Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X motor reliability and tuning potential ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AWDTerror
Wrong!

The Theta is in the 2.0T Gen Coupes.
Fact #1 : you are wrong

Proof:

(*****in mag btw).

I have read here and there where people are claiming that the Mitsubishi and Hyundai versions of the 4B engines are nearly the same. So to clarify, here are some factual things I’ve learned from talking to Gary at Design Craft (who would probably be the leading Hyundai 4B11T expert at this point in time), Simon at Hyundai (who is a Hyundai test engineer and probably knows the most about the Genesis Coupe at this point in time), and Mo at Mitsubishi (who just knows a lot about both versions of the 4B11T and a certified car nut himself) about the Hyundai Genesis Coupe and it’s engines:

1. The Hyundai 4B11T is not the same as the Mitsubishi EVO X 4B11T. While the Hyundai 4B is similar in many ways, there are very few common parts. The block, head, pistons, rods, crank, etc. are all similar, but different. Different in that they are lower grade. Hyundai’s rods are powder sintered whereas Mitsubishi’s are forged. Mitsubishi’s pistons are made by Mahle and have a oil reservoir underneath the dish like a Porsche turbo piston. Hyundai’s cast piston is no different in strength compared to one of their passenger cars. Hyundai’s 4B block has far less webbing (this is visible from the exterior). The differences go on and on. That doesn’t mean the Hyundai parts suck. It’s just that the Mitsubishi 4B11T is way better out of the box. While the parts are different, that doesn’t mean that the Mitsubishi pistons, rods, and crank cannot fit into a Hyundai 4B.

2. The cylinder head is different enough that the exhaust manifold and intake manifold flanges and gaskets are not common. They are absolutely different so there will be no manifold and turbo swapping. This is an absolute fact since Gary tried fitting the manifolds from an EVO X. The Mitsu engine is mounted transverse and it is very likely that the castings wouldn’t work anyway. That’s too bad since the Cosworth EVO X 4B11T CNC ported big valve cylinder head will be available to the public soon. See #6 below on the cams.

Personally I am getting sick of people talking about what motor is in the genesis. Even had some tool try and tell me they put a 4g63 in the genesis... Why would they put a 20yr old motor into a brand new car. ( don't take this the wrong way, I have owned both the 4g63 and 4g64 and loved them both. )
Old Jul 30, 2009, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skyseer
How do you know ?

I read it somewhere online that they put in a stronger 4 spider diff that should hold 100 more ft lbs of torque. Can anyone else confirm this?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 04:58 PM
Account Disabled

i drive my evo everyday and i am at 29 20 pounds drive around the streets i drive very calm and normal but my car is draged raced 1 or 2x a week then i drive it back and forth everyday to work stock clutch sucks but the tranny seems to be holding very well and so ar so good but i love my 4b11t I see much great things with this motor and yes i am on stock block i also check up on my car all the time change all fuilds and make sure its running well..my say to this is if you take care of it it will take care of you
Old Jul 31, 2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gexxer
Fact #1 : you are wrong

Proof:

(*****in mag btw).

I have read here and there where people are claiming that the Mitsubishi and Hyundai versions of the 4B engines are nearly the same. So to clarify, here are some factual things I’ve learned from talking to Gary at Design Craft (who would probably be the leading Hyundai 4B11T expert at this point in time), Simon at Hyundai (who is a Hyundai test engineer and probably knows the most about the Genesis Coupe at this point in time), and Mo at Mitsubishi (who just knows a lot about both versions of the 4B11T and a certified car nut himself) about the Hyundai Genesis Coupe and it’s engines:

1. The Hyundai 4B11T is not the same as the Mitsubishi EVO X 4B11T. While the Hyundai 4B is similar in many ways, there are very few common parts. The block, head, pistons, rods, crank, etc. are all similar, but different. Different in that they are lower grade. Hyundai’s rods are powder sintered whereas Mitsubishi’s are forged. Mitsubishi’s pistons are made by Mahle and have a oil reservoir underneath the dish like a Porsche turbo piston. Hyundai’s cast piston is no different in strength compared to one of their passenger cars. Hyundai’s 4B block has far less webbing (this is visible from the exterior). The differences go on and on. That doesn’t mean the Hyundai parts suck. It’s just that the Mitsubishi 4B11T is way better out of the box. While the parts are different, that doesn’t mean that the Mitsubishi pistons, rods, and crank cannot fit into a Hyundai 4B.

2. The cylinder head is different enough that the exhaust manifold and intake manifold flanges and gaskets are not common. They are absolutely different so there will be no manifold and turbo swapping. This is an absolute fact since Gary tried fitting the manifolds from an EVO X. The Mitsu engine is mounted transverse and it is very likely that the castings wouldn’t work anyway. That’s too bad since the Cosworth EVO X 4B11T CNC ported big valve cylinder head will be available to the public soon. See #6 below on the cams.

Personally I am getting sick of people talking about what motor is in the genesis. Even had some tool try and tell me they put a 4g63 in the genesis... Why would they put a 20yr old motor into a brand new car. ( don't take this the wrong way, I have owned both the 4g63 and 4g64 and loved them both. )

Hyundai took the development lead in creating the "world engine"

They gave the blueprints to Mitsu and Chrysler so they can customize it: Mitsu named their engine with the 4B designation, chrylser named it with something else. Finally, Hyundai named their creations Theta.

So when he stated that the Theta is in the 2.0T Genesis Coupe, he is correct. Theta is Hyundai's version of the "world engine", who happens to be the lead engineer.

Now, no where did I mention that the 4B and the Theta are the EXACT same. However, their DNA is the same because all three variants comes from the same "world engine" reference design.

Lastly, there is no such thing as a "Hyundai 4B". Its Hyundai 2.0T Theta.

Last edited by ConceptVBS; Jul 31, 2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 03:26 AM
Evolving Member

so then by what your saying is i should be complaining to hyundai for the third time i have returned my car for bent valves instead of mitsubishi... I wish, since hyundai's warranties are insanely better than mitsu
Old Aug 1, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ConceptVBS
Hyundai took the development lead in creating the "world engine"

They gave the blueprints to Mitsu and Chrysler so they can customize it: Mitsu named their engine with the 4B designation, chrylser named it with something else. Finally, Hyundai named their creations Theta.

So when he stated that the Theta is in the 2.0T Genesis Coupe, he is correct. Theta is Hyundai's version of the "world engine", who happens to be the lead engineer.

Now, no where did I mention that the 4B and the Theta are the EXACT same. However, their DNA is the same because all three variants comes from the same "world engine" reference design.

Lastly, there is no such thing as a "Hyundai 4B". Its Hyundai 2.0T Theta.

Wow, I did not know that. Could you find me a link somewhere on the internet with this information. I'd like to read more into it.