Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS downpipe question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS downpipe question

Is this a easy install for a muffler shop or does it involve alot more than just bolting it up?

Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

it is just a bolt up item, however some of the bolts are in tricky spots, depending on how good of a shop you go to it may take them a while, just make sure they don't charge you too much.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:43 AM

should take them 30mins tops.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a regular downpipe? Or 02 downpipe? Big difference.
Regular downpipe, do it yourself, it is easy.
02 Downpipe, unless your so inclined to spend a few hours under your car, have a shop do it.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

It was quite a difficult job to install the AMS widemouth downpipe since it replaces the entire O2 housing as well. I highly suggest a shop to do it but if you are good at DIYs then you could probably get it done in a few hours.

Be careful not to break any bolts. Otherwise it's going to be alot more difficult. You will be extremely happy with it so it is definitely worth it.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tearitdown9
I'd love to see someone do it in 30 minutes tops
The regular downpipe no problem but 02 housing downpipe is another story
Old Sep 15, 2009, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't let a muffler shop do it.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 04:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by XxLaNcErGTSxX
Is this a easy install for a muffler shop or does it involve alot more than just bolting it up?

Thanks
Although this part performs VERY well it is not the easiest thing in the world to install. I would take it to a trusted shop who has experience with the evo 10.

Originally Posted by tearitdown9
I would assume you are talking about removing and installing the downpipe section. Our downpipe includes the o2 housing as well so the install is much harder. If you were talking about the entire thing then i think we can make room for one more tech over here if you want a job
Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
let AMS do it if you are close enough. i wimped out for the first time when it came to this. well shoulder surgery was the main reason ,but AMS took care of me and my car
Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:11 PM

From your question it sounds as though you want to know if the muffler shop would have a hard time installing the exhaust system, correct? I would say if it's a credible shop they should know how to install that system and be able to give it a warranty for the work.

For just my header system I didn't have a problem with anything until I found out that the downpipe for the header wasn't matching up with the rest of the exhaust. Then I took it to an exhaust pro shop and was only charged half of what they quoted me because I already had the header attached.

If you are personally going to install it I wouldn't see why you would have a problem unless it wasn't a direct bolt-on product. I have an 04 Lancer and the bolts were slightly rusted but I just used Amsoil MP spray and an electric double clutch impact wrench to get them off. I'm not sure I would recommend a normal air compressor impact gun because it might have too much torque off the line. An electric impact gun that plugs into your car lighter spools up and then taps the bolt...makes shop jobs or tire rotations more pleasant.

As a final note, check around on Youtube.com because I remember seeing a video on how to change the exhaust on a Lancer.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by sonicrx
let AMS do it if you are close enough. i wimped out for the first time when it came to this. well shoulder surgery was the main reason ,but AMS took care of me and my car
Understood. My neck was absolutely killing me days after I installed my header...I need a pillow under the car or something.