Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine Temp sensor question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2009, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Temp sensor question

So I cant be the only one that thinks Mitsu dropped the ball by not having the engine temp gauge on all the time. After reading a site about a guy repurposing an engine temp gauge for his water-air intercooler, Intercooler temp gauge, I thought about trying that with the outside air temp gauge. It wont work, unfortunately the display seems to have a range of -22F to 122F so too low to be an engine temp gauge. The resistances dont match up with what he had for his autometer sensor, and I couldnt find charts for other sensors temp/ristance readings. If needed I have the resistance readings for various displayed temps of the stock gauge.

My question is does anybody know if the stock outside air temp gauge can be reprogrammed easily to correspond with standard off the shelf water temp gauges? If so that would be great, add a real engine temp gauge to the stock gauge cluster by repurposing a guage most people could do without. If its not possible or too expensive to bother no big deal just thought I would ask, maybe somebody smarter than me can chime in on the feasibility of this.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:42 AM

Bump
Anybody have any thoughts on this idea? Its probably too expensive to be worth it but I thought somebody would have some ideas.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:54 AM

From the lack of input I guess this is a waste of time, I've already written it off as a failed idea anyway.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I didn't see this idea earlier but it's not a bad one by any means. I think some people were trying to reprogram the center dash for various functions but it's definitely not easy to accomplish. It's a matter of recalibrating whatever sensor you use to the programming that controls the dash display and I personally would have no idea where to start but it would seem possible.

Next best bet is to just get an auxillary gauge setup and custom choose what you want to monitor. Boost, AFR, Coolant Temp, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, EGR etc.