Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil Analysis - Who is doing it here?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:22 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquid Gold
By Law, a warranty cannot be voided due to maintenance practices (Intervals).

The OEM must prove that was the fault. By Law, they bear "The Burden of Proof"

Dealers always try to pull the wool over your eyes telling you this or that will void your warranty. A Dealer cannot void a warranty for anything. It must be done by an OEM Rep.

LG
Yes, they can indeed be voided because you didn't follow the recommended maintenance intervals. The intervals are part of the agreement of the limited warranty. They cannot be ignored because some guy on the internet says you can go for longer drain intervals. It's the owner's choice to go with longer drain intervals. That's fine, everyone can do what they want with their car. They should just be informed that doing so can void their warranty.

One thing about AMSOIL since you're a rep. You do realize that running your signature series oil (which you all recommend for the Evo) can void the warranty? It's a 0W-30 oil. To adhere to the limited powertrain warranty you have to run the specified 5W-30 synthetic oil. Running anything not at the spec provided can void your warranty. What does AMSOIL do in these situations? Do you stand up for the consumer and help fight the legal battle for them? Do you replace the damaged parts that are no longer covered under warranty?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:24 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by LaXGSR
Here ya go (from RussellM at mitsubishiparts.net):

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...quirments.html
Thanks, I appreciate it I just realized I had posted in that thread. Silly me. I completely forgot about it because that thread is so old.

Thankfully I'm covered. I changed my oil/filter at 1,7XX miles and just changed it this weekend at 4,7XX miles. I guess I was following the new schedule and didn't even know it
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adambl03
Yes, they can indeed be voided because you didn't follow the recommended maintenance intervals. The intervals are part of the agreement of the limited warranty. They cannot be ignored because some guy on the internet says you can go for longer drain intervals. It's the owner's choice to go with longer drain intervals. That's fine, everyone can do what they want with their car. They should just be informed that doing so can void their warranty.

One thing about AMSOIL since you're a rep. You do realize that running your signature series oil (which you all recommend for the Evo) can void the warranty? It's a 0W-30 oil. To adhere to the limited powertrain warranty you have to run the specified 5W-30 synthetic oil. Running anything not at the spec provided can void your warranty. What does AMSOIL do in these situations? Do you stand up for the consumer and help fight the legal battle for them? Do you replace the damaged parts that are no longer covered under warranty?
I see.. So Mits can void a Warranty even though the Federal Goverment says they can't. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Viscosity can not void a Warranty just by saying it is the wrong viscosity. You (some guy on the net) cannot change the Law.. And niether can Mits.

I would like to know how one 30 weight oil voids a warranty and another does not. And yes, AMSOIL has a warranty. But please show me something on official and verifiable Mitsubishi Letter head along with Signatures. I will gladly forward it to the Legal Department.

If you would like to talk to me in person, send me a PM and we will discuss this without a bunch of Stuff loading the Thread. Or send me a PM with your phone number. I will gladly pay for the call.

LG
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:15 AM
EvoM Community Team

I see.. So Mits can void a Warranty even though the Federal Goverment says they can't. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Viscosity can not void a Warranty just by saying it is the wrong viscosity. You (some guy on the net) cannot change the Law.. And niether can Mits.

I would like to know how one 30 weight oil voids a warranty and another does not. And yes, AMSOIL has a warranty. But please show me something on official and verifiable Mitsubishi Letter head along with Signatures. I will gladly forward it to the Legal Department.

If you would like to talk to me in person, send me a PM and we will discuss this without a bunch of Stuff loading the Thread. Or send me a PM with your phone number. I will gladly pay for the call.

LG
How much of the Mag-Moss have you read? Are you sure you understand it? By your comments, you don't. Mag-Moss protects consumers so they aren't forced to use OEM parts/fluids/etc on their vehicle and that aftermarket parts (assuming they meet specs of the OEM manufacturer) cannot immediately void a warranty. It does not supercede specifications of the parts/fluids as set by the manufacturer.

The act doesn't unconditionally protect consumers...as you are implying. A condition of an automotive warranty is the maintenance of the vehicle. The consumer's neglect or not following the maintenance schedule can void the warranty. It is clearly worded in the warranty booklet included in your car. Mag-Moss cannot protect against neglect or poor maintenance habits.

Also, clearly worded in the owner's manual is the type of oil required with whatever specifications and certifications it must meet. In the case of the Evo, it is specified that a 5W-30 synthetic oil is required. I don't remember what certifications it needs. If an owner chooses to run anything other than that spec/type of oil, than they are running a risk of having any warranty claims denied. In your case, AMSOIL signature series is NOT the correct spec. Is it a great oil? Hell yeah. Does it meet the spec listed in the owner's manual? No, it does not.

An example of oil is VW and Audi. They require a very specific certification for any oil put into their vehicles. If you put in any oil that does not meet that specific certification, they can void your warranty. There are plenty of oil producers who meet the VW/Audi spec. AMSOIL does not meet the spec and use of it can void a warranty on a VW/Audi vehicle.

These two warranty stipulations are not unique to Mitsubishi. You'll find the exact same thing for every single new automobile sold in the US. Can't get away from that.

Like I said before. It's up to the owner of the vehicle to decide what oil they want to use and what interval they want to follow. They are free to do whatever they want. What they need to be aware of is that they are potentially jeopardizing their warranty. It's as simple as that.

Last edited by atombomb33; Sep 17, 2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

How much of the Mag-Moss have you read? Are you sure you understand it? By your comments, you don't. Mag-Moss protects consumers so they aren't forced to use OEM parts/fluids/etc on their vehicle and that aftermarket parts (assuming they meet specs of the OEM manufacturer) cannot immediately void a warranty. It doesn't not supercede specifications of the parts/fluids as set by the manufacturer.

The act doesn't unconditionally protect consumers...as you are implying. A condition of an automotive warranty is the maintenance of the vehicle. The consumer's neglect or not following the maintenance schedule can void the warranty. It is clearly worded in the warranty booklet included in your car. Mag-Moss cannot protect against neglect or poor maintenance habits.

Also, clearly worded in the owner's manual is the type of oil required with whatever specifications and certifications it must meet. In the case of the Evo, it is specified that a 5W-30 synthetic oil is required. I don't remember what certifications it needs. If an owner chooses to run anything other than that spec/type of oil, than they are running a risk of having any warranty claims denied. In your case, AMSOIL signature series is NOT the correct spec. Is it a great oil? Hell yeah. Does it meet the spec listed in the owner's manual? No, it does not.

An example of oil is VW and Audi. They require a very specific certification for any oil put into their vehicles. If you put in any oil that does not meet that specific certification, they can void your warranty. There are plenty of oil producers who meet the VW/Audi spec. AMSOIL does not meet the spec and use of it can void a warranty on a VW/Audi vehicle.

These two warranty stipulations are not unique to Mitsubishi. You'll find the exact same thing for every single new automobile sold in the US. Can't get away from that.

Like I said before. It's up to the owner of the vehicle to decide what oil they want to use and what interval they want to follow. They are free to do whatever they want. What they need to be aware of is that they are potentially jeopardizing their warranty. It's as simple as that.
Very well said! If you want your warranty, use 5w-30 as the manual specifies, not 0w-30 or 10w-40 or any other spec. Mitsubishi is pretty clear about the oil viscosity required.

Also, whether Mitsu can legally void your warranty, and whether they will, are two different stories. Even if someone thinks it might not be 100% legal, Mitsu can void your warranty and know that you most likely will not have the money to fund a legal battle. That does not make it right, but they can do it anyway. I would guess 90% of people would not fight it in court, and the remaining 10% might spend more in court fees than it would have cost to just pay for the repair. It's sad, but it's how it works here in the US imo.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:31 PM

That is not correct.

I know the Magnuson-Moss Act quite well. I have a copy stored on my computer. I also use to keep a copy on the wall in my Shops. Came in handy when a Dealer tried to tell people what voided a warranty.

The oil only needs to meet or exceed the API Requirements set forth, not the Viscosity Grade.

How would an oil with a better cold flow rate void a warranty?

Mits cannot inherently void a warranty. They must prove fault.

Send me an Official Document from Mits and I will have it looked at by the Legal Dept.

If I am wrong, I will Wholeheartedly apologize. But I did double check this with Legal this morning, all they want is an Official Document from Mits.

LG
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:07 AM
EvoM Community Team

That is not correct.

I know the Magnuson-Moss Act quite well. I have a copy stored on my computer. I also use to keep a copy on the wall in my Shops. Came in handy when a Dealer tried to tell people what voided a warranty.

The oil only needs to meet or exceed the API Requirements set forth, not the Viscosity Grade.

How would an oil with a better cold flow rate void a warranty?

Mits cannot inherently void a warranty. They must prove fault.

Send me an Official Document from Mits and I will have it looked at by the Legal Dept.

If I am wrong, I will Wholeheartedly apologize. But I did double check this with Legal this morning, all they want is an Official Document from Mits.

LG
The official document is located in the glove compartment of every car sold in America. The oil requirements and maintenance requirements are clearly outlined and how they relate to the warranty are also outlined.

I understand the "need to prove fault" part of the equation. And, you're 100% correct. But, if there is an engine failure of any kind and they test your oil and find out it isn't the correct oil, they will have justifiable cause to decline warranty coverage. Then it is up to the consumer to determine if they want to fight it in court. 99.9% of the guys on this forum don't have the financial resources to fight it. Another example is if you cannot prove that you've maintained the vehicle within the stipulated maintenance intervals. If you haven't, again they'll have justifiable cause to decline warranty coverage. And, again, mostly nobody would have the funds to fight it in court.

Do I believe it's "right" for auto manufacturers to be able to do that? Heck no. But, it's the sad reality we live in.

The reason I say all these things is that the guys on this board should be informed with correct information. The choices are up to them because it is their car and their money.

And, like I've said before, AMSOIL makes top-notch oil (perhaps the best on the market). It's good stuff.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:11 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The official document is located in the glove compartment of every car sold in America. The oil requirements and maintenance requirements are clearly outlined and how they relate to the warranty are also outlined.

I understand the "need to prove fault" part of the equation. And, you're 100% correct. But, if there is an engine failure of any kind and they test your oil and find out it isn't the correct oil, they will have justifiable cause to decline warranty coverage. Then it is up to the consumer to determine if they want to fight it in court. 99.9% of the guys on this forum don't have the financial resources to fight it. Another example is if you cannot prove that you've maintained the vehicle within the stipulated maintenance intervals. If you haven't, again they'll have justifiable cause to decline warranty coverage. And, again, mostly nobody would have the funds to fight it in court.

Do I believe it's "right" for auto manufacturers to be able to do that? Heck no. But, it's the sad reality we live in.

The reason I say all these things is that the guys on this board should be informed with correct information. The choices are up to them because it is their car and their money.

And, like I've said before, AMSOIL makes top-notch oil (perhaps the best on the market). It's good stuff.
There is no best oil. There is just very good oil depending on application and need.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

all these oil threads are funny!! If you drive your car just on the street. your wasting your time "sending your oil for analysis" it's a lancer. I think mitsu spends millions of dollars on research and development for a reason. Im pretty sure they know what is good for your and what's not. Use whats recomended and you will be fine.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 05:36 PM

The oil ONLY has to meet the API Requirements set forth, not the Viscosity grade.

The reason I say this is because the guys on this board need to know they have Specific Legal Rights.

You cannot tell me that anyone on this board cannot afford an Oil Analysis Kit for $22.25.

A friend of mine won a warranty (From Mits) just by showing the oil analysis to the Rep. The Analysis showed that the oil was still serviceable and of the proper API Spec. The Rep immediately signed off on the Warranty.

Again: Get me what you are saying on Official Mits Letterhead along with the Signatures and I will have the Legal Dept take it from there.

So let's stop bickering in the Forum, just get me that Document in the form I asked. If it is not on Mits Letterhead and Signed, it is not Official.

What you are saying is against the law for the OEM or Dealer to put forth.

LG
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:21 PM
EvoM Community Team

The oil ONLY has to meet the API Requirements set forth, not the Viscosity grade.

The reason I say this is because the guys on this board need to know they have Specific Legal Rights.

You cannot tell me that anyone on this board cannot afford an Oil Analysis Kit for $22.25.

A friend of mine won a warranty (From Mits) just by showing the oil analysis to the Rep. The Analysis showed that the oil was still serviceable and of the proper API Spec. The Rep immediately signed off on the Warranty.

Again: Get me what you are saying on Official Mits Letterhead along with the Signatures and I will have the Legal Dept take it from there.

So let's stop bickering in the Forum, just get me that Document in the form I asked. If it is not on Mits Letterhead and Signed, it is not Official.

What you are saying is against the law for the OEM or Dealer to put forth.

LG
You clearly don't understand. This is not a Mitsubishi-specific issue. This is the same across every single auto manufacturer who can legally sell vehicles in the US. It is legal language that you can find in the owner's manual of every single vehicle sold in the US. Your legal department doesn't need anything other than the owner's manual from any car.

You're skirting the issue and asking for something you don't need and something that isn't going to save someone's warranty if they follow your advice (longer drain intervals and using an unspecified oil).
Old Sep 20, 2009, 02:12 AM

You clearly don't understand. This is not a Mitsubishi-specific issue. This is the same across every single auto manufacturer who can legally sell vehicles in the US. It is legal language that you can find in the owner's manual of every single vehicle sold in the US. Your legal department doesn't need anything other than the owner's manual from any car.

You're skirting the issue and asking for something you don't need and something that isn't going to save someone's warranty if they follow your advice (longer drain intervals and using an unspecified oil).
I understand just fine.. You don't seem to.

I have already been there, dealt with the issues.

They cannot require anything other than API Specs.

I asked for the Documents as I was pretty sure they could not be supplied as what was listed in the one post would require, by Law, for Mitsubishi to pay for the oil during the Warranty Period. They can recommend a Brand, they can not REQUIRE a brand. All they can require is API Specifications be met.

With selling aftermarket parts, I have dealt with the Magnuson-Moss Act in my businesses for 33 years now.

Have a great day.

LG
Old Sep 21, 2009, 06:49 AM
EvoM Community Team

I understand just fine.. You don't seem to.

I have already been there, dealt with the issues.

They cannot require anything other than API Specs.

I asked for the Documents as I was pretty sure they could not be supplied as what was listed in the one post would require, by Law, for Mitsubishi to pay for the oil during the Warranty Period. They can recommend a Brand, they can not REQUIRE a brand. All they can require is API Specifications be met.

With selling aftermarket parts, I have dealt with the Magnuson-Moss Act in my businesses for 33 years now.

Have a great day.

LG

So many things misleading in your posts. Where to start?

First, in the middle of the API specs logo is the grade of the oil. 5W30 in the case of the Evo. Meaning, Mitsubishi is stipulating that you run a 5W30 oil in the car. They also specify that the oil needs to be a synthetic (cannot be a blend). In the owner's manual the API specs and Mitsubishi's specs are clearly noted. And you'll find the same in every owner's manual in every new car sold in the US. And they also list the mandatory oil specs for gear and differential oils. Gotta follow them as well. On occasion a secondary oil spec will be listed for cold weather climates. Those would then also be acceptable because they are listed by the manufacturer as an acceptable oil.

Second, you're wrong about API specs. API specs are not the only requirements that need to be met. It's all dependent on the manufacturer of the car. For instance, there are also OEM-specific oil requirements that need to be met. For instance, VW's 500.00, 501.00 and 505.00 specs. Or Mercedes' MB – 229.1, 229.3 or 229.5. Then there's BMW's LL98. And the list goes on. If you look on the back of an oil bottle (doesn't matter the brand) you'll see all these notations about different car brands. These are the requirements I just noted and those notations mean that bottle of oil meets those OEM-specfic requirements. If you run an oil in any of those cars that does not meet that specific requirement, your warranty can be voided.

I realize that AMSOIL does not prescribe to the notion that OEM mandated oil specs need to be followed. I've seen the arguments in VW/Audi, BMW and Mercedes forums by sales reps just like you. And every single one of you has been wrong. Just like you are in this instance.

I'll mention again, if your lawyers want to spend time reviewing a legally-binding document, please have them review an owner's manual, the accompanying warranty booklet and the accompanying maintenance interval book. That's all the legally-binding documentation that is required in the US for an auto manufacturer to enforce what is written in those booklets.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:55 AM

We are not talking VW or Mercedes.. Mits uses API.. This is a Mitsubishi Forum, is it not ? Maybe I got confused and clicked the wrong link and it says VW at the top.

Quit bringing AMSOIL into this.. This has all been battled many times over in court. All the OEM can do is make a recommendation for Brand of product. They cannot require Brand.

5W-30 is not a Spec that will void a warranty..

You are misleading people here and the thought is almost like you work for Mits or a Dealer and have been misinformed by someone to keep people coming back unnecessarily to a dealer.

Next you will be telling me that you have to use an OEM Filter to maintain warranty.

LG
Old Sep 21, 2009, 08:56 AM
EvoM Community Team

We are not talking VW or Mercedes.. Mits uses API.. This is a Mitsubishi Forum, is it not ? Maybe I got confused and clicked the wrong link and it says VW at the top.

Quit bringing AMSOIL into this.. This has all been battled many times over in court. All the OEM can do is make a recommendation for Brand of product. They cannot require Brand.

5W-30 is not a Spec that will void a warranty..

You are misleading people here and the thought is almost like you work for Mits or a Dealer and have been misinformed by someone to keep people coming back unnecessarily to a dealer.

Next you will be telling me that you have to use an OEM Filter to maintain warranty.

LG
Do you realize I'm not talking about brand? I'm talking about the specifications of the oil.

VW was an example. Can we not use examples? I also gave you an example for Mitsu. I have to give examples because you speak in generalities. I used the examples to provide context to the statements I make when I refute your claims.

I've never said anything about requiring to use a specific brand. Don't put words in my posts that aren't there. I've never inferred it either. I know they can't require you to use any specific brand. I fully understand that without a doubt.

But, what I am saying (and you still don't understand) is that legally Mitsubishi (or any auto manufacturer) can mandate the specifications of the oil that are required to maintain the manufacturer's warranty. The specifications have NOTHING to do with brand chosen/used. Like I said, an owner can choose to run whatever oil they want. They just have to understand that they are jeopardizing their warranty if they don't run the specified oil.

What I'm also saying is that if a consumer makes the choice to not follow the manufacturer's stated maintenance schedule, that consumer is running the risk of voiding their warranty simply because they didn't follow the maintenance schedule. Deciding to go with longer drain intervals (as you recommended earlier in this thread) is an instance that can void a warranty. "Can" being the operative word in that statement. There is no secondary stipulation allowing the consumer to deviate from the maintenance schedule as outlined by any manufacturer. All of this is clearly outlined in the owner's manual and Mag-Moss does not protect consumers who decline to follow the maintenance requirements of their vehicle.

You say you've fought these things in court. Provide a case name. We can all Google it and read the proceedings and find out the verdict. Be sure the case is exactly the situation I've described. One, the consumer used the incorrect oil. Or, two, the consumer neglected the maintenance schedule.

Quick Reply: Oil Analysis - Who is doing it here?