Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AEM intake with AMS LICP's question.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM intake with AMS LICP's question.

I just purchased an AMS FMIC. I'm now looking at pipes and I was thinking of going with the AMS upper and lowers in black to match the FMIC. I have been tuner shopping recently and got a response from a shop stating:

"You stated AMS front mount core and "pipes", does this mean the upper and lower intercooler pipes? If so then you may have a problem. The AMS lower intercooler pipe does not work with the stock air box and the AEM intake uses a box that is the same size. We tried installing the same AMS lower I/C pipe on a X with a AEM intake and it does not fit."

I haven't purchased pipes yet, but the AEM is already installed on the car. This came from a very reputable shop so there is cause for concern, for me at least. I would rather not have to replace the AEM intake with another intake if I dont' have to. Anyone ran into this problem? Is it just the AMS LICP, or any aftermarket LICP that has problems being installed with the AEM intake because of the stock air box?

Thanks in advance!

-CI
Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

DAMNIT!

I just read this on AMS's website! "The AMS Lower Intercooler Pipe will not fit with the stock airbox." Now what the heck to I do??? Are there any aftermarket LICP's that will work with the AEM intake? Do I even need to replace the LICP? From what I've read, the most noticeable gains are from the UICP. I'm getting the last few supporting mods for my tune with an FP Red and Cosworth Cams. Maybe I can get by just replacing the Upper pipe and running the stock Lower with the AMS FMIC?

What's the general consensus?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

+1
Old Sep 2, 2009, 05:28 AM

Replacing the stock LICP will no net you any power gains. So no real need to worry about changing it