Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

A Couple Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Couple Exhaust Questions

I searched around for some info on this and came up empty handed, so I'm just going to ask it. For those of you who upgraded to a catback exhaust, then at a later date to a turbo back, how much louder is the turboback vs the catback? Any advice is welcome, although those who upgraded to the ETS V2 CB, and then to the ETS V2 turboback, or those of you with non resonated exhausts, would be particularly helpful

And I've heard mixed opinions, so that is what I will probably recieve here as well, but is it worth upgrading the 02 housing and downpipe, or will this not yield significant gains...

Thanks In Advance
►EX◄
Old Aug 30, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as the gains go by adding a downpipe...it depends on who you ask. Some say very little to none at all. With that said, I upgraded anyway. The addition of the downpipe the car sounds exactly the same to me.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the stock O2 downpipe and cat with a catback. I then installed an aftermarket O2 downpipe and a high flow cat on the same catback. It wasn't super loud and obnoxious, but it does get a little louder. I like a decently quiet exhaust that you can still hear a little while cruising but gets aggressive at WOT. With that said, the full turboback is still bearable to me for daily driving, so I'm happy with it.

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Aug 30, 2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

I heard that the noise difference isn't that big. Its definitely less significant than the noise when you replace the cat with a test pipe.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

I've been reading up on this a bit. The consensus seems to be that the DP doesn't add much power but it does improve spool. It is also considered a pain to install--some people have broke exhaust bolts getting the stock piece off, necessitating pulling the turbo. I'll be having a shop put mine in.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
I searched around for some info on this and came up empty handed, so I'm just going to ask it. For those of you who upgraded to a catback exhaust, then at a later date to a turbo back, how much louder is the turboback vs the catback? Any advice is welcome, although those who upgraded to the ETS V2 CB, and then to the ETS V2 turboback, or those of you with non resonated exhausts, would be particularly helpful

And I've heard mixed opinions, so that is what I will probably recieve here as well, but is it worth upgrading the 02 housing and downpipe, or will this not yield significant gains...

Thanks In Advance
►EX◄
If you plan on going with a bigger turbo etc I would say yes and it is not a big difference on sound. If you're not going with a bigger turbo there's no need.