Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo Oil Feed Line WARNING

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ nice part! save one for me.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by t12ung
After reading this thread right before my turbo install I decided to make my own stainless steel turbo feed line as mine was also kinked. This is what I did and if anyone is interested I can help them source out the parts or maybe even just buy it then ship it to you.
At the time AMS was going to make a braided line for me but they thought it was slightly different specs and I decided to just stick with the Garrett setup with OEM hard line for now since I got it to stop leaking. Pricing was ~$125 but it was going to be a one off line so it made sense.

Were the specs I listed accurate?

1) Thread and connector size into the Mitsubishi Block = M10 x 1.25 ? (plenty of clearance, uses M10 washers)

2) Thread and connector size into the Garrett GT3076R bolt on turbo center cartridge = M11 x 1.0 ? Stock Evo X Turbo may be M12 x 1.25 ? (Somewhat space sensitive since my tubular manifold is about 3-4" above the threads, width wise the connector shouldn't be much wider than the banjo bolt currently in use. Uses M12 washers, 10mm 6 -point head, 18mm diameter cap to allow crush washers to seat against, body is 12mm diameter where as the threads are about 11mm diameter, overall Banjo bolt length is 35mm with the restrictor hole placed 21mm above the bottom of the bolt.)
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by t12ung
After reading this thread right before my turbo install I decided to make my own stainless steel turbo feed line as mine was also kinked. This is what I did and if anyone is interested I can help them source out the parts or maybe even just buy it then ship it to you.
How much, i'm interested. my car is still leaking.

If the price is right i might be interested. My local shop quoted me $50 and ATP $45 +ship

I just havnt gotten around to it because I been to lazy to take my car apart. pm me ur price.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

if you have a local hydraulic shop, they should be able to build you hard line w/ a small flexible section on the end to relieve the stress. I never did like stainless braided lines near the turbo because you have to make sure the lines don't rub - the engine movement has the habit of turning the lines into a saw.

Kinda like the pic in the middle, but made mostly out of SS hard line w/ a small SS Braided Teflon on the end to relieve the stress.

If you are in Socal (near Upland, CA), you can go to Bonaco (http://www.bonacoinc.com/) - they made me custom hard lines before and it was fairly cheap.

Last edited by funks; Sep 3, 2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
This is the exact reason why we only use SS lines with our turbo kits. The old lines will become worn and bend (stress cracks). Good Post!

Thanks,

Michael
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im in a similar spot with my evo 2

ive just bought a masterpower gt37 turbo to fit and need custom oil lines

can anyone tell me what size fitting i need on the end of the oil line that fits into the head? is it the same as the late model evo8/9/10s?

any help would be appreciated
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

hey hiboost...

it almost happened to me too but i was very careful dring the 2d time of taking the turbo in and out.

FP has a SS oil feed line for sale on what you are looking for !

search on ebay, there is a supplier who has oem and SS option too.

another thing to note, if you are using the stock oil feed line again, be very careful with the O-ring (from turbo --> engine block) during installation. I tore the 0-ring apart ! luckily i have some spare o-rings laying around.

i know that we all know this but i think i have to repeat it, lube the o-ring generously and slowly wiggle it in smoothly and double check before you lock those 2 little bolts.

ah.... keep the turbo and lines well lube'd before starting the car and have a good few cranks before firing her up again.

sorry to be long & winding around on your topic but it's a PITA to take the turbo in and out again.

GL & keep us posted & just sharing some experiences

btw, why did you pull your turbo out ?

Last edited by E6-X; Nov 14, 2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by h8wrxs
im in a similar spot with my evo 2

ive just bought a masterpower gt37 turbo to fit and need custom oil lines

can anyone tell me what size fitting i need on the end of the oil line that fits into the head? is it the same as the late model evo8/9/10s?

any help would be appreciated
Yes its same thread pattern M10 x 1.25 and for oil drain get this part from AFI so you dont have to hack up your oil pan or stock return line.

http://www.afiturbo.com/store/produc...da98d51197bf80
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So it's been some time since I last posted about this oil feed line, but does anyone know for certain what fitting we need on the turbo supply side? I'm installing my turbo into a friend's car next weekend and need to find out the exact specs and make sure it has a similar restrictor, although there might already be a restrictor inside the turbo center housing.

When I last measure it the line needed to be 20-22" long

M10 x 1.25 on the block side

M11 x 1.0 was closest to metric spec on the turbo side, could it be a 7/16 x 24?

Any help out there is much appreciated guys,

Thanks!