Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X motor reliability and tuning potential ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2009, 03:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X motor reliability and tuning potential ?

Hi all ! This is my 1st post. I'm considering to buy Evo X. I've read threads about problems with 4b11: ring gaps, cracked tops of pistons etc... After that i want to ask >

Is 4b11 same [censored] as ej257 ?

I had 2 STi's with ej257.
First motor broke at 20.000 km.
Second broke at 34.000 km.
I'm fed up ! I don't want another "engine of the year" lol

P.S. sorry for my english.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

So far there have been nice results, I have an X and haven't heard of anyone having these problems you were writing about , unless they pushed the motor without the needed supporting MODS. It'll last, it's a good engine, but needs to be sleeved for high HP aplications. If you want a beast of a 4 cylinder get an 06 EVO. The 4g63 is a beast, good up to 550hp.

Last edited by D420mac; Jul 25, 2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by D420mac
S If you want a beast of a 4 cylinder get an 06 EVO. The 4g63 is a beast, good up to 550hp.
I'm considering only new cars.

what are the most common problems with evo x' engine, transmission ? how often do they occur ?
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

engine needs sleeving after a set hp, and the clutch but you will have to replace that anyways once you have more HP.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

I know of a few evo X's over 550whp on stock internals. I know agp's was over the 530mark for well over a year on stock internals. While I'm not saying you shouldn't do any internal work, I am saying you should do some more research. As for the ring gap failures, I believe the thread on that covers it quite well as to the problem and the cars that are experiencing it. I also believe that for a first year engine and first year on the rest of the car it has performed quite well.

and no I'm not an AGP fanboi. Yes I use their products, They also have the only HIGH hp evoX that i have seen in person and as such i can validate my claims and it won't be gossip rumors.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Ryan Gates is way up there in the power too on stock block/head I believe. Maybe he will chime in.

He is also using a prototype 750R (or something) turbo kit form AMS.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

its rumored he is over 500, but noone has said for sure. and THAT guy runs his car hard every week. and i mean thousands of RACING miles have been put on that car already with many thousands to go.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

wheres the posts about ring gap failure, i tried seaching and didnt find anything
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by tokeone
wheres the posts about ring gap failure, i tried seaching and didnt find anything
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...misfiring.html
Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not going to make dragster. Biggest turbo I will ever put in my car is something like 3071, because I drive daily, and don't want crazy turbo lag.

Another concern for me is front diff failure. I like to go sideways, especially in snow
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

stock internals/ Sleeving is different.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:05 AM
Evolving Member

stock internals/ Sleeving is different.
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. Are you saying stock internals is differnet than sleeving an engine or are you talking about the stock sleeves in the 4b11t, yes it is sleeved stock.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

no the 4B11 is an all aluminum block stock, same as the Suby,s which require sleeving for high boost appplications. Internals include crank, rods, and pistons, rings... The 4g63 is an Iron Block which requires no sleveving, it'll handle tons of boost, but the internals are usually replaced around the 550 HP. I own an X and there is one at my shop that's sleeved for high boost applications. From what I understand from others who have built their engines. The 4b11 stock block cannot handle high boost the Heat and pressure cause the cylinders to warp, so their sleeved to handle the pressure. Maybe you can get 500+ HP without sleeving but I haven't heard of anyone. I'd be glad to read about it.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skyseer
Hi all ! This is my 1st post. I'm considering to buy Evo X. I've read threads about problems with 4b11: ring gaps, cracked tops of pistons etc... After that i want to ask >

Is 4b11 same [censored] as ej257 ?

I had 2 STi's with ej257.
First motor broke at 20.000 km.
Second broke at 34.000 km.
I'm fed up ! I don't want another "engine of the year" lol

P.S. sorry for my english.
out of the few posts you may have read about problems with the motor, there are THOUSANDS out there without any problems. The 4b11 is also being put into the new Genesis and obviously the Ralliart so there are lots of cars out there who have them besides just us. Remember when people write about breaking things many times it's due to driver error, or a freak thing, bad tune, etc.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

no the 4B11 is an all aluminum block stock, same as the Suby,s which require sleeving for high boost appplications. Internals include crank, rods, and pistons, rings... The 4g63 is an Iron Block which requires no sleveving, it'll handle tons of boost, but the internals are usually replaced around the 550 HP. I own an X and there is one at my shop that's sleeved for high boost applications. From what I understand from others who have built their engines. The 4b11 stock block cannot handle high boost the Heat and pressure cause the cylinders to warp, so their sleeved to handle the pressure. Maybe you can get 500+ HP without sleeving but I haven't heard of anyone. I'd be glad to read about it.
You should do a little more reading then sir, the 4b11t is a sleeved block, I'm not going to find the links for you as I am getting ready to leave for work. There are also many people running 28 plus lbs of boost on stock motors with just tuning and full bolt ons.

If you want to find it, I believe it was Buschur that tore the engine apart and made a very nicely detailed post about it. AMS has also made some very nice posts about building the engine which also shows the stock setup.

Quick Reply: Evo X motor reliability and tuning potential ?