Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch or turbo problmes, help please.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch or turbo problmes, help please.

ok si i go into first gear and have the rpm's at about 3000 and slip into second (this is normal everyday driving) then i need to accelerate some more so i put about 80% of throttle and the rpms just build up to 4k's and all f a sudden the power kicks in, It's like I depressed the clutch accelerated and then let of the clutch again, it happens through all the gears, the funny thing is that i launched my car form first to fourth and it didnt happen, its not like something that happens only sometimes, it happens everytime, sometimes it just doesn't happen. its an evo x with 5000miles gsr. downpipe, highflow cat, k&n drop in and accesport, i have launched it 4 times. already put the stock map on and still the same thing. do you think if air gt in the system it will cause this? or is my clutch gone?

thank's a lot

Last edited by jeangtd; Sep 6, 2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like good old fashioned turbo lag the way you've described it. If your clutch is slipping, you should hear/see your rpm's jump under heavy acceleartion without any real change in speed.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

No CEL or anything? I dont see how any part you've installed could cause this. If nothing else, take it to the dealer.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

My clutch just started slipping... I get a jump in rpm's soon as I let off the gas, no throttle.... but I have launched several times at the track... Sounds like it is something other than the clutch... I agree with ^^^ take it to the dealer...
Old Sep 6, 2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by evolvedx
Sounds like good old fashioned turbo lag the way you've described it. If your clutch is slipping, you should hear/see your rpm's jump under heavy acceleartion without any real change in speed.

No dealer here for the evo, private import, mitsubishi in my country doesnt import evos so i have to do everything myself, anyway i am a skilled semi skilled mechanic if you guys can help me out in what abd where to look for id start with that
Old Sep 6, 2009, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by evolvedx
and yes i see and hear my rpms jump under heavy acceleration and no change in speed but then all of a sudden boom, it feels like the clutch slipped and then it engaged again and when it engages the car feels like it had twin turbos.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn on your car, put it into fourth, and let out your clutch, Does the car immediately stall, or stutter for a bit and then stall?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
Turn on your car, put it into fourth, and let out your clutch, Does the car immediately stall, or stutter for a bit and then stall?
do i let out the clutch right away or gradually let it out like you would normally do. I can still drive the car normally but when the turbo kicks in first it builds up revs and then the car takes of, in that order, not lineal like it was before
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just like normally, If it doesnt stall, your clutch is gone. It does sound like your clutch is on its way out. when the car takes off are the revs dropping back down ?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

It might just be turbo lag - has the weather been different lately? Does your rpm jump without a change in speed? If so, then that's more likely a slipping clutch. Otherwise, it may be normal turbo lag that has been more noticeable due to recent weather.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by LaXGSR
It might just be turbo lag - has the weather been different lately? Does your rpm jump without a change in speed? If so, then that's more likely a slipping clutch. Otherwise, it may be normal turbo lag that has been more noticeable due to recent weather.

yes it jumps from 3k to 4k without anychange in speed then all of a sudden the car takes of like it saved all of the power from 3k to 4k and then delivered it all at once.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jeangtd
yes it jumps from 3k to 4k without anychange in speed then all of a sudden the car takes of like it saved all of the power from 3k to 4k and then delivered it all at once.
Oh ok then definitely clutch slip. If you try putting it in fourth gear at 2000 rpm's and floor it, it will probably do the same thing and be VERY obvious.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by LaXGSR
Oh ok then definitely clutch slip. If you try putting it in fourth gear at 2000 rpm's and floor it, it will probably do the same thing and be VERY obvious.
yes sir. so the next step is? i am planning on maybe 100whp over stock, max.

why did it fail. 4 launches is not that much and only two of the four times did i let the clutch slip and smelled clutch burn. mod's arent extensive. when it slips i cant smell burnt clutch, is that normal? is there anyway smething other than a dead clutch is causing it to slip?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

no! the way your describing the behavior of your car is exactly what thousands of other people have also experienced and described on this fourm including me! it sounds like it is 99.9% your clutch, as for a new one... if your short on cash act is good, if your a baller get a twin disk exedy...im sure searching will help alot with helping you decide what clutch you need Good luck!
Old Sep 6, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jeangtd
yes sir. so the next step is? i am planning on maybe 100whp over stock, max.

why did it fail. 4 launches is not that much and only two of the four times did i let the clutch slip and smelled clutch burn. mod's arent extensive. when it slips i cant smell burnt clutch, is that normal? is there anyway smething other than a dead clutch is causing it to slip?
4 launches is plenty enough on a stock X clutch. Evos eat stock clutches. If you're really going to stop modding at 100whp over stock, than an ACT will do you just fine.

Quick Reply: Clutch or turbo problmes, help please.