our car had run a best of 12.2 at 113 with only 290'ish whp on our dyno.

I drove the car, enjoyed the car and got to test other parts on customers cars.

What I learned through the last 8 months or so is just what I had found in the first place. The stock downpipe is an excellent part along with the stock 02 housing.

This left us in a dilemna, to build those two parts like everyone else was offering or just pass on the sales. I decided to pass on the sales as I found no gains in the parts I had tested.

We did build a 3" downpipe for the EVO X and it is on my car. However when the car was under 350 whp there were no gains in going from the stock 2.5" pipe to the 3" pipe. At the power level I am at now (400+) there may start to be some slight gains that will show up. More testing will come on that eventually.

I also noticed something else about the EVOX. The car is not geared to go very fast in the 1/4 mile. You simply run out of gear/rpm before you run out of power.

I thought to myself long and hard what to do next and I have been stuck on this for a long time.

The stock engine/head has proven itself to be just awesome but I know it can only take so much.

This brings me to today. Yesterday Trent built a completely new exhaust for our EVOX. Tucked it way up under the car so it's high off the ground, we used a cross flow muffler in the rear and made the car QUIET! Today I dyno'd it and did a lot of driving in it and I can't be happier with the outcome. Tonight my wife told me we she go to the track, I had nobody to drive the car but figured I could make a few passes in it, no matter how bad a driver I am.

Here is exactly everything we have done to the car:

BR 3" downpipe (prototype part, simple stock replacement)
BR 3" offroad pipe
BR new exhaust with cross flow muffler
BR ported stock 02 housing
BR ported stock exhaust manifold
Blouch Dominator 2, stock appearing turbo
BR upper and lower i/c pipe
BR MAF pipe, filter and carbon fiber shield
BR FMIC
BR Manual boost controller
Exedy Twin disc clutch
KW suspension
Cosworth cams
BR opensource tune on 93 octane ONLY.

Other than this the car is stock. Engine/head are untouched and have never been apart. The front strut tower bar is off the car, the spare tire and jack are out of it, other than that it is FULL WEIGHT.

Tonight I ran the car with about 5/8 of a tank of 93 Shell fuel and a bunch of misc stuff in the car. I want to be clear this is on only pump gas, the car has never had any race gas in it.

The runs from tonight looked like this:
1. 12.34 at 122.28
2. 12.07 at 122.33
3. 11.97 at 122.96
4. 12.04 at 122.24

The car is up nearly 10 mph from when we ran it last but the ET's because I am quite handicapped have only dropped about 3 tenths. My best 60 foot of the night was a sorry 1.85. I lifted to shift each gear. I'm still happy as hell that it ran 11's and ran all 122+ mph.

Now back to my thoughts on the car. In order for the car to cross the finish line it has to run at over 8500 rpm. Needless to say that is way past the redline and I'm just not real sure how long or how many times the stock engine can do this, especially at this power level.

What I have concentrated on in building this car was the fact it is limited on how fast it can go in 4th gear and giving it the best power curve I could without just focusing on peak power numbers and laggy POS to drive.

This car is a BLAST to drive. The close gear ratio's keep it in boost contantly and the turbo spools up as fast as I can remember the stock one spooling.

I just have to ask myself, "What do we do next? The car can't safely run anymore RPM in 4th gear."

I truly feel that focusing on the power band of the car, keeping a quick spooling powerful combination was the way to go and I'm glad we didn't just start making big laggy turbo kits and selling parts I knew weren't going to increase the power.

I've got what I think is the perfect EVOX, responsive, fun to drive and I haven't broken the bank building it. It's also VERY-VERY Quiet. The KW suspension is killer, rides great, corners amazing. This car can be used for road racing, autocross, daily driving, trip taking and it is maxed out on gear ratio in the 1/4 mile.

I do want to build a 35r kit for the car but everytime I start to think about it I again ask myself, "Why add the lag when it's out of gear?" Makes no sense and I guess that's why it's not done yet.

I would think given this is a full weight (minus the strut bar and spare) on just 93 octane it has to be one of the highest trap speeds recorded, given those factors.

I'm quite happy with the results.

I rarely post in the EVOX sections, so please excuse my long post. Just wanted to get some information out there and let you all know why we have been doing what we are doing.

Thank you.
David, thank you, keep the R and D coming.... also, it would be awesome if Buschur can make a 35R kit, you may be surprised about the interest.....
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

We'll have to do a kit but it's really a stupid part to add to a great car. Too many good bolt on options that keep the car in the RPM range it works in.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Nice work Dave.. While your no Trent or Kevin i am sure it was still fun to be back in the saddle!! COngrats on the times.. Thats some good MPH and 11's in a evo X is no slouch.. these cars are SO Heavy!!!

MIke
Old Jul 4, 2009, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

I am definetely no Trent or Kevin! haha I did have a good time. I made 4 runs, first was a 12.34, the next three were within a tenth of each other, 12.04,11.97 and 12.07 so not too bad. The car is a bear to get to ET, because of the weight but also because the gearing is so short. You are through all four gears LONG before the 1/8th mile. That's a lot of shifting in the first part of the track where it makes the most difference in your ET. The car is gaining 32 mph in the back half, so it pulls strong.

I think with a good 60' and a guy who can really shift the car it is capable of sub 11.50's, even in it's state of heavyness.

BTW, of the 4 passes I am just proud to say that I didn't miss a single gear!
Old Jul 4, 2009, 04:39 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work. And, we appreciate the honesty about not building/selling parts that won't really increase the car's performance

I'm especially interested in the two points I quoted above.

First, when you say "quiet" what do you mean by that? I know it's a subjective term. How does it compare to a stock Evo X? Just curious since I would like a truly quiet exhaust.

Second, VERY VERY interested in a new final drive or new gear ratios for 4th and 5th. Not sure if you plan to work on something. Maybe a Bushwhacker for the Evo X or partnership with Shep? Possibly stronger gears as well as a new final drive ratio? Plenty of guys would buy new gears for two reasons. One, all of us realize 4th gear tops out and we can't get the ET we want. Two, all of us realize 5th gear spins too high at highway speeds. Revised gears would fix both of those problems. Like I said, plenty of guys would be interested in this even if they aren't die hard 1/4 mile guys.

Last edited by atombomb33; Jul 4, 2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 05:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adambl03
Great work. And, we appreciate the honesty about not building/selling parts that won't really increase the car's performance

I'm especially interested in the two points I quoted above.

First, when you say "quiet" what do you mean by that? I know it's a subjective term. How does it compare to a stock Evo X? Just curious since I would like a truly quiet exhaust.

Second, VERY VERY interested in a new final drive or new gear ratios for 4th and 5th. Not sure if you plan to work on something. Maybe a Bushwhacker for the Evo X or partnership with Shep? Possibly stronger gears as well as a new final drive ratio? Plenty of guys would buy new gears for two reasons. One, all of us realize 4th gear tops out and we can't get the ET we want. Two, all of us realize 5th gear spins too high at highway speeds. Revised gears would fix both of those problems. Like I said, plenty of guys would be interested in this even if they aren't die hard 1/4 mile guys.
busherwacker sounds nice and final gear sounds great please do that
Old Jul 4, 2009, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

This new exhaust is quiet, with the stock cat in place I'd have to guess it is nearly as quiet as stock. I will be honest and say our True Dual catback with our quiet muffler and an resonated offroad pipe was too loud for me. This new exhaust is quiet!! I love it. My kids can be heard in the back seat and they can hear what we are talking about now, not the case before.

If there is a gear ratio change it will probably be on the final drive, which would make each gear longer instead of just concentrating on 4th or 5th.

It will not be a joint venture with Shepherd, he does his thing and we do ours on transmissions.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

awesome runs, a consistent driver is a good driver. Sweet EVO X you got there
Old Jul 5, 2009, 06:55 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This new exhaust is quiet, with the stock cat in place I'd have to guess it is nearly as quiet as stock. I will be honest and say our True Dual catback with our quiet muffler and an resonated offroad pipe was too loud for me. This new exhaust is quiet!! I love it. My kids can be heard in the back seat and they can hear what we are talking about now, not the case before.

If there is a gear ratio change it will probably be on the final drive, which would make each gear longer instead of just concentrating on 4th or 5th.

It will not be a joint venture with Shepherd, he does his thing and we do ours on transmissions.
Great to hear about the exhaust. I'll have to see if I can find some videos once you release it for sale. Maybe try to find a guy who has it locally so I can hear it.

On the transmission, if you develop a Bushwhacker for the Evo X that has a revised final drive, count me in

EDIT: Found your other thread about the exhaust and saw the video. Sounds good...and is pretty quiet. Was that car in the video the same car in this thread with all the mods listed? If so, that is pretty darn quiet for all the mods.

Last edited by atombomb33; Jul 5, 2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 07:30 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
David,

When I first bought this car, I plugged the ratios into my gear calc and saw it would suck for drag racing. Excuse the mess, but you can see everything here:

Tire Diameter 25.6
Final Drive Ratio 4.687
1st Gear 2.857
2nd Gear 1.950
3rd Gear 1.444
4th Gear 1.096
5th Gear 0.761

That seen, here's fourth gear mapped out rpm:mph-
6000 89.5
6100 91.0
6200 92.4
6300 93.9
6400 95.4
6500 96.9
6600 98.4
6700 99.9
6800 101.4
6900 102.9
7000 104.4
7100 105.9
7200 107.4
7300 108.8
7400 110.3
7500 111.8
7600 113.3
7700 114.8
7780 116.0
7900 117.8
8000 119.3
8100 120.8
8200 122.3
8300 123.8
8400 125.2
8500 126.7

Notice there is a 7780 in there instead of 7800. That's where I have my rev limiter flashed in Ecuflash.

I agree with you in that I don't want to spin my car to 8500 all the time. I don't have engine work (as most won't), and would like to stay around 8k max.

Please notice that the X ratios are identical to the IX ones, but with a slightly shorter final drive. We all know why Mitsu did this, its because the car got heavier, and they wanted it to not feel too slow. But with us increasing the power, that doesn't matter as much.

***All that to say, I have fiddled around with the ratios. The current FDR is a 4.687. To make the car terminate in fourth a lot closer to an Evo VIII, swapping to a 4.40 would be nearly ideal. Look (RPM to mph again)-

6000 95.3
6100 96.9
6200 98.5
6300 100.1
6400 101.7
6500 103.2
6600 104.8
6700 106.4
6800 108.0
6900 109.6
7000 111.2
7100 112.8
7200 114.4
7300 115.9
7400 117.5
7500 119.1
7600 120.7
7700 122.3
7780 123.6
7900 125.5
8000 127.1
8100 128.7
8200 130.2
8300 131.8
8400 133.4
8500 135.0

Not only would this really help the car be able to finish in fourth, it would have a profoundly good effect on fuel economy.

I think that it would solve a ton of problems with one part.

Thanks a ton for the info, Dave, and keep up the good work.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice work Noize! I would also be extremely interested in a final drive gear replacement in order to make all the gears a bit taller. With about 400+ crank HP of a full bolt on stock turbo to a 500+ crank HP upgraded turbo Evo X, spacing out the gears a bit shouldn't effect acceleration that much at all but have a profound effect at the 1/4 mile times if it avoids having to shift to 5th. Getting better gas mileage is also a really nice benefit that very few can complain about these days.

That quieter exhaust might be something I'm interesting in switching to as well as I get older and wiser. Luckily when I installed the wrapped headers and wrapped O2/DP combo the sound levels actually got better so my ETS v1 catback isn't quite as piercing at 80mph as it was before. Should be a popular switch as not everyone wants to advertise their power to the authorities.

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing, 11's at 122+, only 93 octane.