Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case Leak

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case Leak

My transfer case is cracked near the rear output seal. It is leaking and gradually getting worse. I already tried to replace the output seal and that did not fix the leak. I am thinking that it may be from my downpipe heating it up and cracking it. Does anyone know where or how I can find the housing? I can't seem to find EVO X transfer case parts anywhere.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the x is still relatively new. having said that, it won't be easy finding junked/used parts, and you should be under warranty still...
Old Jul 5, 2009, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Well I have enough mods done that turning it back to stock seems to be not worth it unless I have to ... I am also tuned and would have to drive a long way just to flash back to stock. I have a guy who will weld aluminum and said he would modify my dp to prevent future damage but I am nervous about it. Being a girl, I am afraid he is just telling me what I want to hear...and that is a quick fix.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Getting a dealer to warranty the work, instead of dealing with the hassle, may be worth that long drive.

A transfer case leak is not something to take likely.....I recall the 2g DSM AWDs recall because of transfer cases locking up at highway speeds because the seal would leak.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Have you heard of any evo x downpipes causing the t case to crack or is this just my bad luck?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:32 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
heat wrapping the DP might help keeping the temps lower on the soroundings of that DP.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

What are your mods? What hp/tq are you at?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cweav
Well I have enough mods done that turning it back to stock seems to be not worth it unless I have to ... I am also tuned and would have to drive a long way just to flash back to stock. I have a guy who will weld aluminum and said he would modify my dp to prevent future damage but I am nervous about it. Being a girl, I am afraid he is just telling me what I want to hear...and that is a quick fix.
1) get a fellow male evo x owner to go with you
2) don't weld the transfer case, it will break again

i've never heard of a downpipe warping the transfer case, this will be the first. more importantly, are you sure it's the dp causing that, or it's just a stroke of luck your transfer case started cracking?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
1) get a fellow male evo x owner to go with you
:raises hand: Oh oh oh, pick me, pick me!

If it were mine I'd take it somewhere to have it looked at, especially since you know the case is cracked. Have you noticed any vibrations or knocking/banging... noises coming from the drivetrain?

And how close is your downpipe to the transfer case? I can see intense heat destroying a seal, but not cracking the case.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Hey now.... I am a very proud female evo owner!

So I have full agency exhaust (dp, test pipe, cat back), agency intake, bov, uicp, boost controller, tune and few other dress up stuff. I have not been on a dyno yet, it is street tuned
My dp is touching my t case and I can't even get heat wrap to fit around it...I tried. And no noises or knocking, just the leaking that is getting worse (with the smell as well...gross). What should I do????

Last edited by cweav; Jul 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

^ Why would you leave the exhaust on knowing that it is touching the transfer case?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cweav
Hey now.... I am a very proud female evo owner!

So I have full agency exhaust (dp, test pipe, cat back), agency intake, bov, uicp, boost controller, tune and few other dress up stuff. I have not been on a dyno yet, it is street tuned cuz I live in Colorado and there are few places who tune well.

My dp is touching my t case and I can't even get heat wrap to fit around it...I tried. And no noises or knocking, just the leaking that is getting worse (with the smell as well...gross). What should I do????

That is very odd that the DP is sooo close to the transfer case.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Agreed i would never leave the exhaust touching or even close to the T-case...theres your problem
Old Jul 6, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scottatyamaha
^ Why would you leave the exhaust on knowing that it is touching the transfer case?
Honestly, the exhaust was the first mod on my car and I was pretty new at all this. It was my mistake that as I learned more, I didn't catch this sooner. I wish I had cuz this is a nightmare. By the time I figured out what was wrong it was too late to heat wrap or do anything... really my mistake. However the guy that says he can fix my t case also says he can modify (cut, bend, weld) my dp so that it doesn't sit like that. I'm not sure what to do....
Old Jul 6, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

the agency power downpipe is known to have that problem - at worst it bangs against the transfer case when you hit bumps and other objects. again, don't weld - they won't hold. your best action now is undo your work and warranty it, hoping they don't find out. it is a lot of work, but it's either that or fork money for a new transfer case, with an unknown price tag, mind you.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Leak