Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X Intake Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be interesting to see the Dyno tests using these intake.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the K&N ( Actually that install picture looks like my car when it was first installed) , either way I have no complaints as far as the intake goes.

There is an issue and you might run into this with others that don't have a blow off vale or recirculating valve relocated if you go for another strut bar. The fitment with a PW:JDM bar with stock recirc valve taps the bar at around100 mph/ 4k rpm, also over bumps but we should all be used to rattling over bumps by now. An Agency Power BOV fits fine in full recirc, but wont if you attach the horn for 50/50 or 100% VTA. A piece of adhesive foam under the bar at that point solves the rattling issue. I have hard BOV piping as well so if stock you might be able to fit it better.

I cant do a real cold air intake as I live in Jersey and we have some flooding issues by the shore, however If I were to get any other short ram, I would still make sure it had heat sheild and utilized the stock air funnel , but that is my take on it. Hope I helped with the info.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

What was the real power contribution of this admission?
Do you have any Dyno sheet before installation and another after installing the intake ?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Malaxa
What was the real power contribution of this admission?
Do you have any Dyno sheet before installation and another after installing the intake ?
If the question was directed at my post ,( it wasn't quoted). The OP asked for advise on intakes. I have a K&N and I like it, so by not using any of other intakes ( I had a AEM in my Mazda but that doesn't count) . I simply gave the OP my opinion, I have and I like it.
As far as any Dyno sheet NO, I could find the K&N marketing sheet but I don't believe any of marketing's numbers on such things. I can only state that it is much better than stock and I am happy with it.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have heard some of the intakes make the bov louder. any idea which ones do and which ones dont?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gunther45
If the question was directed at my post ,( it wasn't quoted). The OP asked for advise on intakes. I have a K&N and I like it, so by not using any of other intakes ( I had a AEM in my Mazda but that doesn't count) . I simply gave the OP my opinion, I have and I like it.
As far as any Dyno sheet NO, I could find the K&N marketing sheet but I don't believe any of marketing's numbers on such things. I can only state that it is much better than stock and I am happy with it.

I refer to your message but also to any others.
I do not deny that it is better now.
Want to know which are real numbers.
Does anyone have a Dyno sheet for a stock EVO X?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:12 AM

Here is a Link to the K&N that has stock and their filter. The numbers seem low to me and I don't buy marketing numbers either way.

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-6546_dyno.pdf

You could use this along with any other intake sheet but I would imagine they also include a stock run as well, although they might add down pipe, remove the cat and have a nice exhaust , so read the fine print.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by thisisagame24
i have heard some of the intakes make the bov louder. any idea which ones do and which ones dont?
You will always hear the Air Suck aspect of the intake regardless, as far as purge if you were doing 100% VTA then it wouldn't matter, I you were doing 50/50 then yes you do hear it, but it was more flutter with my AP BOV( but sound was coming out of intake, probably self cleans the filter a bit as well, LOL )but thats why I went back to stock diverter valve, I don't want any flutter. Even at full recirc , I heard it through my intake, so the BOV depending on your setup might make the intake louder on the purge but I don't think the intake makes the BOV any louder.
If you are just concerned about sound any Intake will make more and cooler sounds then the box.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wasnt worried about the sounds at all trying to keep the car quiet for a little while haha
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by garageGT

Stay away from oil based filters unless you want to buy a spare MAF sensor.
Not true. The MAF only gets covered in oil if the filter was over-oiled to begin with. Even if it does get covered with oil & dirt, just clean the MAF with electronics cleaner.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Know this isnt really going to help the OP but since this is a thread about devoted solely to EVO X intakes i thought i would share. i am running a custom intake by AMS. they created one for me that did not have the DV return one it.

i run a blow through setup with a VTA BOV so no need for the return in the intake.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

K & N is a respectable company, no one questioned it.
But everybody knows that advertising is the mother of commerce.
I do not want to take into account what the producer said, I prefer the results of a customer.
Cotton or foam filters and oil are criticized because they are dangerous.
Can I generate failures.
Air flow meter can be damaged or go confused.
The truth is that once wet the filter is good to start a car accelerate and then remove the sensor and clean it with brake cleaner spray.
Refit and the result is perfect.

Last edited by Malaxa; Dec 20, 2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 02:06 AM

Intake

COBB SF Intake for two years no problems. The best 20hp 21tq
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Updated pictures.

Thanks!

Michael
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Hks
Attached Thumbnails Evo X Intake Thread-image_185.jpg   Evo X Intake Thread-image_186.jpg  

Quick Reply: Evo X Intake Thread